Post-Game Talk: atlantis

1 star who was our best

• Artemi Panarin

• Adam Fox

• Igor Shesterkin

Results are only viewable after voting.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Larkin’s a bit of a try hard, eh? Kinda weird to say in a day where we’ve been complaining no one cares, but it looks weird when he seems to be working a lot harder than everyone else. Maybe he really needs a Honda.

Reactions: AlaBlueShirt

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Larkin’s a bit of a try hard, eh? Kinda weird to say in a day where we’ve been complaining no one cares, but it looks weird when he seems to be working a lot harder than everyone else. Maybe he really needs a Honda.

Larkin is a UFA in a few months, he's trying to juice his value.

Reactions: LokiDog

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Have been watching the skills competition and the game with my wife, who is still learning hockey and has made a decidedly sincere effort this year to start learning more about the ins and outs of the game and how it's played rather than just being a fan and just generally following the play, but actually understanding what's going on strategically and behind the scenes.

So we've been watching the current stuff, then the 1997 events. Which is kind of surreal for her since she gets to see Messier and Chelios as older analysts, but then also see them towards the tail end of their primes moments later.

Needless to say she preferred the 1997 skills competition by a longshot. The new one is "too overproduced, too much showmanship...they really dragged it out" etc. We'll be watching the 1997 ASG sometime this weekend too, curious to see what she'll think of that.

I clearly prefer the 1990s format...I can't stand the way 3 on 3 is played generally nowadays and prefer the fun of teams trading rushes vs. the slow pace cycle, clear your own offensive zone to regroup, half the time a player receives a pass they're skating towars their own net style.

Just interesting to see her takes on what has better entertainment value since she's still learning the game.

This is not a criticism of the players obviously as the skill level in the league is as high as it's been probably since the 1990's, but just the curious format. And can someone PLEASE tell ESPN/ABC to stop with the awful aerial cameras and video game graphics during the game...it's so bad it makes me want to bring the FoxTrax puck back just for those views since you literally can't follow it. There's a reason the center ice camera has been a staple of the game watching experiece for decades, and it's because it actually works and allows you to follow the entire play.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
@Machinehead Did you edit the thread title, spent the last few mins looking for this thread, thought it disappeared. Lol. Only asking because the title has your name written all over it. :sarcasm:

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I'm sure this had been said before somewhere, everywhere, but GAWD those jerseys were awful. I couldn't tell the teams apart. It's no wonder players were passing to the wrong skaters.

I think one of the things I miss the most about the old school 5v5 east vs west all star game was seeing all those PC hockey what-ifs. In the all-star game, you should be able to see the "what if Gretzky played on a line with Selanne and Kariya?" (not the best example) those pairings that work and fuel trade speculation come TDL.

Another thing I miss is watching all-star caliber power plays. Their aren't many penalties in all-star games but when there are, it's like artistry in motion that most teams rarely ever get a glimpse of. "Oh that's how our player looks when someone can actually hit them with a pass" or "nice to see someone finish on one of those dishes!"

Also the goalies get to shine. 3v3, the goalies feel like sacrificial lambs. That might has well have EBUGs suiting up for the all-star game.

This is probably my last all-star game unless they go back to 5v5

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad