Confirmed with Link: [Aug. 20, 2021] Travis Sanheim new contract 2 x $4.675 - MOD WARNING POST 1

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Last three years he was getting the 2nd most ES TOI, behind only Provy. What he surely won’t get in Philly is much PP time. His AAV would be a lot higher if he had more PP production to bargain with.
That’s why he’s not on the powerplay. They only put recently signed long term guys on the powerplay. As soon as Provorov signed his deal he replaced Ghost. If a player in Philly has to sign a new deal soon, he does not see PP time.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
That’s why he’s not on the powerplay. They only put recently signed long term guys on the powerplay. As soon as Provorov signed his deal he replaced Ghost. If a player in Philly has to sign a new deal soon, he does not see PP time.
Other teams have done that as well.... PP points can inflate the players contract value (especially if there not true PP QB's) so teams limit their PP time to reduce their negotiating power. I'm sure they would only do that if they believed it wasn't impacting the teams success. Leafs did that with Reilly years ago before his first RFA contract was expiring.

I don't think Travis, York or Provorov are the issue for the PP. I think all three are suitable and could be on most teams 1st or 2nd PP unit but there not true PP QB type dmen (maybe York because his puck movement/decision making is slightly quicker but he needs to prove he has a shot teams have to respect). Ghost was a great PP dman and even he struggled here at times (shows you its a coaching issue) + he had G who was a true PP QB and we still had a mediocre PP.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yandle went straight on the PP on a one year deal. That's not long term.

In Konecny's last contract season of 18-19 he got 132:46 of PP time.

York and Brink have gone straight on to the PP as rookies despite not having long term contracts.

Your argument doesn't withstand even the most basic scrutiny.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yandle was a long-term PP QB who had a lot of success in that role.
Even this season, his worst in 6 years, he has a xGF/60 of 7.00, xGA/60: 0.96.

For comparison, Ghost the last three seasons, xGF/60: 6.28, 7.24, 6.24, xGF/60: 1.06, 0.62, 1.39
His first four seasons Ghost was an elite PP QB before he started to fade (and the talent around him deteriorated).

I don't think Sanheim has the skill package for PP1 QB, of all our D-men, only York seems to have that feel. Ellis would be a good pairing for Sanheim at PP2, he's not a great driver of play on the PP, but has a very low xGA/60 over his career, suggesting he's a careful QB who knows how to CYA for a partner. Sanheim just doesn't look comfortable near the blue line, in a "stationary" role, he's at his best flying up the ice, pressuring the defense.

Attard has a better shot and is a RHD, so I'd have him on the PP as a partner to a LHD before Provorov.

Why they have TK in the net front position is beyond me, though Allison might replace him next year until he goes on IR.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Sanhero is playing PP1 now.

He’s led the Flyers’ D in PP time each of the last 3 games.

Hell, Saturday he played over 4 minutes on the PP.

He’s looked exactly the same as he has in his other PP stints — uncomfortable. Small area play just isn’t his thing. And that’s ok.

He’s had a very good 2nd half of the season regardless, &, if one of Provorov/Sanheim is traded, I’d wager a substantial amount that it’s Provorov.

I do not think they are trading Sanheim.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
On air, Steve Coates said he was voting Justin Braun for the Ashbee award, but changed to Sanheim about a week or 2 before the trade deadline.
Yet another example of why those awards are 100% worthless.

Also, as a quick reminder from last year... this is the kind of dipshit who votes. :laugh:

They're all delusional and horrifyingly ignorant about the sport they're paid to cover.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
So what kind of extension is Travis looking at? 6 x 6? I imagine his agent will point to Risto and laugh.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
With JVR off the books after next season, raises to Couts and Farabee already factored in, paying Sanheim an extra two million isn't a big deal - he's already got a $4.75M cap hit, so a raise into the $6-7M area is doable.

Sanheim is the only major UFA, 2023-24. Nobody in 2024-25.
So they can easily carry four D-men salaries for a few years (Ellis, Provorov, Sanheim, Risto).
Same at forward with Couts, Hayes, Farabee, TK and Atkinson.

Some RFA contracts the next few years, but they'll probably do two year bridges before negotiating long-term deals.

They could trade Sanheim or Provorov, but it won't be about money, it'll be about the opportunity to obtain a good young 2C and open up a slot at LHD for Zamula next year and Andrae in 2-3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad