Speculation: Atlantic Division playoff race

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Stamkos injured for Lightning... and they have been outplayed in all three games.

If someone is gonna fall... they just don't have the depth anymore and no Vasi carrying the bad nights.

It's a carbon copy of a former successful team.
A) Lost depth for salary raises
B) Has to overload their star players, with current roster
C) Star players are a bit older, and after overloading, will start getting injured.

That's a death spiral.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1698825957656.png

5th in Conference.

3rd at Division.

And think Montreal never will stay as a playoff team.

Also interesting that we have played against the current Conference Top7 already 4 games.

East vs. West comparison:
East has 11 teams at .556 or better (5 struggling/poor teams)
West has 7 teams at .556 or better (9 struggling/poor teams)

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
At Eastern conference.
7th in points.
8th in pts%

4th in Atlantic.

1699529890168.png

Imo, these are very good results, versus the tough opponents. We just had 5 contenders-in-a-row -schedule. Won 2 of them.

Not much easier Western Conference yet.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Through 13 games:

vs. teams who didn't make playoffs last season:
4-0-0
21GF, 7GA

vs. teams who made playoffs last season:
3-5-1
27GF, 35GA

vs. teams currently outside playoffs:
5-0-1
29GF, 15GA

Pretty brutal schedule so far.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
At Eastern conference.
7th in points.
8th in pts%

4th in Atlantic.

View attachment 765403

Imo, these are very good results, versus the tough opponents. We just had 5 contenders-in-a-row -schedule. Won 2 of them.

Not much easier Western Conference yet.
Through 13 games:

4-0-0
21GF, 7GA

3-5-1
27GF, 35GA

5-0-1
29GF, 15GA

which is great because it is better to get the real tests early in the year to see where you really stand and later in the year you can see how much you improved. Or lack there of I guess.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
which is great because it is better to get the real tests early in the year to see where you really stand and later in the year you can see how much you improved. Or lack there of I guess.
It will also be interesting to see if this team can grow and get better throughout the top season vs. those top teams. What I like to see is that they are at least beating the teams they should and then its a bit of a toss up vs true playoff teams. They still really need to work on their starts and consistency, but this is about where I thought they would be this year. Hanging in those wild card/ bubble area.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Through 13 games:

4-0-0
21GF, 7GA

3-5-1
27GF, 35GA

5-0-1
29GF, 15GA

The strength of schedule this year has not been kind to Detroit to start, but all things considered Detroit has been mostly good and give me hope for this team this year. 3rd to 5th in the division this year is a possibility if Detroit can iron out the consistency issues.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
The strength of schedule this year has not been kind to Detroit to start, but all things considered Detroit has been mostly good and give me hope for this team this year. 3rd to 5th in the division this year is a possibility if Detroit can iron out the consistency issues.
True, thinking about it though, I think the SOS of any team in the atlantic is going to be tough for almost all year. Boston is the only team (i think..going off of memory) that had a much easier start than anyone else in the division. At least, that's what I am hoping for and they somehow fall off a bit in the next two months lmao.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
True, thinking about it though, I think the SOS of any team in the atlantic is going to be tough for almost all year. Boston is the only team (i think..going off of memory) that had a much easier start than anyone else in the division. At least, that's what I am hoping for and they somehow fall off a bit in the next two months lmao.

According to this, the Wings have the easiest remaining schedule in he conference, and then Boston is next.

So that's great for the Wings but don't expect Boston to falter.

Note: I have no idea how they calculated SOS, though it appears to be based on this year's standings because the Oilers are listed an an easy team.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
According to this, the Wings have the easiest remaining schedule in he conference, and then Boston is next.

So that's great for the Wings but don't expect Boston to falter.

Note: I have no idea how they calculated SOS, though it appears to be based on this year's standings because the Oilers are listed an an easy team.
Yeah, they go off of current record vs the league and rank each team.

That is nuts that we have last in division but also 20th hardest in the league. That should definitely change when buffalo, ottawa (hopefully not lol), toronto, and other teams that are actually supposed to be good start playing better. Thanks for the website, didn't realize tankathon had that stuff too.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
We keep playing like the past 5 games and we will easily cruise to bottom 10 by seasons end.
we could be bottom 10 sooner than that lol. The lack of intensity to start games on times is more than worrisome at this point. If you start the game flat for 1 or 2 in a row, fine, whatever, but if you're flat for 7 games in a row, I think it straight up means that the team is still trash.

Losing on home ice to Montreal when we "think we have a shot at the playoffs" is inexcusable. Every year in the middle of November it seems like it's time to start studying the top 10 in the draft, because that's exactly where this ship is heading.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
we could be bottom 10 sooner than that lol. The lack of intensity to start games on times is more than worrisome at this point. If you start the game flat for 1 or 2 in a row, fine, whatever, but if you're flat for 7 games in a row, I think it straight up means that the team is still trash.

Losing on home ice to Montreal when we "think we have a shot at the playoffs" is inexcusable. Every year in the middle of November it seems like it's time to start studying the top 10 in the draft, because that's exactly where this ship is heading.

last year still frustrates me so much, there was a 1st overall level guy sitting right there at 7 with no lottery or anything required but the Wings did just enough the prior offseason to put him out of reach

it's a bizarre mirror of 2015 in a way, the two best drafts in the cap era and the Wings miss out on the ridiculous depth of the first one because they were still busy pretending they didn't need to rebuild and then miss out on getting a top end guy in the second one because now they're sick of rebuilding and want to pretend they don't need him

it would be hilarious if it weren't so incredibly depressing

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
last year still frustrates me so much, there was a 1st overall level guy sitting right there at 7 with no lottery or anything required but the Wings did just enough the prior offseason to put him out of reach

it's a bizarre mirror of 2015 in a way, the two best drafts in the cap era and the Wings miss out on the ridiculous depth of the first one because they were still busy pretending they didn't need to rebuild and then miss out on getting a top end guy in the second one because now they're sick of rebuilding and want to pretend they don't need him

it would be hilarious if it weren't so incredibly depressing
Yeah...

I'm trying to remain patient and hopeful with the rebuild, but it's tough when it's the same garbage every year. We come out flying, and all have hope that the team is trending in the right direction, then November hits and nothing seems to go right. I'd love to be optimistic right now, but it's just so damn deflating when the team plays like trash in the first period every game. The unfortunate reality is that the team is still not even close to being good enough.

I'm ready to bring up some youth. I'd rather lose with kids, than lose with Jeff Petry and other plugs that have no future with the team.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Yeah...

I'm trying to remain patient and hopeful with the rebuild, but it's tough when it's the same garbage every year. We come out flying, and all have hope that the team is trending in the right direction, then November hits and nothing seems to go right. I'd love to be optimistic right now, but it's just so damn deflating when the team plays like trash in the first period every game. The unfortunate reality is that the team is still not even close to being good enough.

I'm ready to bring up some youth. I'd rather lose with kids, than lose with Jeff Petry and other plugs that have no future with the team.
That should have been apparent to everyone. They have one scoring line, one legit top pair defenseman, and that's it. The rest of the players are complementary and interchangeable parts. No solid goaltending either.

They had a hot start because of the powerplay. They weren't doing anything special 5 on 5. If the powerplay is scoring at 40% efficiency, that will make any team look good. But that cannot last.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
That should have been apparent to everyone. They have one scoring line, one legit top pair defenseman, and that's it. The rest of the players are complementary and interchangeable parts. No solid goaltending either.

They had a hot start because of the powerplay. They weren't doing anything special 5 on 5. If the powerplay is scoring at 40% efficiency, that will make any team look good. But that cannot last.
We have a scoring line? What line would that be?

Last 7 games
DeBrincat 7 0 1 1
Larkin 7 1 1 2
Raymond 7 3 2 5 (actually somewhat decent)

Last edited:

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think it's pretty obvious that we need to go out and get hanifin at this point if that rumor is anywhere near true that the Petes guy said.

Buyout Petry
Trade a package of Maatta+ for hanifin
Sign Kane if he has 75% of his 21-22 season mobility
LTIR Fabbri
Move up Ed

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We have a scoring line? What line would that be?

Last 6 games
DeBrincat 6 0 1 1
Larkin 6 1 1 2
Raymond 6 2 2 4 (actually somewhat decent)
Based on the last 2 games?
Kostin/Raz/Fischer

They have 5 pts, lol. Quite frankly, even Copp has done more than the first line. That explains why the team is losing.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I think it's pretty obvious that we need to go out and get hanifin at this point if that rumor is anywhere near true that the Petes guy said.

Buyout Petry
Trade a package of Maatta+ for hanifin
Sign Kane if he has 75% of his 21-22 season mobility
LTIR Fabbri
Move up Ed
I'm fine letting him play every 5-7 games to give one of our many bottom pairing defensemen a recharge. He's a veteran that should hopefully help in the locker-room.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm fine letting him play every 5-7 games to give one of our many bottom pairing defensemen a recharge. He's a veteran that should hopefully help in the locker-room.
Can't buy out a player midseason anyways.

Whether or not he gets bought out over the summer will depend on if Ghost re-signs. Then Matta becomes 7D if Ed makes it one the roster.

I think it's too early in the season to speculate which way all of that goes. In any case, he's with the team until summer.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Can't buy out a player midseason anyways.

Whether or not he gets bought out over the summer will depend on if Ghost re-signs. Then Matta becomes 7D if Ed makes it one the roster.

I think it's too early in the season to speculate which way all of that goes. In any case, he's with the team until summer.
He has one season left after this on at about 2 mil cap. Not worth buying him out.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
buy him out and have him as an advisor for the money he is being paid with on the buyout in the locker room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad