Speculation: Athanasiou Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't blame Holland for not outbidding the KHL

I DO blame Holland for not arriving at a fair offer until freaking September and inadvertently creating this situation

there's no reason it should have ever gotten to this point to begin with
It's a long time since Khan speculated a 1.9*2 offer had been made.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
It's a long time since Khan speculated a 1.9*2 offer had been made.

it was already the end of August when we were talking about his speculation of a 1.5 offer around here

that's pretty damn late in the offseason

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
it was already the end of August when we were talking about his speculation of a 1.5 offer around here

that's pretty damn late in the offseason

It was August 14th when the last 1000-post topic was started and on the first posts there was that "offer was made some days ago". Pretty much the press (where we do base our speculation) doesn't have any clue of the real day when any offers have been made.

Some news for us all:

RFA signing timetable is pretty wide.

Signings from this YEAR of 2017 at Athanasiou age range:

1. June 28th, Sven Andrighetto, COL, 1.400M
2. July 6th, Brett Ritchie, DAL, 1.750M
3. July 8th, Johan Larsson, BUF, 1.475M
4. July 10th, Radek Faksa, DAL, 2.200M
5. July 22nd, Jordan Martinook, ARI, 1.800M
6. August 17th, Zemgus Girgensons, BUF, 1.600M
7. August 26th, Connor Brown, TOR, 2.100M

RFA guys still unsigned at Athanasiou age range
Andreas Athanasiou, DET
Nikita Zadorov, COL
Josh Anderson, CBJ
David Pastrnak, BOS

Last year Tobias Rieder was the latest RFA to sign, on October 3rd.

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't blame Holland for not outbidding the KHL

I DO blame Holland for not arriving at a fair offer until freaking September and inadvertently creating this situation

there's no reason it should have ever gotten to this point to begin with

The first offer was low, but it wasn't unfair. 1.25m but getting to arbitration rights in a season is a trade off. Holland doesn't get to hold off a less advantageous contract negotiation for another year, and AA doesn't get as much pay as he would if he gave up more years of arbitration eligible play. Simple.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

The very same Tobias Rieder who shares AAs agent and was also threatening to go to the KHL before accepting an offer .5M less than demanded?

chris05

May 23, 2013
Hard to compare players when everybody knows AA does more with less opportunity than the rest. Tobias is another example of a bad comparison. When you level the playing field AA will come out way ahead....its just the way it is....

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I was watching his goals from last season, I didn't realize it until now but vanek set up like half of his goals

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It was August 14th when the last 1000-post topic was started and on the first posts there was that "offer was made some days ago". Pretty much the press (where we do base our speculation) doesn't have any clue of the real day when any offers have been made.

Some news for us all:

RFA signing timetable is pretty wide.

Signings from this YEAR of 2017 at Athanasiou age range:

1. June 28th, Sven Andrighetto, COL, 1.400M
2. July 6th, Brett Ritchie, DAL, 1.750M
3. July 8th, Johan Larsson, BUF, 1.475M
4. July 10th, Radek Faksa, DAL, 2.200M
5. July 22nd, Jordan Martinook, ARI, 1.800M
6. August 17th, Zemgus Girgensons, BUF, 1.600M
7. August 26th, Connor Brown, TOR, 2.100M

RFA guys still unsigned at Athanasiou age range
Andreas Athanasiou, DET
Nikita Zadorov, COL
Josh Anderson, CBJ
David Pastrnak, BOS

cool. Thanks for putting together that research. I don't follow RFA signings that closely so it's interesting to see.

Darren Dreger saying that Holland and AA's agent still discussing a 2 year deal, But can't rule out a 1 year deal as well.

It wouldn't surprised me if his agent is looking for some face-saving deal that's a tiny bit above Holland's last offer. It's just hard for me to believe AA really wants to play in the KHL.

Was AA injured or in the doghouse at the end of last season?

His icetime in the three games in March was way down, even for him. I have to wonder if that's in part to prevent him from padding his totals in meaningless games as they head into negotiations.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
cool. Thanks for putting together that research. I don't follow RFA signings that closely so it's interesting to see.

It wouldn't surprised me if his agent is looking for some face-saving deal that's a tiny bit above Holland's last offer. It's just hard for me to believe AA really wants to play in the KHL.

Was AA injured or in the doghouse at the end of last season?

His icetime in the three games in March was way down, even for him. I have to wonder if that's in part to prevent him from padding his totals in meaningless games as they head into negotiations.

I remember that AA was getting benched quite a few times in the 3rd period, As Blashill was riding his veterans quite a bit that's probably why his ice time was trending down there in March.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Top reason I don't think he wants to play in Detroit.

It is certainly a part of it, but not a very good reason to hold out. Blash won't be in Detroit much longer (I expect that he will be gone after this season). If AA really wants to stay in Detroit (through restricted free agency at least) he should know that Blash won't be an issue or obstacle much longer.

People are making a mistake in presuming that other coaches are just going to hand AA massive chunks of ice time and all of the first unit PP time he can handle. His ice time will increase if he isn't traded, but it won't be as dramatic as people are hoping. If he is going to play a ton more, he needs to be responsible enough (read committed to systems play) to be matched against top six talent from the other side without doing more harm than good. While I would try him on the PP, I am certainly skeptical of him adding a whole lot to it apart from zone entries (which are obviously very important). The shorter the rink gets the worse he looks and he does not exactly excel at 2 on 1 hockey. I would love, however, to see him develop into a PK work horse for us.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Hard to score on passes from Steve Ott.

Yea stupid Steve Ott.

No_Steve_Ott.png

50% of his play time was with Vanek.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That 3.8M for 2 years (1.9M caphit) is an interesting number, because there's no easy cap solutions after that.

Holland must have some trade on the table to hunt that kind of number. Or he signs Parenteau and waves Witkowski to match the full LTIR usage.

Will be interesting.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That 3.8M for 2 years (1.9M caphit) is an interesting number, because there's no easy cap solutions after that.

Holland must have some trade on the table to hunt that kind of number. Or he signs Parenteau and waves Witkowski to match the full LTIR usage.

Will be interesting.

Wonder if they're waiting until the season begins when there might be some more injuries and easier to make LTIR work in our favor. Sign Athanasiou then, send him to GR for conditioning, put whoever is dinged up on LTIR, and soldier on.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
It is certainly a part of it, but not a very good reason to hold out. Blash won't be in Detroit much longer (I expect that he will be gone after this season). If AA really wants to stay in Detroit (through restricted free agency at least) he should know that Blash won't be an issue or obstacle much longer.

People are making a mistake in presuming that other coaches are just going to hand AA massive chunks of ice time and all of the first unit PP time he can handle. His ice time will increase if he isn't traded, but it won't be as dramatic as people are hoping. If he is going to play a ton more, he needs to be responsible enough (read committed to systems play) to be matched against top six talent from the other side without doing more harm than good. While I would try him on the PP, I am certainly skeptical of him adding a whole lot to it apart from zone entries (which are obviously very important). The shorter the rink gets the worse he looks and he does not exactly excel at 2 on 1 hockey. I would love, however, to see him develop into a PK work horse for us.

That's one of the problems for AA. If a coach isn't going to harness him, and harm his future earnings because of ice time, then I don't know why he would stay.

Blashill will be gone when Holland is. If AA looks at the situation like the rest of us do, then why stay? He's going to get peigion-holed by the coach, rather than the coach developing him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wonder if they're waiting until the season begins when there might be some more injuries and easier to make LTIR work in our favor. Sign Athanasiou then, send him to GR for conditioning, put whoever is dinged up on LTIR, and soldier on.

Yeah, that's something we can't predict. So far everybody except Sproul (failed medical test) is told to be healthy. And putting Sproul on LTIR won't fix those cap things, it's just too small caphit to open any extra space for a bigger contract. It just opens a space for another small contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce