Athletic’s Corey Pronman ranks his top U-23 players

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Corey Pronman of the Athletic ranks his top U-23 players.

This is a projection on who he believes will have the best careers. It’s actually 155 players in total, but I’ll just post the top-25 here to discuss.
  1. Auston Matthews
  2. Rasmus Dahlin
  3. Elias Pettersson
  4. Alexis Lafreniere
  5. Matthew Tkachuk
  6. Andrei Svechnikov
  7. Patrick Laine
  8. Jack Hughes
  9. Kaapo Kakko
  10. Quinton Byfield
  11. Quinn Hughes
  12. Brady Tkachuk
  13. Cale Makar
  14. Miro Heiskanen
  15. Tim Stutzle
  16. Kirby Dach
  17. Lucas Raymond
  18. Pierre Luc-Dubois
  19. Cole Perfetti
  20. Robert Thomas
  21. Nico Hischier
  22. Milhail Sergachev
  23. Trevor Zegras
  24. Charlie McAvoy
  25. Barrett Hayton

Better list than I expected but Charlie at 24 is a maybe with injury concerns I guess but he is a stud.

Also Laine at #7 is dubious even with his early goal scoring exploits.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He seems pretty low on defencemen. I figured that Makar and Quinn Hughes would be higher than several of the forwards listed above them.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I didn't think the list made alot of sense. I get it's looking long term but there were so many instances of established young NHL players being jumped.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
This is a projection on who he believes will have the best careers.

People are getting very upset about career projections. Don't get so caught in the moment for a career projection. For all anyone knows, Heiskanen will never again play as well as he did in the playoffs. He's still in the elite part of the list. What's the difference between 14 and 10? Who knows.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
It's just my opinion. Pettersson and Heiskanen stand in a tier ahead of Matthews for me.

Matthews goalscoring is so groundbreaking, that he is a lock for top 5 though.
If EP stands a tier higher than Matthews than why has Matthews owned him at every comparative level? Settle down with the Swedish bias.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Corey Pronman of the Athletic ranks his top U-23 players.

This is a projection on who he believes will have the best careers. It’s actually 155 players in total, but I’ll just post the top-25 here to discuss.

1. Auston Matthews
  2. Rasmus Dahlin
  3. Elias Pettersson
  4. Alexis Lafreniere
  5. Matthew Tkachuk
  6. Andrei Svechnikov
  7. Patrick Laine
  8. Jack Hughes
  9. Kaapo Kakko
  10. Quinton Byfield
  11. Quinn Hughes
  12. Brady Tkachuk
  13. Cale Makar
  14. Miro Heiskanen
  15. Tim Stutzle
  16. Kirby Dach
  17. Lucas Raymond
  18. Pierre Luc-Dubois
  19. Cole Perfetti
  20. Robert Thomas
  21. Nico Hischier
  22. Milhail Sergachev
  23. Trevor Zegras
  24. Charlie McAvoy
  25. Barrett Hayton

Mat Barzal ?
Stupid list

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Good point.

Why is matthews (23 y.o.) on this list but not other players the same age?

it was clearly explained.

It’s a 2016 and under draft eligible list. ranks the best players from the last 5 draft classes.

Matthews was a late birthday. Like players like Tavares/eichel/Mario.

Heck 5 years from now laf will be on the 23 and under list at 23

Reactions: Garthinater

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Actually no he doesn't. He states his tier as "Generational/Special Player bubble". So, somewhere below full generational, but sets himself apart from the next tier. Okay, that's not a bad description. He's a solid 2 way player, could end up as the best goal scorer of his next generation, and can playmake at an elite level too. But nobody is confusing him with McDavid. So, that all sounds okay to me.

Well, as shown, put him on a line with a solid goal scorer, and he'd be close to a 40 to 50 assist guy, based on TOI with Nylander. I don't care if you don't think that's a great playmaker, or however you want to rank that, it certainly isn't a weakness, that much is clear.

As far as driving goals, he does though. the Leafs scored goals at the fastest rate with him on the ice. He was clearly driving more goals than anybody else on the team. Interestingly enough, goals for skyrocket with him on the ice, but goals against also dropped like a brick. You can't even say that about guys like McDavid, who goals for skyrocket for the oilers when he is on the ice (moreso than even Matthews), but so does goals against. the Oilers score in droves with him on the ice, but they also bleed goals in droves. Intersting, don't you think?

This is Matthews best argument towards being “Generational”

I don’t think he is quite there, but definitely think he can be this generations Ovi or Malkin as a clear #2 by the time their careers are over.

In addition to his versatile offense, his two-way play and possession are well above other top offensive players. The only other guy of this generation nipping at his heels as one of the best offensive and defensive threats in the league would be EP.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Does he explain his methodology? Looking at this list it seems all over the place. It seems to favor offensive production/potential but there are some outliers. The one ranking that really stands out in a bad way is McAvoy. He should be much higher on the list even if he's been banged up a bit. I mean, how on earth is he behind a guy like Sergachev? McAvoy is a much better defenseman who puts up comparable numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad