News Article: Athletic "Dysfunction In The Desert" Story

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Glendale just wanted to kick the team out.

Yet they were willing to lock them in for at least 12 more years and the city manager said the late payments weren't a factor. :dunno:

I think you're confusing it with they didn't want that $15 million per year lease. At least Jerry Weiers didn't... and after getting stuck paying $50 million over two years to keep the team year it makes perfect sense from their POV.

Reactions: Summer Rose

HowlofRevel

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I think you're confusing it with they didn't want that $15 million per year lease. At least Jerry Weiers didn't... and after getting stuck paying $50 million over two years to keep the team year it makes perfect sense from their POV.
Especially when IceArizona was doing such a poor job for that $15M annual subsidy posing as a management fee. I don't think I heard that Glendale thought IceArizona was using the arena management fee to pay down their own debt until the ESPN article today, but they definitely were not putting much effort at getting non-hockey events booked.

IceArizona gave Glendale every reason to want out of that lease and never give the Coyotes a sweetheart deal ever again, no matter who owned the team.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Makes me wonder if you know him or something?
I just really really dislike his style and couldn't resist a free parting shot.

Which if true is pretty shitty for a guy the fanbase heaps praise on glowingly to be feeding negative stories to hostile media looking to tear down rather than earnestly raise red flags which he could do himself but chooses not to.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Who is Hulsizer?

The Chicago guy who tried to buy the team but didn't have team-buying money. A total pretender. He hung around GRA a few games wearing a Yotes jersey. Also took a bunch of players to dinner and stuck them with the bill.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Yet they were willing to lock them in for at least 12 more years and the city manager said the late payments weren't a factor. :dunno:

I did not post that, I copied it from an @Nych_PHX post on another thread and the point was I was questioning his logic. I completely agree with your statement above. This is what happens when mods play censors with opposing, non apologetic views.

Last edited:
Reactions: PainForShane

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
A goofy ass past potential owner. We're fortunate to have not had him at the helm.

Literally the only thing Hulsizer ever did was hire some kid to recreate the scene from "Rudy" where Rudy Ruettiger recreated Knute Rockne's motivational speech. In a litany of weird stuff with this franchise, that might have been the weirdest.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Some other names from the memory bank...

Jim Balsillie
Jerry Reinsdorf
Ice Edge 1.0
George Gillett
Matthew Hulsizer
Greg Jamison
Ice Edge 2.0 + George Gosbee
Darin Pastor
Andrew Barroway
Alex Meruelo

I am sure I have forgotten a name or two.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The Chicago guy who tried to buy the team but didn't have team-buying money. A total pretender. He hung around GRA a few games wearing a Yotes jersey. Also took a bunch of players to dinner and stuck them with the bill.
I've posted this in the past..... he sat behind my son and I one game and made (let's just say, less than intelligent sounding noises) every time something even remotely exciting happened on the ice. I just had to turn around to see who this guy was and it turned out to be our potential new owner!

Literally the only thing Hulsizer ever did was hire some kid to recreate the scene from "Rudy" where Rudy Ruettiger recreated Knute Rockne's motivational speech. In a litany of weird stuff with this franchise, that might have been the weirdest.
Oh, but you forget the skaters waving the Yote flag prior to a couple of games...... "A Hulsizer Production"! LOL

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Especially when IceArizona was doing such a poor job for that $15M annual subsidy posing as a management fee. I don't think I heard that Glendale thought IceArizona was using the arena management fee to pay down their own debt until the ESPN article today, but they definitely were not putting much effort at getting non-hockey events booked.

IceArizona gave Glendale every reason to want out of that lease and never give the Coyotes a sweetheart deal ever again, no matter who owned the team.
IceArizona had a separate management company operating the arena for them.

The lease gave IceArizona all the revenue streams coming from all events booked at the arena so it would have been to their benefit to book as many events as possible.

But the lease also had baked in minimums the arena had to charge for events and that was driving a lot of events away. Late 2013 (or 2014), IceArizona went to the city looking to see if they could add a newer tier to charge less for smaller events so that they could fill more dates. The city balked.

This was also about the time Andrew Barroway bought into IA as a cash influx and that’s when the city looked to getting out from paying that additional $9 million per year in the lease.

Reactions: Summer Rose

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Did you see the PHNX podcast where Steve Peters told the story that while they were in Detroit or Chicago, that Hulsizer arranged this team dinner and ran around acting like it was a sure thing he was getting the team?

The way Peters described it.. Everyone had a “Who da fook is this guy??” moment but rolled with it.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Did you see the PHNX podcast where Steve Peters told the story that while they were in Detroit or Chicago, that Hulsizer arranged this team dinner and ran around acting like it was a sure thing he was getting the team?

The way Peters described it.. Everyone had a “Who da fook is this guy??” moment but rolled with it.

I think I've mentioned that I spent a couple of decades in motorsports. Hulsizer reminds me of way too many fly-by-night sponsors and team owners who come in crowing about their money and influence and then end up defaulting on bills, loans, and contracts, and leaving suddenly in the middle of the night.

I remember one team I worked for - they had this guy show up, promise a full-season sponsorship deal, and then vanish, only to resurface later trying to sue us for breach of contract (he dropped it when he belatedly realized we hadn't signed anything or even entered into a verbal agreement).

Grifters, man... you run into enough of them and you learn to despise the whole category of human.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I think I've mentioned that I spent a couple of decades in motorsports. Hulsizer reminds me of way too many fly-by-night sponsors and team owners who come in crowing about their money and influence and then end up defaulting on bills, loans, and contracts, and leaving suddenly in the middle of the night.

I remember one team I worked for - they had this guy show up, promise a full-season sponsorship deal, and then vanish, only to resurface later trying to sue us for breach of contract (he dropped it when he belatedly realized we hadn't signed anything or even entered into a verbal agreement).

Grifters, man... you run into enough of them and you learn to despise the whole category of human.
I got to see a race from the ISC suite at PIR once through my buddy who was a VP of Marketing for them...did a little schmusing but mostly I and this other ISC guy watched the race (there was a phone in the suite, rumored to be - perhaps facetiously - for Mike Helton to phone in a yellow if he felt the race needed one, but he never showed up)...at the end my buddy asked who all I met, and I mentioned one guy who started chatting me up about his pop-up ad software, and my friend goes "oh man, i'm so sorry. I *told* those idiots they're not supposed to be selling during the race!" (joke was on them, of course, i was just some guy at a race, not a 'decision maker' of any sort)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I got to see a race from the ISC suite at PIR once through my buddy who was a VP of Marketing for them...did a little schmusing but mostly I and this other ISC guy watched the race (there was a phone in the suite, rumored to be - perhaps facetiously - for Mike Helton to phone in a yellow if he felt the race needed one, but he never showed up)...at the end my buddy asked who all I met, and I mentioned one guy who started chatting me up about his pop-up ad software, and my friend goes "oh man, i'm so sorry. I *told* those idiots they're not supposed to be selling during the race!" (joke was on them, of course, i was just some guy at a race, not a 'decision maker' of any sort)

Yeah, that's pretty common. I fortunately only had to do the "suite dance" a few times in my racing career but unless you're a person who's like a reject from Glengarry Glen Ross you don't really enjoy it in there.

Two of my dear friends from the media center buffet line wrote a book about this that I highly recommend you read if you're into this topic...

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
A goofy ass past potential owner. We're fortunate to have not had him at the helm.
I didn't recognize the name. That's how long it's been. I have a pic of him somewhere buried in old photos at the game. He was in the section right next to where my seats were talking to people and shaking hands. I remember thinking damn, this guy must really be serious. Another let down in a long line of nothing but let downs.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Some other names from the memory bank...

Jim Balsillie
Jerry Reinsdorf
Ice Edge 1.0
George Gillett
Matthew Hulsizer
Greg Jamison
Ice Edge 2.0 + George Gosbee
Darin Pastor
Andrew Barroway
Alex Meruelo

I am sure I have forgotten a name or two.

Reactions: Mosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad