ATLANTA: Thrashing about for answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Everything is negotiable. That's why so many teams are still waiting for closure on the ownership front. I may want to sell my house for its peak 2005 value, but it's 2011 and well, the market just ain't the same. ;)

I agree that everything is negotiable. Using your house analogy, being underwater on the mortgage while at the same time upkeep on the house is dragging you even further down tends to make one a motivated seller.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
What would happen in this situation?

Hypothetically, TNSE and ASG come to an agreed price of let's say 80 million. A local owner would've payed that but wasn't able to get ASG to come down to that number from $110 million, for whatever reason.

Would the local owner get a chance to match it before a deal was finalized?

It would be up to the League. If ASG & TNSE come to an agreement, it would be up to the NHL to approve the relocation or not.

There are no hard and fast rules under By-Law 36 (ie no requirement that a team MUST sell to a local owner) - just a list of 24 considerations that teams are supposed to consider when voting to approve a relocation, with no requirements how those considerations are weighted.

Two of those considerations are:

"(d) Whether the present owner of the Club has made a good faith effort to find prospective purchasers who are prepared to continue operating the Club in its present location and/or has engaged in good faith negotiations with such prospective purchasers.

(e) Whether there is any prospective purchaser of the Club and franchise who is prepared to continue operating the Club in its present location and, if so, whether any such prospecteive purchaser is willing and able, if necessary, to sustain losses during at least the initial years of its operations there."

If there exists a credible local offer, but ASG is demanding a higher price than a relocation offer, the League/Teams would have grounds to reject the transfer on violating the "engaged in good faith negotiations" consideration - but it/they would not be required to do so.

In that case, if the League wanted the team to stay, they could reject the relocation offer and make ASG negotiate with the local group, or if the League wanted them to move (or just didn't care, or just wanted this new soap opera to end), they would approve the relocation bid and they would.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
In my experience, whenever there are rumors about a dispute in the price so far down the line, it's usually only a dispute over a small amount compared to the overall price (in this case, I'd say 10 million or less) and it's usually followed by a compromise being reached and the deal being completed.

Fugu

MOD: Also, please do not link well known figures as having a position in newly formed companies until it can be verified.

Edit: I removed all that crap about some vague guy and some newly formed company.

Once a mainstream media reports that he's in the running, we can allow it.

TealTownLeaf

Jul 9, 2007
And then there was One.

Atlanta Thrashers Down to one group currently negotiating to keep Thrashers in Atlanta

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrash...atlanta/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_thrashers_blog

Does this put some fire under True North's butt to get this deal done? It seems to me from reading all the posts regarding this situation that Atlanta Spirit will pretty much sign the paper work of the first group to say "we'll take em". With a new potential buyer, Atlanta Spirit has a little more leeway to tell True North "take em at or close to our asking price or leave em".

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Does this put some fire under True North's butt to get this deal done? It seems to me from reading all the posts regarding this situation that Atlanta Spirit will pretty much sign the paper work of the first group to say "we'll take em". With a new potential buyer, Atlanta Spirit has a little more leeway to tell True North "take em at or close to our asking price or leave em".

like them or not, both sides are seasoned deal makers and are attempting to leverage each other for the best price. this will go down to the 11th hour.

Fleuryoutside29

Nov 3, 2009

So does this mean they are talking to a buyer within the US that wants to move them, because in the article it says "The group, not from Atlanta" and then goes on to mention true north as a separate entity?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RT @darenmillard: An agreement to sell the Nhl's Thrashers to a Winnipeg group which plans to relocate the franchise to Manitoba is done. Brunt g&b broke it

RT @darenmillard: Official announcement on tuesday!

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
The news crashed the site.

SORRY Thrashers fans! Very very Sorry.

Hopefully Atlanta won't so be long without an NHL team as I think it will.

Cancel that, for now! And hopefully indefinitely!

Last edited:

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
I think someone jumped the gun:

RT @kausatoday: Based on my reporting... no evidence that there is a deal done between Thrashers owners and those wanting to move the team to Winnipeg.
This isn't done yet. Been thru two of these in StL (80's to Saskatoon) and Nashville and will tell you it is bleak but team can still be saved at the BoG level. Nothing is over till we say it is over... Did we say it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
They just said on sportsnet that it's confirmed the Thrashers are moving to Winnipeg. It'll be announced on Tuesday

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
I think someone jumped the gun:

This isn't done yet. Been thru two of these in StL (80's to Saskatoon) and Nashville and will tell you it is bleak but team can still be saved at the BoG level. Nothing is over till we say it is over... Did we say it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

I must have missed that in history class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad