ATD #9 René Lecavalier Quarterfinal: #4 Montreal Wanderers vs. #5 Lada Togliatti

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Montreal Wanderers
Coach: Cecil Hart
Captain: Newsy Lalonde
Alternates: Jean Ratelle, Boom Boom Geoffrion, Lester Patrick

''Phantom'' Joe Malone - ''Newsy'' Lalonde (C) - Didier Pitre
Michel Goulet - Jean Ratelle (A) - Boom Boom Geoffrion (A)
Simon Gagne - Vincent Damphousse - Frank Finnigan
Louis Berlinquette - Ken Mosdell - Harry Hyland

Jean-Guy Talbot - Eric Desjardins
Lester Patrick (A) - Ernie ''Moose'' Johnson
Georges Mantha - Albert ''Battleship'' Leduc

Rogatien Vachon
Lorne Chabot

Power play units:
PP1: Joe Malone - Newsy Lalonde (C) - Didier Pitre
Ernie ''Moose'' Johnson - Boom Boom Geoffrion (A)
PP2: Michel Goulet - Jean Ratelle - Harry Hyland
Albert Leduc - Eric Desjardins

Penalty killing units:
PK1: Ken Mosdell - Louis Berlinquette
Jean-Guy Talbot - Eric Desjardins
PK2: Vincent Damphousse - Frank Finnigan
Albert Leduc - Ernie Johnson

Лада Тольятти
Coach: Tommy Ivan
Captain: Bill Cook
Alternate: Wayne Gretzky
Alternate: Sprague Cleghorn

John Tonelli--(A)Wayne Gretzky--(C)Bill Cook
Vsevolod Bobrov--Bernie Federko--Rick Middleton
Don Marcotte--Steve Kasper--Rich Preston
Murray Murdoch--Phil Goyette--Tomas Sandstrom
Mickey Redmond

(A)Sprague Cleghorn--Jim Schoenfeld
Mark Howe--James Patrick
Bill Hajt--Mario Marois
Aleksandr Gusev

Harry Lumley
John Vanbiesbrouck
Miikka Kiprusoff

PP1: Bobrov--Gretzky--Cook
Howe--Middleton

PP2: Tonelli--Federko--Sandstrom
Cleghorn--Patrick

PK1: Marcotte--Goyette
Cleghorn--Schoenfeld

PK2: Tonelli--Middleton
Hajt--Howe

PK3: Kasper--Murdoch
Patrick--Marois[/center]

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Some dazzling offensive skill on display in this series.

My concern (really, my only concern) with Lada so far is team toughness. Not sure if Montreal is the team to take advantage of that, though.

Big question mark right off the bat is how does Montreal stop Gretzky? I think this series comes down to that one question. I like Damphousse. I really like Mosdall. But can they stop Wayne? And can the Damphousse line, and the Mosdall line, stop Gretzky, Cook and whoever nik puts on that wing spot? Pick your poison.

Montreal's best bet is to probably forego any semblance of line match-ups and just try to outgun Lada. That's where home ice comes into play. They can put Lalonde's line out there against Gretzky four out of seven. In Lada, they won't have that opportunity; Lalonde will see a lot of Kasper and Goyette.

Biggest gap in this series is defence. Not just the blue-line. But overall team defence. Lada has the top two defencemen in this series. Cleghorn and Howe. Montreal might have a little more depth, but when Moose Johnson is probably your best defenceman, and you're going up against a defence with Cleghorn and Howe? You're going to be in trouble. And Lada's team defence is better, with those bottom two lines, and guys like Tonelli and Middleton.

Vachon and Lumley are good No. 1s. Both will be in tough in this series. A slight edge to Vachon, but not by much.

Give the edge behind the bench to Lada. A perfect team for Tommy Ivan. But it's not by much, not as much as it should be for a Tommy Ivan-coached team. Cecil Hart is a top 15 coach.

Both overall blue-line ability, and team defence. Both teams can score. Both teams can score a lot. Lada has two potent offensive lines, Montreal can get scoring from anywhere in the line-up. But can Montreal stop Lada?

LapierreSports

Mar 9, 2007
Montreal
Well GBC, we dont have any Bentleys on our team but one way to stop the Great One might be with offense and are flying frenchman squad. If Лада Тольятти wants to go offense vs offense, then bring it on !

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
few changes

ivan
tonelli--99--cook
murdoch--federko--middleton
bobrov--goyette--sandstrom
marcotte--kasper--preston
redmond

howe--cleghorn
schoenfeld--patrick
hajt--marois
gusev

lumley
vanbiesbrouck
kiprusoff

howe and cleghorn together to counteract the speed and offense of montreal's top 2 lines. howe and cleghorn were both fast, strong defensively and great offensively.
i think with howe and cleghorn with the 1st line, they should be able to control the puck most of time, especially against the wanderers' D.

turnovers and breakdowns are always key, so defensive forwards spread out a little. i think as long as we limit turnovers and breakdowns, we should do well.

murdoch onto the 2nd line to give montreal fewer chances on the counterattack. murdoch wasn't a strong offensive player, but he was capable of stepping up when necessary. when the bread line was for whatever reason stifled in the '33 playoffs, the checking line of dillon and murdoch led the team in scoring as NYR won their 2nd cup.

bobrov on the 3rd line, but goyette was a great playmaker as well as defensive forward, and bobrov will still be on the PP. this also gives goyette a bigger role.

i think i should win this series b/c montreal is basically an all offense team, and has very little chance of stopping the greatest offensive player in history with bill cook (12 art rosses between them and 15 total pro scoring titles).
i also think i have one of the best PP's in the draft, which should dominate the wanderers' PK.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
Big question mark right off the bat is how does Montreal stop Gretzky? I think this series comes down to that one question. I like Damphousse. I really like Mosdall. But can they stop Wayne? And can the Damphousse line, and the Mosdall line, stop Gretzky, Cook and whoever nik puts on that wing spot? Pick your poison.

Montreal's best bet is to probably forego any semblance of line match-ups and just try to outgun Lada. That's where home ice comes into play. They can put Lalonde's line out there against Gretzky four out of seven. In Lada, they won't have that opportunity; Lalonde will see a lot of Kasper and Goyette.

i definitely agree with gbc here - the key for montreal winning this series depends on how (or if) they can contain #99. if it comes down to a shootout, i feel as though montreal has the horses to take it.

that said, though you've pointed out mosdell and damphousse, i feel as though there is another player that can play a key role defensively against gretzky - frank finnigan. finnigan was considered one of the best defensive forwards, penalty killers, and shadows during the 20's and 30's. "ultimate hockey" even awarded him four retro-selkes (for what it's worth).

Greatest Hockey Legends said:
...Finnigan, an eight-year veteran who played a reliable two-way game, gave the Leafs a solid second line winger and an expert penalty killer. After playing a key role in the Leafs' 1932 Stanley Cup victory, Frank was returned to Ottawa...In an interview with Brian McFarlane in 1968, King Clancy had this to say about Frank Finnigan: "I'd label him as one of the finest right wingers in hockey. He could dish out the punishment and take it, too, as he flew down his wing. He was another straightaway skater. You could put a string out there and Finnigan would skate right up and down that line"...Although he was small he was nearly impossible to knock off of his feet. He was strong as an ox, having worked as a telephone lineman in Ottawa prior to turning pro with the Sens. Compared by the book Ultimate Hockey to Mike Peca, Finnigan was an extraordinary defensive forward. Hall of Fame player and legendary coach Dick Irvin once commented that if he had a team full of Frank Finnigans, he'd never lose!

so, the question for me remains - can finnigan (and damphousse) effectively shut-down that fantastic lada firstline? if so, montreal could take it. if not, gretzky works his magic.

on a side note: montreal should enlist the services of 99wasnotthebest to provide some insightful arguments to counter wayne gretzky :sarcasm:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
paper, the question I had all last draft was who would stop Gretzky on Nalyd and sturm's team? He torched a couple of teams in a run-and-gun division. It helped that he had Bathgate on his wing, and Clancy feeding him the puck, in ATD 8's trio of terror. It took Nanaimo, with four centres who can effectively play against a top line (Primeau, Nighbor, Weiland and Skov, to finally beat Wayne.

I'm going to ask the same thing again: who can stop Gretzky? And who can do it with Bill Cook on his wing?

Looks like nik is going to roll three scoring lines, to try to counteract Montreal's offence, and to try to capitalize on some of Montreal's defensive deficiences. That's the advantage of versatility. Those who like run-and-gun hockey will enjoy this series. Lots of goals. Lots of frustration for the goalies. This will be the highest scoring series in the first round. The team that scores the most goals wins. In this series, that will definitely be the case.

Incidentally, how many minutes will the Cleghorn-Howe tandem log each night? Over-under is 55.5 minutes per game between the two of them. Gentlemen, your wagers, please. Over or under.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
I just want to say I'd like to watch both of these teams play the game. That's the funnest thing about drafts like this. Both teams look fantastic and very interesting. However, I think Nik's squad is probably better built for the playoffs with more guys who can play a two way game.

I do think Montreal has a little more firepower in the first two lines though, and that would be the strategy to try and win. Outgun. Hope speed and skill and offensive firepower from lines 1-4 can just overwhelm the two-way advantage Lada has.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
This is a tough one for me to evaluate because it seems almost destined to be a wide open, run and gun affair. Can Montreal contain Gretzky - Cook? No, but what on earth are Schoenfeld - Patrick going to do against Goulet - Ratelle - Geoffrion, which is almost certainly the greatest ATD second line since the league expanded beyond ten teams?

I just don't know. Both goalies are going to face a ton of shots; Apple Cheeks and Vachon may end up being the most important players in the series, but I think there is also a strong chance that both get pulled at least once and have to rest for a couple of games because of the workload they'll be facing. The backups then become relevant and I like Lorne Chabot here.

Howe - Cleghorn is a very strong top pairing and against almost any team but Montreal my previous advice to put those two together stands, but the Wanderers' "second line" is just such a fearsome unit that it's pretty much pick your poison trying to defend this team. That said, Talbot-Desjardins are almost certainly toast against the Gretzky line, as well. With this much open ice, 99's presence could well be decisive.

I need to think about this one some more.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
although montreal's weak D will rightly get more attention, montreal is also missing a major piece of an offensive juggernaut: an elite offensive d-man.
the '50s wings had kelly, the '50s habs had harvey, the bruins had orr, the '70s habs had robinson, the NYI had potvin, the oilers had coffey.

offensive teams could succeed without a great offensive d-man in the era of malone--lalonde--pitre, when the forward pass was illegal, but not since then.
modern teams have always needed d-men who can defend, get the puck, move it smartly to the forwards, and run the offense. i think it's even more true in the ATD.

talbot, desjardins, patrick and johnson are good puck-movers, but they are 2nd/3rd pair players.
imo, montreal's attack will suffer b/c of the lack of a great offensive d-man.

This is a tough one for me to evaluate because it seems almost destined to be a wide open, run and gun affair. Can Montreal contain Gretzky - Cook? No, but what on earth are Schoenfeld - Patrick going to do against Goulet - Ratelle - Geoffrion, which is almost certainly the greatest ATD second line since the league expanded beyond ten teams?

I just don't know. Both goalies are going to face a ton of shots; Apple Cheeks and Vachon may end up being the most important players in the series, but I think there is also a strong chance that both get pulled at least once and have to rest for a couple of games because of the workload they'll be facing. The backups then become relevant and I like Lorne Chabot here.

Howe - Cleghorn is a very strong top pairing and against almost any team but Montreal my previous advice to put those two together stands, but the Wanderers' "second line" is just such a fearsome unit that it's pretty much pick your poison trying to defend this team. That said, Talbot-Desjardins are almost certainly toast against the Gretzky line, as well. With this much open ice, 99's presence could well be decisive.

I need to think about this one some more.
since howe and cleghorn will both get 30 mins per game, and since montreal's 1st line will not get 30 mins per game, howe and cleghorn will sometimes face montreal's 2nd line. it won't always be the 2nd or 3rd pair.
i think putting howe and cleghorn together is important here b/c of montreal's speed and firepower. i think their puck control is also very important in limiting montreal's chances.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
nik jr, even since you qualified Bill Quackenbush a small d-men, I have serious reserves on your judgements of other teams players...

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
nik jr, even since you qualified Bill Quackenbush a small d-men, I have serious reserves on your judgements of other teams players...

you corrected me quickly and i immediately accepted the correction.

what do you disagree with?

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York

You know, many GMs have made mistakes on players from time-to-time, especially when evaluating the other team in a playoff matchup. HO made a mistake on Goodfellow in the last draft, and nobody crucified him for it. I underrated Mickey MacKay's scoring ability in ATD#8 and BM corrected me. pit called Mortson slow (though I think he actually knew better) and was corrected by Speaker. It happens.

Diving Pokecheck*

I believe that an interesting thing about this series is how much weight people give to the accomplishments of very early players, such as the Wanderer's first line, Finnigan, Hyland, etc.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
You know, many GMs have made mistakes on players from time-to-time, especially when evaluating the other team in a playoff matchup. HO made a mistake on Goodfellow in the last draft, and nobody crucified him for it. I underrated Mickey MacKay's scoring ability in ATD#8 and BM corrected me. pit called Mortson slow (though I think he actually knew better) and was corrected by Speaker. It happens.

I probably make more mistakes than anyone. I seem put my foot in my mouth in every top-100 voting thread.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I probably make more mistakes than anyone. I seem put my foot in my mouth in every top-100 voting thread.
Bill Cook is an elite winger, and definitely a better player than Bure or Selanne. Not only is he the goal scorer that Gretzky needs, Cook is that tough, physical grinder presence who will compliment Gretzky so well.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Лада Тольятти at 12:33 (PP) - Vsevolod Bobrov from Wayne Gretzky and Mark Howe
Montreal Wanderers at 15:17 (PP) - Bernie Geoffrion from Newsy Lalonde and Joe Malone
Лада Тольятти at 15:42 - Wayne Gretzky from Bill Cook and Sprague Cleghorn
Лада Тольятти at 18:19 - Bill Cook from Wayne Gretzky and John Tonelli

PERIOD 2

Montreal Wanderers at 4:29 - Didier Pitre from Newsy Lalonde and Joe Malone
Montreal Wanderers at 14:26 (SH) - Vincent Damphousse from Frank Finnigan and Ernie Johnson

PERIOD 3

Лада Тольятти at 4:01 (PP) - Tomas Sandstrom from James Patrick and Bernie Federko
Лада Тольятти at 7:41 - Steve Kasper from Marcotte
Montreal Wanderers at 8:23 - Michelle Goulet from Jean Ratelle and Bernie Geoffrion
Montreal Wanderers at 9:41 (PP) - Newsy Lalonde from Ernie Johnson and Joe Didier Pitre

OVERTIME PERIOD 1
Лада Тольятти at 5:13 - Wayne Gretzky from Jim Schoenfeld

PENALTY SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Лада Тольятти at 2:22 - Bill Cook for Cross Checking (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 3:16 - Sprague Cleghorn for Slashing (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 6:48 - Tomas Sandstrom for Boarding (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 11:40 - Jean Ratelle for Delay Of Game (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 12:09 - Lester Patrick for Cross Checking (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 15:10 - Mark Howe for Holding (2 Min.)

PERIOD 2

Montreal Wanderers at 7:42 - Jean Guy-Talbot for Checking From Behind (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 7:42 - Jean Guy-Talbot for Game Misconduct
Лада Тольятти at 11:08 - John Tonelli for Elbowing (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 13:09 - Bernie Geoffrion for Slashing (2 Min.)

PERIOD 3

Лада Тольятти at 0:34 - Jim Schoenfeld for Holding (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 2:09 - Joe Malone for Interference (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 4:23 - Didier Pitre for High Sticking (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 8:52 - Bernie Federko for Holding (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 10:03 - Eric Dejardins for Roughing (2 Min.)

OVERTIME PERIOD 1

Montreal Wanderers at 1:59 - Michel Goulet for Hooking (2 Min.)

GAME STARS

1rst Star: Wayne Gretzky (2g, 2a)
2nd Star: Newsy Lalonde (1g, 2a)
3rd Star: Bill Cook (1g, 1a)

SCORING
Лада Тольятти 3 0 2 1 6
Montreal Wanderers 1 2 2 0 5

SHOTS
Лада Тольятти 10 14 10 4 38
Montreal Wanderers 7 11 9 0 27

POWER PLAYS
Лада Тольятти 2 for 8
Montreal Wanderers 2 for 7

NOTES: A game the goaltenders would like to forget. Wayne Gretzky owned the day as his Lada squad jumped out to an early lead and came out of the roller coaster ride with an overtime victory. The first game is always massive, and Lada got a win on the road here to at least guarantee a split. Gretzky set up two and scored once in the first period, Montreal tied it with a strong second period. Vincent Damphousse's shorthanded goal was a huge lift for the Wanderers heading into the second period break. However, Tomas Sandstrom took advantage of a Malone penalty to give his team an early third period lead with a tip in goal. Lada again went up two goals, and Montreal again stormed back with a tying goal from Lalonde blowing the roof off the place. Gretzky had been silenced since the first, but he took a pass off the boards from Schoenfeld mid-way through the overtime and beat a shell shocked Vachon with a gorgeous slapshot from the top of the left circle. The Great One makes it a great start for Lada in a fantastic display of 80s style hockey.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
GAME 2

SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Montreal Wanderers at 1:57 - Eric Dejardins from Ken Mosdell
Montreal Wanderers at 4:08 (PP) - Bernie Geoffrion from Newsy Lalonde and Joe Malone
Montreal Wanderers at 5:21 (PP) - Bernie Geoffrion from Ernie Johnson and Newsy Lalonde
Montreal Wanderers at 13:21 - Bernie Geoffrion (unassisted)

PERIOD 2

Montreal Wanderers at 0:36 - Michel Goulet from Jean Ratelle and Lester Patrick
Лада Тольятти at 4:12 - Bill Cook from Wayne Gretzky
Лада Тольятти at 13:23 - Mark Howe from James Patrick and Wayne Greztky

PERIOD 3

Montreal Wanderers at 4:06 - Newsy Lalonde from Eric Dejardins and Jean-Guy Talbot
Montreal Wanderers at 18:30 (SH) - Louis Berlinquette (unassisted)

PENALTY SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Лада Тольятти at 2:47 - Team Penalty for Bench Minor (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 5:17 - John Tonelli for Fighting (5 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 5:17 - Ernie Johnson for Fighting (5 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 5:17 - Rick Middleton for Interference (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 11:14 - Eric Dejardins for Interference (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 13:30 - John Tonelli for Goaltender Interference (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 13:30 - Didier Pitre for Interference (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 17:10 - Vincent Damphousse for Unsportsmanlike Conduct (2 Min.)

PERIOD 2

Лада Тольятти at 1:17 - Bill Cook for Interference (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 1:58 - Newsy Lalonde for Hooking (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 7:45 - Simon Gagner for Tripping (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 12:07 - Tomas Sandstrom for Unsportsmanlike Conduct (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 12:07 - Albert Leduc for Cross Checking (2 Min.)

PERIOD 3

Лада Тольятти at 2:02 - Tomas Sandstrom for Slashing (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 2:02 - Tomas Sandstrom for Misconduct
Лада Тольятти at 6:36 - Jim Schoenfeld for Roughing After Whistle (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 6:36 - Ken Mosdell for Roughing After Whistle (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 7:39 - Team Penalty for Too Many Men (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 11:12 - Albert Leduc for Slashing (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 12:54 - John Tonelli for Slashing (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 16:44 - Rich Preston for Roughing After Whistle (2 Min.)

GAME STARS

1rst Star: Boom Boom Geoffrion (3g)
2nd Star: Newsy Lalonde (1g, 2a)
3rd Star: Eric Dejardins (1g, 1a)

SCORING
Лада Тольятти 0 2 0 2
Montreal Wanderers 4 1 2 7

SHOTS
Лада Тольятти 9 5 6 20
Montreal Wanderers 15 13 10 38

POWER PLAYS
Лада Тольятти 0 for 6
Montreal Wanderers 2 for 6

NOTES: John Vanbiesbrouk played the second and third periods for Lada after a horrible first period. Lumley only stopped 11 of 15 shots. Boom Boom Geoffrion scored a natural hat trick. Two of his goals were on the power play from the point, and the third was on a neutral zone turnover and breakaway. Newsy Lalonde had a three point night as well. Wayne Gretzky had a two point effort, but a very quiet one. Lada's spirtis were certainly crushed by their early deficit. Tomas Sandstrom was suspended for game 3 after a vicious slash on Geoffrion. He was challenged by a game Lester Patrick, but refused to fight.
-------------------
GAME 3
GAME 3
GAME 3

SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Лада Тольятти at 12:25 (PP) - Rick Middleton from Wayne Gretzky and Vsevolod Bobrov

PERIOD 2

Montreal Wanderers at 2:21 - Joe Malone from Newsy Lalonde
Лада Тольятти at 4:57 (PP) - Mark Howe from Wayne Gretzky
Лада Тольятти at 10:59 - Wayne Gretzky from Bill Cook and Sprague Cleghorn
Montreal Wanderers at 12:33 - Bernie Geoffrion (unassisted)

PERIOD 3

Лада Тольятти at 1:00 - Mickey Redmond from Phil Goyette
Montreal Wanderers at 16:41 - Didier Pitre from Joe Malone and Jean-Guy Talbot

PENALTY SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Лада Тольятти at 1:13 - John Tonelli for Slashing (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 5:16 - Mark Howe for Slashing (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 6:29 - Ernie Johnson for Roughing After Whistle (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 6:29 - Benie Geoffrion for Charging (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 6:29 - Jim Schoenfeld for Roughing After Whistle (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 7:35 - Joe Malone for Interference (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 11:36 - Michelle Goulet for Goaltender Interference (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 13:10 - Eric Dejardins for Slashing (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 16:41 - Harry Hyland for Unsportsmanlike Conduct (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 16:41 - Mickey Redmond for Unsportsmanlike Conduct (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 19:04 - Didier Pitre for High Sticking (2 Min.)

PERIOD 2

Montreal Wanderers at 3:58 - Jean-Guy Talbot for Cross Checking (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 13:54 - Rick Middleton for Boarding (2 Min.)

PERIOD 3

Лада Тольятти at 7:26 - Bill Hajt for Hooking (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 10:28 - Steve Kasper for Hooking (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 17:59 - James Patrick for Holding (2 Min.)

GAME STARS

1rst Star: Wayne Gretzky (1g, 2a)
2nd Star: Harry Lumley (38 saves on 41 shots)
3rd Star: Joe Malone (1g, 1a)

SCORING
Montreal Wanderers 0 2 1 3
Лада Тольятти 1 2 1 4

SHOTS
Montreal Wanderers 13 10 18 41
Лада Тольятти 10 10 5 25

POWER PLAYS
Montreal Wanderers 0 for 6
Лада Тольятти 2 for 6

NOTES: Harry Lumley wasn't the consensus starter for Lada in game 3. Local media were calling for Vanbiesbrouck or even Kiprusoff to start for Lada after Lumley gave up four first period goals in game 2. Apple Cheeks responded with a fantastic game as Lada returned home and grabbed a 2-1 series lead. He stopped 38 shots to preserve a 4-3 lead. Wayne Gretzky was fantastic again with a goal and two assists. He has controlled the play whenever he is on the ice. However, it was Mickey Redmond who scored the winning goal on this night. Redmond saw the first two games from the press box, but made the most of his opportunity in game 3. He drew into the line-up because of a Tomas Sandstrom suspension. Redmond's top shelft wrist shot gave Lada an insurance goal they'd need. He also got into a verbal and nearly physical battle with Harry Hyland late in the first period. It'll be tough for Coach Tommy Ivon to keep Redmond out of game 4. Now there may be questions for Rogie Vachon as he let in 4 goals on 25 shots.

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
GAME 4
GAME 4
GAME 4

Montreal Wanderers at Лада Тольятти (Lada leads 2 to 1)

SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Лада Тольятти at 15:09 - Sprague Cleghorn from Wayne Gretzky and John Tonelli

PERIOD 2

Montreal Wanderers at 2:37 - Newsy Lalonde from Joe Malone and Eric Dejardins
Montreal Wanderers at 3:07 - Didier Pitre from Newsy Lalonde and Jean-Guy Talbot
Montreal Wanderers at 4:16 - Vincent Damphousse (unassisted)
Лада Тольятти at 6:44 (PP) - Vsevolod Bobrov from Wayne Gretzky and Bill Cook
Montreal Wanderers at 18:14 - Jean Ratelle from Michel Goulet and Bernie Geoffrion

PERIOD 3

Лада Тольятти at 11:28 - Wayne Gretzky from Bill Cook and Sprague Cleghorn
Лада Тольятти at 12:05 - Wayne Gretzky from Sprague Cleghorn and Harry Lumley
Лада Тольятти at 15:46 (PP) - Wayne Gretzky from Vsevolod Bobrov

PENALTY SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Montreal Wanderers at 1:36 - Joe Malone for Holding (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 4:42 - Wayne Gretzky for Hooking (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 7:28 - Bill Cook for Hooking (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 9:48 - Simon Gagner for High Sticking (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 9:48 - Sprague Cleghorn for Roughing (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 18:24 - Michel Goulet for Holding (2 Min.)

PERIOD 2

Montreal Wanderers at 4:37 - Georges Mantha for Slashing (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 6:23 - Lester Patrick for Holding (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 7:57 - Rick Middleton for Tripping (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 13:57 - Albert Leduc for Roughing After Whistle (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 13:57 - John Tonelli for Goaltender Interference (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 15:31 - Bernie Geoffrion for Holding (2 Min.)

PERIOD 3

Montreal Wanderers at 2:53 - Albert Leduc for High Sticking (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 6:02 - Albert Leduc for Slashing (2 Min.)
Montreal Wanderers at 15:16 - Ken Mosdell for Hooking (2 Min.)

GAME STARS

1rst Star: Wayne Gretzky (3g, 2a)
2nd Star: Sprague Cleghorn (1g, 2a)
3rd Star: Newsy Lalonde (1g, 1a)

SCORING
Montreal Wanderers 0 4 0 4
Лада Тольятти 1 1 3 5

SHOTS
Montreal Wanderers 7 13 6 26
Лада Тольятти 7 13 15 35

POWER PLAYS
Montreal Wanderers 0 for 3
Лада Тольятти 2 for 8

NOTES: Wayne Gretzky continues to dominate the Montreal Wanderers. He now has 8 points in 2 games at home, and 14 points in 4 games in the playoffs so far. Sprague Cleghorn was also strong in the game for Lada with 1 goal and 2 assists on the night. Bill Cook and Bobrov each had 2 points. Newsy Lalonde continues to be the strongest Wanderer with 2 more points for a series total of 9 thus far. Vachon played a fantastic second period for Montreal, stopping 12 of 13 shots including 4 or 5 great chances. His performance allowed Montreal to build momentum and take the lead heading into the third. However, the Great One then took over the game. He scored a natural hat trick including the winning goal on a power play. The Lada crowd errupted in chants of "Gretzky! Gretzky!" after he and Bobrov put on a passing clinic on the winner. The Wanderers all seemed at a loss after the game... how can they shut down Gretzky? If they can't, is it possible to win the series? They'll have a lot of time to think about it on the flight back to Montreal.
-------------------

You the man seventies!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad