ATD2019 Sign-up Thread

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I'd go with A but whatever happens I'd be fine with.

I’ll give a vote for A but I’m fine with whichever is chosen.
Agreed. I'm just glad to be with a functional (excluding me ;) ) group of people. In the last 12 hours I had a 54 year old man tell me he won't play in my Baseball ATD next year, because I didn't want to play in his Gretzky-present Hockey ATD. :rolleyes: Then I tried to expedite the voting due to an impatient GM, my 7th seed was going down anyways to a 2 seed, so I offered to forfeit so I could accept and post the votes quicker than the vote counter who is at work. The impatient GM thought I was feeling sorry for myself, so he quit, and all this is during the first round! I just wanna have fun (like Cyndi Lauper ;) ), try to build a a hockey team with a little chemistry that's a little bit better than my last one, learn a little bit more about hockey history, and if I lose in the first round, cool, no worries.

Reactions: Habsfan18

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Agreed Wrigley. In participating in my first ATD last year, I had some of, if the THE, most fun I’ve ever had in my 16 years on HF Boards. That should be the goal.

While it’s perfectly fine to have competitive spirit and to aim to win, the main goal of the ATD should be for fans and students of hockey’s wonderful history to come together and have FUN while continuing to learn more about that history. We’re all pasionate fans and this should be a completely positive experience from beginning to end.

My aim for this year is to continue having fun, learn even more about the game and its historical players, and to hope that the bickering, unnecessary personal attacks and confrontations that would sometimes rear its ugly head last year are gone for good.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
83691896-A26C-4A3C-9FD0-C56E9658A6DD.jpeg 91277C0E-0FAB-464D-BACD-E4174DBCF843.jpeg 9FDD1D20-59A3-4AE9-8C8F-F93633E8AEFE.jpeg 3CD7C410-2409-423A-A5A1-D8A143560E10.jpeg 303CCA1F-80DB-44C2-819E-0A3FB4F32D5A.jpeg 80C9E400-C6D5-4E9E-A5A1-9FC8BDD77231.jpeg 145E1DC3-4BD7-437B-B820-8DA38EA4C435.jpeg 594DE6BC-C94F-409F-A4AF-2D3135591AED.jpeg 03ECC504-CC5A-409E-B70D-6D5B145F8016.jpeg DEF1CC49-7D5B-4C46-9CBC-CF5F7CCE7700.jpeg

On an another note, we’re busy with our 7 week old but my collection continues to grow. Better start my research again. ;)

Reactions: Namba 17

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Is it looking like we’re going with 19 teams? Or are we hoping for a nice even number of 20?

Any word from jarek? Sprague? Overpass? Rmartin?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Solid looking collection, I don't have a bunch of pictures but I'm hovering around ~300 books hoping to go 23/23 on bios this year. Just means I can't draft Taylor for the threepeat :sarcasm:

Is it looking like we’re going with 19 teams? Or are we hoping for a nice even number of 20?

Any word from jarek? Sprague? Overpass? Rmartin?

19-20 doesn't matter, deadline is tomorrow since we need to get this show on the road

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I wish I had time to do some bios because I definitely have the resources but with our son and work I just don’t have the time. Plus, seventies and a few others have already done such awesome work.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Agreed Wrigley. In participating in my first ATD last year, I had some of, if the THE, most fun I’ve ever had in my 16 years on HF Boards. That should be the goal. While it’s perfectly fine to have competitive spirit and to aim to win, the main goal of the ATD should be for fans and students of hockey’s wonderful history to come together and have FUN while continuing to learn more about that history. We’re all passionate fans and this should be a completely positive experience from beginning to end. My aim for this year is to continue having fun, learn even more about the game and its historical players, ...
Agreed. I had health problems that affected my enjoyment in the past, I accept responsibility for it, I have no ill will towards anyone, and I am really looking forward to this. I just want to improve my team building/chemistry a little bit. Anyone can list pick, but this is an art. (I don't look at hitting or pitching stats when I pick baseball, because I want to see whole player stats that include fielding.) I'm not planning on looking at the top projects lists on the HoH board, because I want players that fit together, not the next best ranked player.

Although it may not have been a good tool for this, I use to love the old school feel and pictures of Greatest Hockey Legends.com for fun browsing. It may just be me, but I find the software so awkward now it's unusable.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I wish I had time to do some bios because I definitely have the resources but with our son and work I just don’t have the time. Plus, seventies and a few others have already done such awesome work.
I don't know if he still is, but 70s used to sell hockey books.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I don't know if he still is, but 70s used to sell hockey books.

I really should stop buying. My collecting has become somewhat of an obsession. Over 700 books, every issue of The Hockey News (1947-present day), and a bunch of magazines equals up to over 3,500 items. The wife and I will need to buy a bigger house soon. :laugh:

Reactions: Namba 17

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I have a grand total of 6-7 hockey books :laugh:.And I didn't even read them all.

