ATD2011 Thomas D. Green Final: (2) Guelph Platers vs. (5) Cincinnati Fireworks

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The thing is, I wouldn't think Roberts would be a useless pick in, say, 5 years, once he had established a good track record of post-playing career success at what he's doing. I'm sure he is doing a great job. It's not that having a fitness and conditioning coach is bad, it's just that I'm not a fan of getting a scorer, checker, defenseman, goalie, coach, assistant coach, or fitness coach with two years of experience.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
The thing is, I wouldn't think Roberts would be a useless pick in, say, 5 years, once he had established a good track record of post-playing career success at what he's doing. I'm sure he is doing a great job. It's not that having a fitness and conditioning coach is bad, it's just that I'm not a fan of getting a scorer, checker, defenseman, goalie, coach, assistant coach, or fitness coach with two years of experience.

For sure it will have more value in 5 years if he keeps up his impressive track record so far.. that only stands to reason.

It was an in-fun pick for me, but it wasn't like picking an arena like mark is implying (grasping at straws as he puts it).. and honestly, I don't see any series coming down to the last spare to decide anyways.

I've got two forwards who can play any position and a good steady defenseman as spares for injury and that should be completely fine.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
The Cincinnati Fireworks have barreled their way through two upset matchups, including the Thomas Green Division winner Toronto St. Pats. Could they take down the next opponent in the Guelph Platers?

Game 1:
Geoffrion remembers it's the post season, he bangs home two first period goals. Larry Robinson adds a second period goal and plays unreal defense. Bryan Trottier scores a goal, and assists on Clark Gillies one-timer. But Parent would silence the Platers in the third. 3-2 Fireworks. 1-0 CIN

Game 2:
Cincy continues it's dominance, Eddie Litzenberger scores a big goal in the second. But Rick MacLeish ties the game with a gritty effort goal. Larry Robinson scores on the power play and Geoffrion adds a late power play marker. 3-1 for the road team. 2-0 CIN

Game 3:
Guelph doesn't do much right in the first, a costly turnover by Reijo Ruotsalainen fuels a Bert Olmstead goal. Trottier ties the game at one. But it's Boom Boom Geoffrion who puts the Fireworks ahead. Parent is unstoppable and the Platers go down in the series with a 2-1 loss. 3-0 CIN

Game 4:
Al Arbour tells his players that this could be the last game of the season, the Platers first line comes out flying and explodes for three first period goals. Two by Gillies, on by Trottier. Trottier plays phenomenal and scores again in the second. Darryl Sittler scores for the Fireworks. But Dave Poulin and Guy Lapointe add third period goals and a huge Platers win saves them from elimination. 3-1 CIN

Game 5:
The Platers continue the comfort in a different arena. And Trottier is again controlling the ice. He scores an early goal. Broda plays strong, Eric Desjardins adds a second period goal, and the Fireworks are still shaken up from a blowout loss in Game 4. Demers tells his players to regroup and all that comes out is a late goal from Larry Robinson. Rene Robert adds an empty netter. 3-1 win for the Platers. 3-2 CIN

Game 6:
Back to Guelph and the first line plays like it's 1984. Trottier sets up Middleton for a first period goal and they make sure the opposition won't get many chances. Reijo Ruotsalainen makes up for a Game 3 splash with a huge power play goal in the third. Broda continues to be lights out, Geoffrion scores in the third, but it's not enough. Has this ever happened in ATD history? We'll see if the Platers can pull off the comeback from a 3-0 deficit. 3-1 Platers. Series TIED 3-3

Game 7:
There's a weird feeling in the air in Cincinnati, fans are nervous, but excited. An early goal by Larry Robinson has the crowd going. But Bryan Trottier strikes again with a power play goal in the second. Goaltending is fantastic, both sides stop every puck shot. The Platers get a boost with a third period power play, and it's Clark Gillies, getting the pass from Trottier. The Fireworks, frustrated and terrified play a very strong game with five minutes to go. Lapointe and Ramsay are too much, and Broda gets in the way of every save. The Platers pull off the comeback, thanks to a man named Bryan Trottier. Guelph wins the game 2-1 and the series GUE 4-3.

(NOTE: All the votes I received initially were all Cincy, the last 9 voters voted for Guelph, that's why the series turned out like this :laugh:)

Guelph Platers defeat Cincinnati Fireworks in 7 games

3 STARS:
1. Bryan Trottier, GUE
2. Larry Robinson, CIN
3. Turk Broda, GUE

HM's: Geoffrion, Lapointe, Parent, Gillies

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad