Atlanta Flames and Colorado Rockies

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Seattle was supposed to get an expansion team with Colorado, roughly at the same time the MLB went to Seattle and Toronto. Curious why that process fell through. I think Cleveland and Kansas City's instability. Pittsburgh's as well, who were also rumoured to Seattle too. It certainly would have made sense, to expand to Seattle, as Winnipeg was against being in the Smythe, but had no choice, as the Westernmost central franchise, though the NHL had no geographical semblance in its divisions until 1981-82. I wonder if geography was the factor in Atlanta moving. Maybe Toronto would have moved into the Adams earlier. Though I am not sure Harold Ballard cared, as long as he had exclusivity in Ontario and on HNIC. Certainly would have changed the map of hockey. May have affected the WHA merger. I didn't know Ottawa had sought a franchise in the 70s, I can't imagine they had the support of either the greedy Ballard and Molson family.

The NHL had plans to expand to two cities throughout the 1970s (1970, 1972, 1974, etc.). Denver and Seattle were officially recognized for the 1976 expansion which is why the divisions at the time had geographical oddities. That alignment occurred with anticipation that Seattle or Denver would draw into the Patrick with PHI, NYI, NYR, ATL (the Flames being remote at the time). The Kings for instance were in a division with Montreal. The expansion team not going to the Patrick would be slotted into the other four-team division [there were two four-team divisions and two five-team divisions]. However, the uncertainty and instability of at least three existing franchises and also the failed financial deadlines of the proposed Seattle owner (Vince Abbey) helped scrap plans.

Last edited:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Maybe Astrom should have made some saves if he didn't want Cherry to bully him.

Maybe Cherry could have been an actual leader and mentor to his team, understanding the nature of a goaltender in a team sport.

But here we are. If "bullying goaltenders" is your most notable coaching device (see: Gilbert, Gilles), then you're not going to have a long shelf life with any one team to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad