Confirmed with Link: August 2012: Scott Hartnell Signs Extension (6 years, $4.75m cap hit, limited NMC)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Okay, my mistake. I knew Hartnell as being a tough guy when he came over from Nashville, but I didn't know he had a resume of scoring.
Where is it now, when his team needs it so much?

You have to remember Hartnell was a former 1st round pick (6th overall in 2000) & he came into the league immediately at 18 with Nashville as well so it took a bit for him to get a scoring touch but he gradually did so before getting moved out to Philly.

2000-2001: 75GP 2G
2001-2002: 75GP 14G
2002-2003: 82GP 12G
2003-2004: 59GP 18G
2004-2005: Lockout
2005-2006: 82GP 25G
2006-2007: 64GP 22G

That's his stats with the Preds.

Last edited:

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
You have to remember Hartnell was a former 1st round pick (6th overall in 2000) & he came into the league immediately at 18 with Nashville as well so it took a bit for him to get a scoring touch but he gradually did so before getting moved out to Philly.

2000-2001: 75GP 2G
2001-2002: 75GP 14G
2002-2003: 82GP 12G
2003-2004: 59GP 18G
2004-2005: Lockout
2005-2006: 82GP 25G
2006-2007: 64GP 22G

That's his stats with the Preds.
Okay, thanks....I didn't know that about him. So he IS a potential 25-30 goal player. The only problem with being said to have potential is that the potential isn't often achieved.....and that is the case with this fan favourite.
Out of some of the 1st rounders on this current Flyers team, Vinnie is playing well, and so is Downie. Giroux and Hartnell have been awful, G is starting to gain some of his mojo again, but Hartsy still looks like he's on holiday.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Right now he's on pace for around 16. If he gets a bit streaky he can hit 20 no problem.

G struggling and Voracek (can we have last year V back?) isn't helping, but I don't see Hartnell playing as strong of a game all around. A lot less snarl.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
One thing Hartnell is doing better is not challenging for the league lead in minor penalties as he does every season.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Okay, thanks....I didn't know that about him. So he IS a potential 25-30 goal player. The only problem with being said to have potential is that the potential isn't often achieved.....and that is the case with this fan favourite.
Out of some of the 1st rounders on this current Flyers team, Vinnie is playing well, and so is Downie. Giroux and Hartnell have been awful, G is starting to gain some of his mojo again, but Hartsy still looks like he's on holiday.

No offense but did you just start following the Flyers last season?

Hartnell reached his potential. He has been almost automatic for 20-25 goals a season along with the grit and tough play he brings.

One of the best things about Hartnell is he scores his 20-25 goals regardless of who his centerman is. He has done it with a run and gun guy like like Carter, a two way guy like Richards, a shoot first guy like Briere, and a playmaker like Giroux.

His worse regular season as a Flyer was 2010 but he then more made up for it by busting out in the playoffs in 2010.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Right now he's on pace for around 16. If he gets a bit streaky he can hit 20 no problem.

G struggling and Voracek (can we have last year V back?) isn't helping, but I don't see Hartnell playing as strong of a game all around. A lot less snarl.

I've noticed this for a few years. Against the Penguins he plays angry because of the numerous cheap shots both teams like to take, but otherwise Hartnell usually only sticks out when he takes a bad penalty or scores a fluky type Goal. He also prefers someone else do the heavy lifting for him in the OZone.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
So....I see Hartnell scored really early.

I'm gonna go ahead and take credit for that. You're welcome.

The only people who should take credit for that goal are Steve Downie, Sean Couturier, and Matt Read. Not even Hartnell should take credit for it.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
Hartnell needs to go somewhere. He is reeeeally dragging down this 1st line. Him and Simmonds cant be on the same line. And you cant break up that 3rd line at this point.

Where the hell do they put Hartnell? Healthy scratch? 4th line to humble him a little?

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
No offense but did you just start following the Flyers last season?

Hartnell reached his potential. He has been almost automatic for 20-25 goals a season along with the grit and tough play he brings.

One of the best things about Hartnell is he scores his 20-25 goals regardless of who his centerman is. He has done it with a run and gun guy like like Carter, a two way guy like Richards, a shoot first guy like Briere, and a playmaker like Giroux.

His worse regular season as a Flyer was 2010 but he then more made up for it by busting out in the playoffs in 2010.

Ha! No offense taken ;) I have been a Flyers fan since they joined the NHL in 1967. Being as how I'm originally from the UK, our coverage was merely through my subscription to The Hockey News publication ( which always arrived two weeks late, thanks to our crappy postal service).
I now live in South Jersey, but I'm not able to follow them as closely as I wish, ( I'm a chef, and my work consumes most of my time).
When I do get a chance to view a game, I've been disappointed with Hartnell's playing. He should play more like Tocchet used to play. Get in front of the net, piss off the opposition's goalie and defense, and scoop in rebounds. What I see him doing too often of late, is trying to be a finesse player. That ain't his game, and the sooner he gets back to parking in front of the goalie's again can't come soon enough for me.

SgtJoseph*

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too much Hartnell hate going on here ! Harts now has 5 goals and is getting his game going in the right direction . Harts is certainly not a pretty skater which draws attention to him when he is struggling and folks automatically start on the " get rid of Hartnell " bandwagon .........Hartnell is a Philadelphia Flyers legend of sorts in my view !I like harts and his Blue Collar approach to hockey . Hows the " trade Coots" nonsense working for some of you ? The get rid of Roo nonsense ? Many of the " children" on here get their panties all in a wad when a player is struggling instead of supporting the player or the team during such times ...Go Flyers ! Hows Nicky Foles working for you now ?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
His average shooting % is about 13 in Flyers uniform.
After megadeal downhill.
You can and should practice your shot,i just think he got lazy and stopped practicing.
Age does NOT affect shooting % as much people think.

Hartnell strikes you as some sort of sniper that he all of a sudden would shoot the lights out just because he practices his shot? Players can practice their shot all they want, statistical analysis is rather consistent in that when you have an aberration (no matter how long it lasts), it eventually returns to form. Still though, shaving 3% off of your shooting percentage in regressing to the mean (assuming 13 is the mean, it isn't for his career), that's a lot for a guy who is useless when he isn't on a hot streak. This is someone who should still have more than 1 power play goal in 21 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad