Atlanta moving to the AHL?

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Found it interesting while at a meeting last night that involved a handful of execs from the Atlanta Gladiators (ECHL), that the main topic of conversation was their plan to move up to the AHL, and the fact that this would require a new NHL affilitation as the current one with the Boston Bruins wouldn't work. The only NHL team I heard honestly considered was the NJ Devils.

I don't keep up with the AHL at all, so is this something that is likely to happen? Anyone else hear anything similar?

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Found it interesting while at a meeting last night that involved a handful of execs from the Atlanta Gladiators (ECHL), that the main topic of conversation was their plan to move up to the AHL, and the fact that this would require a new NHL affilitation as the current one with the Boston Bruins wouldn't work. The only NHL team I heard honestly considered was the NJ Devils.

I don't keep up with the AHL at all, so is this something that is likely to happen? Anyone else hear anything similar?

In the case of the Devils it would mean NJ would move the AHL franchise they own from Albany to Atlanta...and I can't think of any reason why they would do that.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
What meeting? Where was this held and what was the purpose of this meeting?

Sorry, work meeting, at lunch, at the Arena Tavern right near the arena.

I saw some guys with Glad polos on, and started talked to them since they were sitting near us anyways, and this is just what I overheard. During the introductions they gave quite lengthy job titles for the team.

I go to Glad games, but not a ton. If they moved up to the AHL, and I moved closer (I live in Kennesaw), then I'd definitely go more often.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Live in Newnan. Haven't made any Gladiators games so far this year, but I always make it to a couple. Would love to see the AHL in Atlanta (or nearby).

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Live in Newnan. Haven't made any Gladiators games so far this year, but I always make it to a couple. Would love to see the AHL in Atlanta (or nearby).

I would as well which is why I was curious if their were rumors of an AHL restructure or something.

Gladiators are currently above 4..5k fans a game, which puts them in the top 10 for the ECHL. A move up would be awesome for everyone involved really.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Isn't attendance not doing so well the last couple of years. The devils would kill hockey in Georgia forever. I say go for it. They aren't really close to any NHL team who needs one unless the Florida teams change their minds.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Said it before, Atlanta in the AHL would be a great thing. Instant rivalry with Charlotte.

Even when the Thrashers were still in existence I thought an Atlanta based AHL team was a good idea.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
What incentive is there for putting an AHL team in Atlanta? Surely it can't be because they've supported pro hockey so well when they've had it.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
What incentive is there for putting an AHL team in Atlanta? Surely it can't be because they've supported pro hockey so well when they've had it.

They supported the Flames just fine, never mind the revisionist history that gets thrown around everywhere. The biggest relocation tragedy that the NHL ever saw. I'm 100% serious.

It was hard for Atlanta to support the Thrashers when their owners where actively sabotaging them.

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA
The IHL Knights drew very well in the 90's. I remember in either 92 or 93, they played a Tuesday afternoon home game vs. Cleveland at the Omni the week between Christmas and New Years and drew more than that evening's NBA Hawks vs. Cavaliers game. I remember the Cavs' beat writers all making a point of this in their columns the next day.

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
They supported the Flames just fine, never mind the revisionist history that gets thrown around everywhere. The biggest relocation tragedy that the NHL ever saw. I'm 100% serious.

It was hard for Atlanta to support the Thrashers when their owners where actively sabotaging them.

72-73: 12,516 (11th of 15*)
73-74: 14,162 (10th of 15*)
74-75: 13,444 (11th of 17*)
75-76: 11,963 (11th of 17*)
76-77: 12,259 (10th of 17*)
77-78: 10,501 (15th of 18)
78-79: 11,441 (10th of 17)
79-80: 10,024 (19th of 21)
(*No listing for Chicago)

Those numbers don't really support your comment of it being "revisionist history".

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

If they were so well supported they'd still be there...and with regards to the Thrashers...their owners weren't actively sabotaging them until the very end. What sabotaged them was a lack of playoff hockey and a 4 game exit in their only appearance.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
72-73: 12,516 (11th of 15*)
73-74: 14,162 (10th of 15*)
74-75: 13,444 (11th of 17*)
75-76: 11,963 (11th of 17*)
76-77: 12,259 (10th of 17*)
77-78: 10,501 (15th of 18)
78-79: 11,441 (10th of 17)
79-80: 10,024 (19th of 21)
(*No listing for Chicago)

Those numbers don't really support your comment of it being "revisionist history".

Look at the teams that were below them. Plenty are still around today. Nothing about their numbers says "unsustainable". Seals/Scouts/Rockies/Barons type numbers raise alarm, not 11k+, at least not in the 70s. By your logic, the Kings, Pens, Caps, North Stars, Bay Area, shouldn't be around anymore. Atlanta was well on its way to becoming a good middle of the pack city like the ones listed, but their owner went broke so hello calgary unfortunately.

If they were so well supported they'd still be there...and with regards to the Thrashers...their owners weren't actively sabotaging them until the very end. What sabotaged them was a lack of playoff hockey and a 4 game exit in their only appearance.

The Flames attendance was just fine. The problem was that their owner's real estate/construction business went belly up and he needed money very quickly. There were groups who wanted to keep the Flames in their rightful home, but the group in Calgary offered him nearly twice what they were. This is where the NHL should have stepped in and put their foot down, but they didn't want the Flames owner blowing the whistle on their stealing out of players' pension funds.

As for the Thrashers, the team didn't compete due to Don Waddell gutting their roster, as he was paid to. ASG never wanted to own a hockey team, plain and simple. Their goal from day one of ownership was to destroy it and only have their precious Hawks, who can't draw flies.

Atlanta fans are the NHL's biggest victims, they got royally screwed twice. Sad thing is very few people will ever acknowledge that, because "hockey doesn't belong in the south."

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Look at the teams that were below them. Plenty are still around today. Nothing about their numbers says "unsustainable". Seals/Scouts/Rockies/Barons type numbers raise alarm, not 11k+, at least not in the 70s. By your logic, the Kings, Pens, Caps, North Stars, Bay Area, shouldn't be around anymore. Atlanta was well on its way to becoming a good middle of the pack city like the ones listed, but their owner went broke so hello calgary unfortunately.

Nice straw man argument. :laugh:

I never said, nor even hinted, that any team shouldn't be around any more. You said "They supported the Flames just fine, never mind the revisionist history that gets thrown around everywhere". The numbers show that is not the case, that "they" didn't support the Flames just fine. And that my friend, is not "revisionist history".

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Nice straw man argument. :laugh:

I never said, nor even hinted, that any team shouldn't be around any more. You said "They supported the Flames just fine, never mind the revisionist history that gets thrown around everywhere". The numbers show that is not the case, that "they" didn't support the Flames just fine. And that my friend, is not "revisionist history".

Nice job not reading my post. Fan support was not a factor in the Flames leaving. Their owner needed to sell his assets to pay off his own debts.

Who draws the line between supporting and not supporting? Averaging capacity crowds wasn't common back then. I point out that plenty of still existing teams/markets were doing around the same or worse at the same time, but their owners stuck it out and it got better. But the Flames were a lost cause. To put it in perspective, over their 8 years the A-Flames averaged only 200 less than the Jets 1.0 did in 17 years. They did way better than Pittsburgh did from 67-drafting Mario and the Kings did from 67-Gretzky. The plug was pulled way too soon and it's a shame.

It's just ironic that the narrative is Atlanta didn't support the Flames, so good riddance, but places like Hartford/Minn North Stars/Jets 1.0, who put up mediocre attendance number themselves, got their teams ripped out of their loving arms.

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Nice job not reading my post. Fan support was not a factor in the Flames leaving. Their owner needed to sell his assets to pay off his own debts.

Who draws the line between supporting and not supporting? Averaging capacity crowds wasn't common back then. I point out that plenty of still existing teams/markets were doing around the same or worse at the same time, but their owners stuck it out and it got better. But the Flames were a lost cause. To put it in perspective, over their 8 years the A-Flames averaged only 200 less than the Jets 1.0 did in 17 years. They did way better than Pittsburgh did from 67-drafting Mario and the Kings did from 67-Gretzky. The plug was pulled way too soon and it's a shame.

It's just ironic that the narrative is Atlanta didn't support the Flames, so good riddance, but places like Hartford/Minn North Stars/Jets 1.0, who put up mediocre attendance number themselves, got their teams ripped out of their loving arms.

Again, I posted no information about anything other than refuting your comments on fan support. The rest is immaterial to my posts.

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
They still have another year on their deal with Milwaukee. The same team that they have been affiliated with since 1998.

Maybe Rockford could move to Atlanta? :naughty:

Why would the Blackhawks move their AHL team from their back yard to Atlanta

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
Nashville, Bolts, or Panthers would make sense. Would make instant rivals with the Checkers.

not sure if Nashville would move out of Milwaukee. Yes its far from Nashville but its pretty close from most of their division rivals wish can be easier to call up players when on the road

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
not sure if Nashville would move out of Milwaukee. Yes its far from Nashville but its pretty close from most of their division rivals wish can be easier to call up players when on the road

Same reason why I don't see Tampa moving out of Syracuse. Easier to get players to Buffalo, Boston, Montreal, and Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad