Round 22: Claude Larose, RW
Round 23: Aaron Ward, D
Round 24: Russ Courtnall, C/RW
Round 25: Pete Stemkowski, C

VS.

San Jose Sharks

Managers: Cognition

sanjosesharksinq.jpg

What do the reviewers have to say about the 2011 ATD San Jose Sharks?
"Best [...] of all time" - BiLLY_ShOE1721
"Just a perfect, perfect [...] team" - vancityluongo

Head Coach: John Tortorella
Assistant Coach: Dan Bylsma
Captain: Sid Abel
Assistant Captains: Owen Nolan, Jamie Langenbrunner, Shea Weber

ROSTER
Abel - Petrov - B. Hextall
Mats Naslund - Malkin - Nolan
Andreychuk - Getzlaf - March
Roberts - Peca - Langenbrunner
Spares: Semenko, Kopitar

Baun - Orr
Daneyko - Jovanovski
Suter - Weber
Spares: Green

Durnan
Thomas

PP1:
Andreychuk - Petrov - B. Hextall
Abel - Orr

PP2:
Roberts - Malkin - Nolan
Weber - Jovanovski

PK1:
Peca - Langenbrunner
Baun - Orr

PK2:
Getzlaf - Nolan
Daneyko - Suter

Awards:
To be compiled

Draft Picks:
Round 1: Bobby Orr, D (1st)
Round 2: Sid Abel, C/LW (80th)
Round 3: Bill Durnan, G (81st)
Round 4: Bryan Hextall, RW (160th)
Round 5: Vladimir Petrov, C (202nd)
Round 6: Bobby Baun, D (240th)
Round 7: Gary Roberts, LW (241st)
Round 8: Evgeni Malkin, C (320th)
Round 9: Michael Peca, C (321st), Dave Andreychuk, LW, (359th)
Round 10: Mats Naslund, LW (400th)
Round 11: Owen Nolan, RW (429th)
Round 12: None
Round 13: Ken Daneyko, D (481st)
Round 14: Ryan Getzlaf, C (560th)
Round 15: Ed Jovanovski, D (561st)
Round 16: None
Round 17: Mush March, RW (641st), Shea Weber, D (669th), Jamie Langenbrunner, RW
Round 18: Ryan Suter, D (720th)
Round 19: John Tortorella, Coach (721st)
Round 20: Tim Thomas, G (800th)
Round 21: Dave Semenko, LW (801st)
Round 22: Mike Green, D (880th)
Round 23: None
Round 24: Anze Kopitar, C (960th)
Round 25: Dan Bylsma, Coach (961st)

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Did Scotty Bowman ever coach against Bobby Orr in a playoff series while he was with the Canadiens? It would be interesting to see his game plan against Orr in this matchup.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I think both line-up fit with their coaches style , but both goalies are quite the opposite :laugh:

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Can the Falcons' strong two-way play in the top 9 make up for the lack of offense they provide in comparison to the San Jose top 9, with their all out offense and not too much defense style? Winnipeg has a better defense and better two-way ability in their forward corps, SJ has better scoring from their forwards, and goaltending. Which will win out? That will be the key to this series.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
I'm sorry but I don't understand how anyone could vote against Winnipeg. It's nothing against your team cog, it's just that even with your massive goal advantage, I just think that Winnipeg is that much better, even if you have the guy who can control play best in the ATD.

Derick*

I'm sorry but I don't understand how anyone could vote against Winnipeg. It's nothing against your team cog, it's just that even with your massive goal advantage, I just think that Winnipeg is that much better, even if you have the guy who can control play best in the ATD.

You should substantiate that. You didn't name a single advantage the Firebirds have, just ones the Sharks have that they're better depsite.

Myself, I don't see how anyone could vote for the Firebirds considering how much more offense the Sharks have, how much better the Sharks defenseman will move the puck up, how much better the Sharks powerplay is, and how much better the Sharks goaltending is. A good defensive top nine can't compensate for the fact that the Sharks will completely control the play and dominate the goaltending duel.

Last edited by a moderator:

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
I dont have too much time to argue for my team but a couple of roster changes.

Head Coach: Scotty Bowman
Assistant Coach:
Captain: Yzerman
Assistant Captains: Stevens, Brind'Amour

ROSTER
Brendan Shanahan - Steve Yzerman - Marian Hossa
Brian Bellows - Rod Brind'Amour - Bob Nystrom
P.J. Axelsson - Brent Sutter - Terry O'Reilly
Kirk Maltby - Pete Stemkowski - Johan Franzen
Spares: Bob Probert, Claude Larose, Russ Courtnall

Stevens - Carl Brewer
Anders Eldebrink - Rob Ramage
Calle Johansson - Brad McCrimmon
Spares: Aaron Ward

Mike Vernon
"Pekka" Lindmark

PP1: Shanahan - Yzerman - Nystrom, Hossa - Eldebrink

PP2: Bellows - Brind'Amour - O'Reilly, Brewer - Calle Johansson

PK1: Yzerman - Hossa, Stevens - Brewer

PK2: Sutter - Axelsson, McCrimmon - Ramage

PK3: Brind'Amour - Maltby

Having Eldebrink and Johansson paired with two tough defensive defensemen will be valueable. Eldebrink is also more use full as Hossas passer on the PP unit.

I would also like to point out that Cogs team does include some hot heads specially behind the bench which could cost his team in this one.

I'm quite sure that Bowman can keep a guy like O'reilly fairly disciplined.

I wouldn't underate Axelssons scoring ability either. He was never a top-liner in the NHL and was almost always used as a shutdown player. He has shown internationally that he can and will provide offense if needed.

Last edited:

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
You should substantiate that. You didn't name a single advantage the Firebirds have, just ones the Sharks have that they're better depsite.

Myself, I don't see how anyone could vote for the Firebirds considering how much more offense the Sharks have, how much better the Sharks defenseman will move the puck up, how much better the Sharks powerplay is, and how much better the Sharks goaltending is. A good defensive top nine can't compensate for the fact that the Sharks will completely control the play and dominate the goaltending duel.

Firebirds?

I doubt your team will completely control the play when you don't have Orr on the ice. Your second line line will be checked to oblivion and Nolan will lose his temper again and again. Your third line are not puck controlĺers neither are your fourth.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Vernon may be the worst starter in the ATD. But Bowman is the best coach. Seeing as this one is from my division, I'll be following this very closely.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009

I rather disagree. I think San Jose can at least match the Falcons in terms of skill; their goaltending is a lot better, their top pairing is somewhat better, their top line is pretty comparable, and their fourth line is a lot better too. Winnipeg's 2nd and 3rd might have edges (I'd like to see arguements), but I rather dislike such a severe defensive inclination.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
And to substantiate my drunken statement (that is something I probably shouldn't have said out loud and I'm sorry):

I like jkrx's top line, 2nd line, and 3rd line better. Cog has a massively offensively inclined team that will be able to be shut down by the solid two way play of the top two lines of the Falcons. I think that jkrx's defense is better as a whole. Cog's gonna need Orr to play about 30 mins I think. Even though Winnipeg has in my opinion the second worst goalie in this, his solid defensive unit and great defensive forwards will be able to insulate him at least a little bit. Obviously Cog has the big advantage in goal.

I think that the series isn't nearly as one sided as I initially put it, but I still think jkrx wins. And agian I apologize for my somewhat rude characterization of the series intially.

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I still hate watching that hit on Kariya. Stevens wasn't normally a dirty player, but that hit was extremely late, and he went for Kariya's head knowing that Paul already had a serious concussion in the past. It was more thuggery than skill and I think Stevens should have gotten a rather lengthy suspension for it.

Anyway, as far as the series goes, San Jose's advantage on the first unit powerplay is quite large, and should be acknowledged. Indeed, San Jose may very well have the best first unit powerplay in the draft, which is a substantial advantage against any and all opponents. I'll comment more on the series later.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
I still hate watching that hit on Kariya. Stevens wasn't normally a dirty player, but that hit was extremely late, and he went for Kariya's head knowing that Paul already had a serious concussion in the past. It was more thuggery than skill and I think Stevens should have gotten a rather lengthy suspension for it.

Anyway, as far as the series goes, San Jose's advantage on the first unit powerplay is quite large, and should be acknowledged. Indeed, San Jose may very well have the best first unit powerplay in the draft, which is a substantial advantage against any and all opponents. I'll comment more on the series later.

Agreed on both points. The Kariya hit is the only one I dislike on that top 10, I just remember being so appalled, because I liked both Stevens and Kariya a lot. And to see him hit Kariya like that disgusted me. Pretty happy he fought it off and came back.

I also like San Jose's first unit quite a bit, they are definitely one of the most cohesive power play units in the draft. So much skill.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Ment to say this last night: jkrx, I really wouldn't move your 3rd best D-man, by a healthy margin, (McCrimmon) to your third pairing.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

I'm the Firebirds, he's the Falcons. :teach:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Ment to say this last night: jkrx, I really wouldn't move your 3rd best D-man, by a healthy margin, (McCrimmon) to your third pairing.

Mccrimmon - johansson would become the real 2nd pairing and I'd expect Bowman to play them as such. Was ramage much netter than Calle anyway?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad