Podcast (Audio) ATKM Development Camp Recap w/ Jarett Stoll - AVAILABLE NOW

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
While I can't promise the same kind of candor we got from Mark Yannetti... I'm scheduled to talk to Jarret Stoll in a few days about Development Camp.

Get your questions in here and I'll try and ask as many of them as I have time for and seem relevant.

and of course a reminder... I work for the team I'm not gonna ask any questions that are inappropriate or designed to make anybody sound or look bad

I will however ask him what his favorite dinosaur is

When it's all said and done I'll post it in here

Last edited:

tws38

May 15, 2020
I have a quite a few if I may. I assume that you won't ask all of them if not any but here they are:

Wayne Gretzky may have had the highest hockey IQ of all time but that doesn't necessarily translate into great NHL coaching. What skills/traits/characteristics makes someone suitable to do player development?

What are some of the changes you've seen since developing as an Oilers prospect to becoming an Oilers player to becoming a Kings player and now as a Kings player development staff? Anything that has changed over time and any differences on what is stressed between organizations?

I heard that Brandt Clarke was looking over some Dan Boyle videos with the staff. Can you share which other players you have shown to others as players to potentially emulate? Who do you show to players like Quinton Byfield, Alex Turcotte, Tobias Bjornfot, Jordan Spence, etc.

For someone like Alex Turcotte who is still seemingly dealing with some symptoms, what are things that player development can work on with him in this state? Clearly, he would be developing more if he is playing and getting into the drills but is there anything he can do to keep his development going forward or is it strictly a case where he needs to just get everything to 100% before doing anything?

How much control do you have over a player who goes to play in other leagues other than the AHL? Are there cases in which the Kings would like a player to focus on certain areas of the game but that clashes with the team he plays for?

Can you share some tendencies for player development across leagues? CHL vs. NCAA vs. SHL vs. Liiga vs. KHL/VHL/MHL etc.

I'm sure I have a lot more but I'll stop there.

Thanks!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Turcotte situation is the biggest issue right now. How's his mental state seeing he didn't pass his physical to participate in the camp.
I think Stoll dealt with similar issues early in his career.

Might be a good person to approach on how to handle Turcotte, then again, not sure if he'll even be allowed to comment about the injury status of a prospect.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Do the types of players that the Kings produce reflect the types of players on the development staff? How does the staff focus on developing certain attributes in players without said players losing the attributes that make them unique? Does each player have a specific development plan? How often is this assessed outside with players outside Ontario and LA? Does the development team keep tabs on players in, say, the OHL or Europe throughout the year? Do other teams’ coaches or development programs (in the minor leagues specifically) ever interfere with the goals of the Kings’ development team?

Last edited:
Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Not related to dev camp, but...

In the 2010/11 season, Stoll went 10 for 11 in the shootout. I think that might be one of the greatest shootout streaks/seasons in NHL history.

I don't have a specific question about it. I'd just like to hear him talk about and how he was able to do it. IIRC, he did the same thing on every attempt.

Aside from that I just want to know which young players he thinks are mostly like to breakout in the NHL this season.

Reactions: Schrute farms

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Who drops more F bombs in a conversation, Drew, Quick 7 beers deep, or Yanetti?

Which prospect has the loudest voice in the room.

Does anything about this current group remind you of the cup teams while they were coming together. Elaborate (not his style but try lol)

Do you feel all of the puff pieces the team does to entertain new fans is a distraction from playing hockey?

With MMA fighters power is the last thing to go and speed is the first. What’s the equivalent for an NHL player?

Has Matt Greene scared the kids yet?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Just a suggestion if you and others find it appropriate. Yannetti mentioned how the development staff is consulted on issues and whether or not it can be "fixed".

The question: what are some issues they don't feel they can fix?

A second question: as the players mature, does the development staff ever "change course" based on how a player is progressing? If yes, is this exclusively determined by the dev staff or is it more of a collective decision?

How do you bridge any communication gap with instructions for those uncomfortable with English?

Because the NCAA can't attend rookie camp, is there ever a subconscious urgency to put more focus on those they only see once all year?

How often do they follow up with players throughout the season? Do they watch the players live, or do they read scouting reports internally?

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
How often does the staff do checkpoints on the prospects and evaluate their progress and report out to Blake etc?

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Fun question: Yannetti called Dean Lombardi his favourite dinosaur to work with. Would you see Lombardi as a brontosaurus or a pterodactyl?

Positional question: how long would a prospect take to successfully switch from Center to winger? We tried with Vilardi and Turcotte this year.

Nostalgia question: Any memorable Bob Miller stories for us? Did anyone call Ryan smyth after winning the cup and take some deserved shots?

Does he have insight as to why there are so few new coaches in the NHL? Seems like as soon as you have a couple seasons in the bank, you’ll always have a job.

Thanks Jessie

Nickster

Hockey is coming
Sponsor
Nov 5, 2017
Inland Empire
Kempe on Spitting Chicklets said Kaliyev stopped using his tennis racquet handgrip tape job. Was that because of peer pressure or "development" and did that affect his production this past season? His shooting percentage was a little low.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Why does Matt Greene always look like he’s ready to throw down?

Is there a prospect with a better wrist shot than his?

Which invite impressed the most?

Too short. Not too short. Doesn't matter. Does matter. Would take a long time to adjust to. Wouldn't take any time to adjust to.
Sticks are tricky, even an inch can make a huge difference in my experience.

I know how this sounds even in my own head.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Thanks, Jesse!

So many great questions already posted.

Once the AHL season starts, is the dev staff actively working with the AHL'ers?
Since Craig Johnson has moved on, will you and Donnelly be working with the forwards?
There are so many new forwards coming in: Taylor Ward, Martin Chromiak, Andre Lee and
Samuel Helenius. Does the Dev Staff mainly work with the new players, or work with all of the
team?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The stick length matters for one reason alone, his head won’t be as prone to being hit with a longer stick that will allow him to change his posture when skating

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Just a suggestion if you and others find it appropriate. Yannetti mentioned how the development staff is consulted on issues and whether or not it can be "fixed".

The question: what are some issues they don't feel they can fix?

A second question: as the players mature, does the development staff ever "change course" based on how a player is progressing? If yes, is this exclusively determined by the dev staff or is it more of a collective decision?

How do you bridge any communication gap with instructions for those uncomfortable with English?

Because the NCAA can't attend rookie camp, is there ever a subconscious urgency to put more focus on those they only see once all year?

How often do they follow up with players throughout the season? Do they watch the players live, or do they read scouting reports internally?

I forgot to mention in my reply in the Yannetti thread but I found it interesting how Yannetti kind of replied sarcastically about the development team thinking they can fix skating issues any prospect may have. This was in reply to how well many of this years guys skate.

Yannetti at least to me sounded like he was skeptical that poor skating could be fixed to make a guy an NHL’er. I actually liked the answer because it showed that our director of amateur scouting’s views have progressed significantly in the last few years. Especially as the game has changed. It didn’t sound like a guy who drafted Gabe Vilardi five years ago.

Would be interesting to see how confident the dev team is it’s his ability to improve the skating of 17-18 year olds before they are 21-22.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00