I might have more coming from my childhood, in french, at the bottom of a box left untouched for 20 years.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
We moved 2 years ago and I had to get rid of all my books, except for 100 hardcovers. The only hobby I spend money on is buying books on Amazon. BB, I know you're a player of hockey. I think BB will get that reference.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Although it may not have been a good tool for this, I use to love the old school feel and pictures of Greatest Hockey Legends.com for fun browsing. It may just be me, but I find the software so awkward now it's unusable.
What in the world?
It's not just you, this is an exceptionally user-unfriendly Blogger theme. I could see it being appropriate for a different type of site, but not this one. There are hundreds, possibly thousands of entries on the site that were previously meticulously catalogued, and now the only way to sort through them is with the labels feature - and since every article is labelled with it's own title, there are thousands of options in that menu, sorted alphabetically instead of by frequency - finding a player that starts with the letter T, for example, requires endless scrolling. To make matters worse, the Blogger theme used treats the secondary nav pages (like "T") for example, so now they're just lists of players that were formerly linked there.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
What on earth did Joe Pelletier do to his site? :eek:

Apparently modernized it.

I hate modern webdesign with a passion.Actually, I hate the modern internet with its invasive interconnectivity and even the google search engine sucks today compared to the 2000s.

blog.uk.mail dailymail uk co sjjdkhfkidjdkhjd, there's few combination of english words that won't yield these uninteresting and irrelevant british newspapers articles in the first two pages of the google search.

I'm looking for the nerds, for the real knowledge or in-depth topics, all I get is what they feed to the masses.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Apparently modernized it.
No, broke it.
Joe had a lot of secondary navigation built into his site, and none of it works on desktop. On a phone, there's no primary navigation at all. The site doesn't work on any platform at all...mobile...desktop...olde timey telegraph...

I hate modern webdesign with a passion.Actually, I hate the modern internet with its invasive interconnectivity and even the google search engine sucks today compared to the 2000s.

blog.uk.mail dailymail uk co sjjdkhfkidjdkhjd, there's few combination of english words that won't yield these uninteresting and irrelevant british newspapers articles in the first two pages of the google search.

I'm looking for the nerds, for the real knowledge or in-depth topics, all I get is what they feed to the masses.
This is definitely a fair complaint, though I think it's more of a market issue than a widespread design issue. "For the masses" sites like the Daily Mail (barf barf barf barf I hate that site so much) weren't prominent at one point in time because the masses weren't using the internet. Sort of like, if some neighbours you didn't like moved in, would that be a problem with the street itself?

Modernity used to imply progress.
This, however, is a load of crap. Humans in their infinite wisdom have been making mistakes with hubris and shiny new toys ever since we figured out how to light a bpiece of wood on fire.

Nowadays: Shorter, less information, no photo.

For most of this decade I've been complaining about the dumbing down of websites (for smartphones).
The main thing that changes when you design a website for smartphones is making the columns re-flow correctly, so you don't have to scan around in every direction like you're trying to read a map through a toilet paper roll. Any move to "dumb down" a website is the result of market forces - for the masses first. In-depth, long form writing works fine on a phone, if you can get it published.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I still haven't found what I'm looking for ... a Co-GM.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
No, broke it.
Joe had a lot of secondary navigation built into his site, and none of it works on desktop. On a phone, there's no primary navigation at all. The site doesn't work on any platform at all...mobile...desktop...olde timey telegraph...

This is definitely a fair complaint, though I think it's more of a market issue than a widespread design issue. "For the masses" sites like the Daily Mail (barf barf barf barf I hate that site so much) weren't prominent at one point in time because the masses weren't using the internet. Sort of like, if some neighbours you didn't like moved in, would that be a problem with the street itself?

This, however, is a load of crap. Humans in their infinite wisdom have been making mistakes with hubris and shiny new toys ever since we figured out how to light a bpiece of wood on fire.

The main thing that changes when you design a website for smartphones is making the columns re-flow correctly, so you don't have to scan around in every direction like you're trying to read a map through a toilet paper roll. Any move to "dumb down" a website is the result of market forces - for the masses first. In-depth, long form writing works fine on a phone, if you can get it published.

I'm not that knowledgable about technology and the web, so when I said "I hate modern webdesign", I was referring to the overall "online experience".It's not just webdesign, but webdesign too.About 15 years ago, websites had a home page with a clear list of subsections.Now it's all over the place with dumb generic pictures, with the organization of subsections being unclear.I understand I'm an old man yelling at clouds.

Last edited:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I'm not that knowledgable about technology and the web, so when I said "I hate modern webdesign", I was referring to the overall "online experience".It's not just webdesign, but webdesign too.About 15 years ago, websites had a home page with a clear list of subsections.Now it's all over the place with dumb generic pictures, with the organization of subsections being unclear.I understand I'm an old man yelling at clouds.
That's totally understandable, and you're not wrong for hating it. I think though, that there's a distinction between designing for modern needs (phones, SEO, etc) and just doing a bad job organizing the information, which unfortunately is endemic on a lot of sites. In my opinion, if you've built a site that works reasonably well on a phone but is difficult to navigate on a desktop, you've done half your job at best.
In the case of greatest hockey legends, that's a mind-meltingly bad design that cannot be used by anybody at all. It's really unfortunate, however that happened.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad