Value of: Athanasiou to COL

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
So what would it realistically take?

I am not in love with the idea of the Avs trading for one of the higher end rentals (Hall, Kreider, etc). at all given the cost and especially their next contracts so I have looked around a bit who else could be available.

Sakic is rumored to want to do something according to Friedman and AA is one of the few options that could make some sense. I know the Wings and Avs are not the most likely trade partners given our rivalry but I feel that enough time has passed since these teams have gone up against each other that something could happen between them. I also think Yzerman and Sakic are friendly enough to get something to work.

Avs have no 2nd round pick and are not trading Byram.
I would also prefer to hang on to Newhook and given that you just drafted Seider, Timmins is probably valued higher by Colorado than he would by the Wings.

AA had a somewhat rough start to the season and IIRC there were some problems the last time around during contract negotiations so I could see him being available. He also could probably be signed to a decent 4-5 year deal which fits perfectly for the Avs age and capwise. I also think his style of play might fit well on the Avs. Him on the ice together with Mac and Makar could be fun. Speed for days.

Available (non-roster) assets:
Kaut (Zadina connection could kick in here)
Bowers
Zhuraylov
1st 2020
Morrison
Helleson

Potentially available roster players:
Zadorov
Kamenev

I think it is very tough to properly gauge AAs value right now and honestly I have no idea what a fair return would be but I wonder if there is a workable trade to be made using assets listed above and what exactly it would take to get this done.

Reactions: Danvalanche

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think something around Kaut+ would make sense. But I also think it makes as much sense for Detroit to hang on to AA, if they can eventually roll him out as a 3C it could create some real mismatches

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Detroit is struggling on D right now, I would have to think that Zadorov would be one of the pieces coming back.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I think something around Kaut+ would make sense. But I also think it makes as much sense for Detroit to hang on to AA, if they can eventually roll him out as a 3C it could create some real mismatches

Yeah I definitely could see something around Kaut+. He hasn't had a great start to the season on our godawful AHL team and has been surpassed by Newhook on our depth chart.

Kaut + COL 1st 2020 for AA + DET 2nd 2020?

Does that make sense? Not enough?

Detroit is struggling on D right now, I would have to think that Zadorov would be one of the pieces coming back.

I love Zads but I think he will be the odd man out in the expansion draft so I would be open to trading him. But I am not sure I would add all that much to him for AA.

Would you do a straight up swap?

Danvalanche

Feb 13, 2019
I don’t feel like the Avs will make a trade unless. 1. More injuries happen or 2. They start slipping in the standings. I mean if they do pull a trade off that would be sweet. But I think it would be a prospect like Kaut + a 3rd or something along those lines. That’s of course If he signs 3-4 year deal.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
We would probably want the equivalent of a 10 overall-15th overall value. Ideally a prospect with 2c projection

Reactions: ThankGord

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
AA's value is pretty low right now, Don't see Yzerman moving him just yet. He's still on pace for his 2nd best year currently at a 40 point pace 13 goals 27 assists something like that. Depending on what Darren Ferris is seeking for AA's next contract will pretty much determine if Yzerman moves him or not.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yeah I definitely could see something around Kaut+. He hasn't had a great start to the season on our godawful AHL team and has been surpassed by Newhook on our depth chart.

Kaut + COL 1st 2020 for AA + DET 2nd 2020?

Does that make sense? Not enough?

I love Zads but I think he will be the odd man out in the expansion draft so I would be open to trading him. But I am not sure I would add all that much to him for AA.

Honestly it’s probably too much. I’d be happy with Kaut or your 2020 1st alone really.

Im also not a big AA fan

Reactions: Darkseider

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Wings are more than fine with keeping one of the most dangerous quick strike players in the league.

Also one of the worst defensively and inconsistent as well. He could go on a playoff run and score PPG or not get a single point. Neither would surprise me much.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

I would, but then again I might be overvaluing Zadorov. Has there been any rumours on what kind of a contract he's seeking?

Adding Zadorov to a budding D in Detroit would be amazing.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I would, but then again I might be overvaluing Zadorov. Has there been any rumours on what kind of a contract he's seeking?

Adding Zadorov to a budding D in Detroit would be amazing.

Zads wants a bigger contract but he isn't completely unreasonable about it given his last one got done very quick and he knows that his numbers aren't great I guess. I guess 4-4.5M on a mid-longterm deal should easily get it done. Maybe even less although I think he wants a raise from the 3.2M he is currently earning.

I love Zads. He has his downsides. His penalties are sometimes rather of the dumb variety and he gets a ton on reputation alone and he can be inconsistent but if he is on, look out. He also has quite a bit more skill than one would assume but it has never translated into much numberswise.
And of course he is a complete game changer with his physicality. Players don't usually skate into our zone with their head down when he is on the ice. Thats also why I am not sure that he is available for trade now anyways. Could see Sakic keeping him for a playoff run to give us the much needed physical element he brings and then trade him in the summer.Which I would be fine with given that I love the dude. The only real reason why he is available IMO is that Byram and Girard should lock down our left side for the next decade hopefully and that we won't be able to protect him in the expansion draft.

@Voodoo Glow Skulls:

I personally have no interest in trading Newhook at this point. His cheap ELC will be a godsent 2 years down the road (I want him to stay in college for atleast another year after this one) when we have to pay our guys. He is also the only one that has the potential to replace Kadri in 3 years when his contract is up. He is not Byram level unavailable but to me not that far off from it. Would have to be blown away to include him and AA doesn't do that.

Last edited:

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Also one of the worst defensively and inconsistent as well. He could go on a playoff run and score PPG or not get a single point. Neither would surprise me much.

Inconsistent? Not sure what you mean, he consistently gets chances every night playing with mostly trash around him. He was a little slow coming back from injury tho if that's what you're referring to....and yes his defense isn't great, just like a large portion of other skilled NHL forwards

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
As a Red Wings Fan. Let me tell you my take on AA.

Some of our fans want to trade him and get some value for him
Some of our other fans love this guy.

Here is my best non-biased take on AA.

He is insanely fast. You likely will have seen a lot of his break away goals. He can do this regardless of line mates. He creates his own offence. Overall his skillset includes Insane Speed, Good hands, decent shot, deke moves.

His negatives include an inconsistent effort on defence. I think he gets more of a hit here, because everyone knows how fast he is, and he doesn't seem to back check with the same speed he attacks with. He also had issues negotiating a contract (2 contracts ago) and word through the grapevine is that he is hard to coach (he must be cheating offensively).

Last year he was starting to put these negative comments to rest, by trying harder and performing better, and being benched less. This year his production has been low, but our whole team's production is low. So its really hard to read into our point totals.

And in conclusion, AA is a great player, or ok player depending on your perspective. I have no idea what he is worth. Detroit needs Young players 24 or less, I honestly do not think we are strong enough anywhere to say we couldn't use a strong prospect at any position.

Reactions: JoemAvs

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
AA has been a guy I thought would fit into Colorado's style for a while now. Really hard to judge his value though. Kaut + 3rd?

Not enough, I understand people's apprehension to paying a high price if they're just looking at stats, but if you actually watch him it's so easy to see the skating is among the best in the league, the offensive skill is high end. On a good team/line where he has other high end talent around him and isn't the sole focus of a defense when he's on the ice, he's a consistent 60-70+ pt player.

Reactions: winger7020

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You're not comfortable giving up the assets it would take to get Hall but are comfortable paying a near identical price for Athanasiou.

Hall is a rental and I don't really want him on my team for 6+ years x 10M+ anyways. AA on the other hand could be a decent fit on a cheaper 4 year deal.

That said. Hall is getting more than that as a rental.
The Avs 1st rounder in 2020 and the Detroit 2020 2nd rounder are probably 10-15 spots apart. Avs should pick in the early-mid 20s and the Wings pick should be in the 32-40 range.
Highly doubt that the Avs could get Hall for Kaut and moving down 10-15 spots....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad