Confirmed with Link: Aube-Kubel signs (1 yr./$700K, two-way)

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Raffl doesn't really have much of a shot. I feel like he gets more goals off deflections or power moves to the net.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Spot on.

Hey, I love the way NAK is playing. He’s been great in his role since his callup. Earned his regular role. Light years above the other AHL callups.

I don’t know what made the light switch go on — he wasn’t very good in the AHL at first this season after getting outplayed in camp/preseason, but I’m glad it did.

For every NAK that steps up, there are multiple Vorobyevs who don’t.

Mmmmmkaaaay

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Or to bring prospects up when the season is lost to give them sufficient time and role to properly get evaluated at the NHL level*.

*28 year old Phil Varone is no longer a prospect Chuck.

I've been pounding this drum so hard for years.

It kills me that they haven't got Friedman into more games this year.

But TBF Fletcher last year was still better then Hextall ever was at it haha.

Reactions: Rebels57 and pit

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Raffl doesn't really have much of a shot. I feel like he gets more goals off deflections or power moves to the net.

I wouldn't say his shot is bad, its pretty average in my mind but we dont see if much because Raffl is so rarely in a position to take longer shots. He is always driving the net with the puck, always in the corners, always in the blue paint, always cutting to the net and for backdoor plays.

It's part of what I love about him as a 4th liner. Gets the puck to the net and crashes in. Creates chaos for the other teams goalie. Crash the boards hard and has enough skill to keep the cycle game going.

If the Flyers had Patrick and Frost on the roster right now. And a 4th line of Raffl-Laughton-Pitlick they would be creating match up nightmares for teams with 3rd pairs that struggle to move the puck.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Haha fair enough. You always seem to be able to come up with fairly long lists of people's bad takes :laugh:

It's really not hard if you can remember the names and certain specific words. Try googling:

Boxscore Couturier hfboards wayne

And of course there are famous threads like the two Gudas trade ones that can be mined indefinitely.

Reactions: Tripod and Rebels57

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'll trade laughton before Raffl. Raffl is one of those guys who can legitimately play between 3 and 4 line capabilities. He performs everywhere and is so terribly underrated it's insane.

Also, why is raffl being brought up in a Aube kubel thread?

Reactions: Asnito

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Raffl plays off of his linemates better. He's not quite what he used to be and his scoring touch comes and goes, but I have more confidence in him contributing to overall team play than Laughton.

Reactions: Asnito

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Raffl is better defensively and more physical than Laughton.
Neither is a good center, but I'll give Laughton the edge there.
Laughton is clearly a much better offensive player than Raffl.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So I wonder...what does NAK's next contract look like?

G Couts Jake
Farabee Hayes TK
JVR Frost XXXX

We don't have lots of top 9 spots available going forward with a few options of guys with top 6 upside. So that likely leaves NAK and all our tier 2 prospects fighting for 4th line duties. It's why you don't have to pay Pitlick over 1 million next year because with NAK, Raffl, Laughton and Bunny still here....we don't need to re-sign Pitlick even though he has been good.

I could see a 3 year deal but the tradeoff is that we will walk him to UFA, but his cap is going to be dirt cheap. We can afford to squeeze guys honestly with so many guys fighting for so few spots. Actually, they could sign him for 2 years and then trade him as a RFA, replacing him with a cheaper prospect.

Start setting up a pipeline of guys to trade off for cheaper depth once they have earned bigger deals. That way we don't pay 2.3 million on a Laughton type in the future. We keep them for their sub 1 million years and then move on. Obviously that changes if someone really breaks out and shows top 6 upside. But mostly those spots will be going to top prospects and 1st/2nd rd draft picks that show that higher upside.

So maybe 2 years at $850,000 per?

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, I think Pitlick's play this year will price him out of the Flyer's budget, especially if they sign Allison/Laczynski and with Brink only a year or two away. Someone will offer Pitlick 2-3 years at $1.5+M.
Sushko is in the wings to replace Raffl after the ED.
Frost should be the 3C next season, pushing Laughton to 4C, 4LW or the trade block.
Rubtsov, Kase, Twarynski, Laberge are all bottom six candidates the next two years.
Ratcliffe could be top 6 or bottom 6, depending on his development.
JOB might be a center or RW candidate in two years if he has a big college season.

They'll probably go two years with NAK, see how much he improves and if other prospects step up, before considering a longer term deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad