ATD #9 Foster Hewitt Quarterfinal: #3 Ottawa RCAF Flyers vs. #6 St. Louis Eagles

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
You seem to be suggesting by omission that you would take Larry Robinson over Nicklas Lidstrom, which doesn't do much for your argument, in my opinion.

Your feelings on goalies in the first round are noted. I strongly disagree, but at least we're clear on that point. Actually, I think the value of first round goalies has gotten better and better the more inflated the value of the second/third tier goalies has become. Drafting Glen Hall doesn't cost any more now than it did three drafts ago, but drafting Jiri Holecek sure does.

I respect your opinion, but I think I speak for both of us when I say that I'll take Robinson over Lidstrom any day of the week. I'll take Robinson ahead of anyone not named Orr, Shore, Harvey, Bourque, Potvin, and Kelly. Had Lidstrom been available in our draft position we still would have taken Robinson, along with a few other Dmen as well.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Hmmm...it seems that you have a shockingly low opinion of Nicklas Lidstrom. Care to share why?

I think it's just a personal preference thing. I wouldn't necessarily say he's WORSE than the guys I'm referring to, but if you take a look at any of my ATD teams, GBCs ATD teams, or our combination ATD teams, we tend to put a premium on physical play and general nastiness. I tend to like my Dmen to have an edge that Lidstrom just doesn't have. Not trying to take anything away from the type of player he is, I believe he will make Crosby completely useless in the coming cup final, but he's not the kind of guy I take as my number one D in an ATD. Hopefully that makes sense...

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Pappy your idea of matching first lines in this series is interesting. I like the idea of Schmidt and Lach going at it again, there was an article on nhl.com a while back where the two of them talked about playing each other. Also, for what it's worth, in the legends of hockey videos Maurice Richard calls Schmidt the best player he ever played against. Obviously the biggest game breaker in the series is in the St. Louis corner, but I think our team defense can limit him. Definitely won't shut him down, the new punch line will still get their points, but I don't think they'll get enough of 'em.

I think the funniest thing about our team is the fact that we set out not to make the mistake of ignoring secondary scoring, and we still apparently did. I think GBC is right when he says that Lemaire is being underrated in this series. Maybe people think he mooched off of Lafleur? I don't know, but the numbers he put up in the playoffs and the way he put those numbers up really can't be ignored. Larmer will get his points too, count on that. Also, if secondary scoring is a big issue once the series starts, there's always the option of moving Mohns up into Corson's spot. We don't want to do that, but we have the versatility and the defensive personnel to make a move like that.

Enough has probably been said about our D and goaltending, but IMO Cheesie will be the better goaltender in this series.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Hmmm...it seems that you have a shockingly low opinion of Nicklas Lidstrom. Care to share why?
I really like Lidstrom. I just like Robinson more. More mobile, a little better offensively, more physical. And as good as Lidstrom's playoff record is, I'd argue Robinson's was better.

I would take Chelios and Fetisov ahead of Lidstrom, too.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I really like Lidstrom. I just like Robinson more. More mobile, a little better offensively, more physical. And as good as Lidstrom's playoff record is, I'd argue Robinson's was better.

I would take Chelios and Fetisov ahead of Lidstrom, too.

Those were the two I was thinking about when I said there were guys between them.

BlueBleeder

Sep 28, 2004
Looking for others
But is Bonin good enough defensively to play shift after shift against a Larmer or especially a Neely? I don't think he is. As I said before, I like Bonin in a fourth line role, for the reasons you outlined above. But in a third line role? It's a match-up that could be exploited.

Bonin was very good defensivly for the Wings in 55.
As for matching up with Neely, the man wrestled bears (which he will be doing this match up as well) in the offseason, I think Bonin can be effective against Neely. Also if Laprade and Curry keep the puck away from Schmidt, Neely become slightly less effective.
Neely scored a little over 1/3 of his goals on the PP as well. The Eagles won't be taking alot of penalties so he will get little chance there.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I really like Lidstrom. I just like Robinson more. More mobile, a little better offensively, more physical.

- more mobile: no - top end speed, maybe, but Lidstrom accelerates better than Robinson, has better balance and is more nimble on his feet in traffic.

- better offensively: again no - how much of Larry Robinson's prime did you watch, GBC? One thing about Robinson that a lot of posters seem not to get is how many chances he took up ice in order to get his offense. That works out great when you've got Serge Savard and Ken Dryden covering for you at the other end, and Robinson was certainly a fine offensive player, but his offense often came at a price. Lidstrom never had a partner like Savard and has always picked his spots a lot more judiciously. Their offensive output is basically the same, but Lidstrom is almost never caught up ice and out of position. Robinson often was, it's just that he had the teammates to minimize the damage. Lidstrom is the better powerplay quarterback, as well.

- more physical: true - but again, Robinson would take a lot of chances for big hits and sometimes get burned badly. There was a lot more Rob Blake (to use a modern example that everyone can relate to) in Robinson's playing style than many posters seem to realize. Robinson was much more steady positionally and in his own zone than Blake (just to clear things up), but in open ice, their styles were much the same: high risk/high reward. Robinson gambled a lot more for his offensive/physical output than you seem to believe. Of the great physical defensemen of his generation (including Park and Potvin, then), Robinson was easily the most liable to brain farts and being caught out of position up ice, and in fact got turnstiled pretty badly by Brad Park a couple of times in the 74 playoffs with Dryden sitting out.

Robinson's only real advantage over Lidstrom, in my opinion, is the big hits. Nick's offense/defense combination is simply better, and he's been more consistent throughout his career. Robinson could be a little bit up and down, while Lidstrom has had only one season in the last 10 in which he's finished worse than 2nd in Norris voting (6th in 03-04). After Serge Savard left Montreal (1981), Robinson's career kind of falls off the table. I'm not saying that Savard made Robinson, but having watched them play together and then apart, it is clear to me that Larry largely depended on Serge to give him the offensive freedom that he needed to play his game. Lidstrom has never had that kind of help from a defensive partner, nor has he needed it.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I give Ottawa a large edge in defense, the actual defenses are quite equal, but every forward line Ottawa has is capable of being a checking line.

I also give a large offensive edge to St. Louis. As good as Schmidt and Neely were, honestly, they weren't even Denneny when it comes to game breaking offense, and forget comparing them to Richard. As for the second lines, Lemaire's offense may be underrated, but under no circumstances should he be the best offensive player on a line that needs to produce, on a 3rd line, yeah, but on a second line, ouch. Both Lemaire and Larmer are complimentary offensive players, and one's I'm not sure would click. Corson, what is he doing there? 4th line talent with MLD attitude. As for St. Louis' second line, it's just average. Nilsson and Gilbert can get the job done and Sutter is filling the same role as Corson, just better in every single way.

I like the talent on St. Louis' defense more, but I like the build of Ottawa's defense more.

Cheevers is a better big game goalie than Thompson, but, Thompson is a better goalie than Cheevers.

Some brutal match-ups in this ATD...

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I give Ottawa a large edge in defense, the actual defenses are quite equal, but every forward line Ottawa has is capable of being a checking line.

I also give a large offensive edge to St. Louis. As good as Schmidt and Neely were, honestly, they weren't even Denneny when it comes to game breaking offense, and forget comparing them to Richard. As for the second lines, Lemaire's offense may be underrated, but under no circumstances should he be the best offensive player on a line that needs to produce, on a 3rd line, yeah, but on a second line, ouch. Both Lemaire and Larmer are complimentary offensive players, and one's I'm not sure would click. Corson, what is he doing there? 4th line talent with MLD attitude. As for St. Louis' second line, it's just average. Nilsson and Gilbert can get the job done and Sutter is filling the same role as Corson, just better in every single way.

I like the talent on St. Louis' defense more, but I like the build of Ottawa's defense more.

Cheevers is a better big game goalie than Thompson, but, Thompson is a better goalie than Cheevers.

Some brutal match-ups in this ATD...
Cy Denneny a better game-breaker than Milt Schmidt? You're basing that on? Denneny's performance when the NHL was not even the best league? Schmidt shreds those early NHA/NHL leagues. I think top 10 finishes in scoring in the NHL's early days are nice, but they're a lot more credible after 1926, when the last western league closed shop and their best players went to the NHL.

Schmidt had two point-per-game seasons, and two other near point-per-game seasons, at a time when it was incredibly difficult. A point-per-game season in the late 30s, early 40s, late 40s and most of the 1950s was like a 120-150 point season in the 70s, the 80s and most of the 90s.

Neely probably wasn't as good of a point producer as Denneny, but he was a better goal scorer. Perhaps you need to reacquaint yourself with Cam Neely. Go watch the 1988 Adams Final when Neely was dominant, and the Bruins beat the Habs (who were the heavy favourites) for the first time in 40 years. Or watch the 1990 and 1991 playoffs.

You also left John Bucyk out of the discussion. Top 10 in goals and assists five times each. A point-per-game player in the playoffs post-expansion. Big part of the Bruins two Cup wins. Put up some very good numbers for the O6 era, and on some very pedestrian Bruin teams, too, and then showed what he could do once the Bruins surrounded him with capable talent.

Why is Shayne Corson on our second line? Same reason that Adam Graves is on your second line. People underrate Corson's playoff performances. His career playoff PPG is .02 below Brian Sutter's. And Corson played a lot more games. If you look at the age 20-32 playoff totals for both Corson and Sutter (the age range for Sutter's post-season career), Corson's pace is better. I really like Brian Sutter, I think he's a great second line winger for this, but his playoff performances weren't as good as you might think.

You definitely underestimate Lemaire. Top 10 in scoring three times. Led the playoffs in goals and points in his last year in the league. He's not just a "complimentary player." He's a great skater, a very hard shooter, and a very, very smart playmaker. He came darn close to 100 points a couple times. (Not as many 100 point guys in the 70s as you might think. Attainable, but a very respected achievement. In those years, you had a few years with several guys around 120 points, and then guys at 90 points). He can be a difference maker offensively. He is an ideal second line centre.

Larmer's best year was the year after Denis Savard was traded. And he was over a point-per-game in the playoffs until his last two years, when his body was starting to break down (he played with a very bad back at the end, and even though he was still good enough to be a fourth line role guy, he didn't want that. So he packed it in).

In the regular season, a Sutter-Nilson-Gilbert would be the better line. This is the playoffs. Would Ulf Nilson be good enough to lead the playoffs in goals and points? Did he have that big-game mentality? He did his damage in the WHA. Playing on a line with one of the best players ever, and in a league that was tailor-made for his game. Gilbert? For a guy that good in the regular season, his playoff record is underwhelming. 67 points in 79 games. Played only nine playoff games in the O6 era. The vast majority of his post-season play came post-expansion. For an offensive player, I'd expect more in terms of playoff performance.

I think you also underrate our talent on the blue-line. Robinson? We know what he can do. (Although you have this hang-up on what he did post-30. Never see it as an argument for anyone else who played on the Habs, Islanders or Oilers dynasty). Day? Very underrated defenceman. If you don't believe me, go talk to resident blue-line expert Evil Speaker. He's a big Day fan. Day's numbers are very good for a defenceman in the late 20s and 30s. Mohns? How many defencemen scored 20 goals from the end of the war, to the arrival of Bobby Orr? One. Doug Mohns. Excellent offensive talent who was really good defensively, and tough as nails. Formed a great tandem with Fern Flaman. Think Gary Suter. But a better skater, and no hits from behind. Brad Maxwell, when he was healthy, was very productive. In the playoffs, he was healthy. The result? An impressive 61 points in 79 games.

You want speed? Our defence has speed. You want toughness? Lots of toughness. Defensive ability? It's all there. Skill? Four of our defencemen were excellent at moving the puck, and Barilko's offensive game was just coming into its own. And they're complimented by terrific team defence.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Gilbert? For a guy that good in the regular season, his playoff record is underwhelming. 67 points in 79 games. Played only nine playoff games in the O6 era. The vast majority of his post-season play came post-expansion. For an offensive player, I'd expect more in terms of playoff performance.

GBC, you consistently use this simplistic points per game metric to knock forwards who lost their prime years on horrible playoff teams, and you are consistently unfair in doing so. Rod Gilbert led the Rangers in playoff scoring in 61-62 (at the age of 20), 66-67, 67-68 and 69-70, played well in 71 when the Rangers went down to the Blackhawks and was huge in the Rags' 72 run to the finals with Jean Ratelle on the bench nursing a broken ankle.

If there was a playoff choker on those Rangers teams, believe me, it was Ratelle. You can't really blame him for getting slashed in 72, but he had a way of fading under physical pressure in the postseason. Of course, Ratelle did much better in the playoffs on a better Bruins team, but as much as I liked the guy, he certainly deserves more blame than Rod Gilbert for the Rangers' 70's playoff failures.

Care to guess what John Bucyk's playoff record looks like when he played on crappy teams? From 55-69 (up to the year before Bobby Orr exploded and they won the Cup - I generously include 68-69, when John was actually good), here is Bucyk's playoff line: 8-18-26 in 47 games.

Excuse my french, but that's ****ing awful for a guy with Bucyk's reputation. Was Bucyk a huge playoff choker who magically turned it around, or was he a perfectly normal player who had the misfortune of beginning his career on rotten teams and later did well when he was lucky enough to line up for the second greatest offensive team in history?

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
GBC, you consistently use this simplistic points per game metric to knock forwards who lost their prime years on horrible playoff teams, and you are consistently unfair in doing so. Rod Gilbert led the Rangers in playoff scoring in 61-62 (at the age of 20), 66-67, 67-68 and 69-70, played well in 71 when the Rangers went down to the Blackhawks and was huge in the Rags' 72 run to the finals with Jean Ratelle on the bench nursing a broken ankle.

If there was a playoff choker on those Rangers teams, believe me, it was Ratelle. You can't really blame him for getting slashed in 72, but he had a way of fading under physical pressure in the postseason. Of course, Ratelle did much better in the playoffs on a better Bruins team, but as much as I liked the guy, he certainly deserves more blame than Rod Gilbert for the Rangers' 70's playoff failures.

Care to guess what John Bucyk's playoff record looks like when he played on crappy teams? From 55-69 (up to the year before Bobby Orr exploded and they won the Cup - I generously include 68-69, when John was actually good), here is Bucyk's playoff line: 8-18-26 in 47 games.

Excuse my french, but that's ****ing awful for a guy with Bucyk's reputation. Was Bucyk a huge playoff choker who magically turned it around, or was he a perfectly normal player who had the misfortune of beginning his career on rotten teams and later did well when he was lucky enough to line up for the second greatest offensive team in history?
56, 57 and 58 were his first three years in the league. Two of those years, he went to the final. In those first two years, he was a complimentary player. (Take a look at those regular season numbers). His production moved up in 58 in the regular season; it did not in the playoffs. Six points in a first round loss in 59 is actually pretty good.

Subtract those first three years, he has 96 points in 97 post-season games.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
56, 57 and 58 were his first three years in the league. Two of those years, he went to the final. In those first two years, he was a complimentary player. (Take a look at those regular season numbers). His production moved up in 58 in the regular season; it did not in the playoffs. Six points in a first round loss in 59 is actually pretty good.

Subtract those first three years, he has 96 points in 97 post-season games.

We're arbitrarily subtracting crappy playoff performances now? Aren't you the guy who criticized Selanne for scoring three of the four playoff goals (in only 6 contests, mind you) he put up in his rookie year in the same game?

The point here is not to criticize John Bucyk (though I wonder what you'd do with him on another team - I mean, even using your generous calculation methods, scoring less than a point per game post-expansion for one of the greatest offensive teams of all time isn't really all that hot), but to point out that the sword cuts both ways. Simplistic "he didn't score enough" points-per-game assassination of good forwards on bad playoff teams is a cancer to the ATD process. It gives us the idea that these players didn't get the chance because they didn't deserve it, which I think is grossly unfair.

You have to take into account what these players were doing relative to their own teammates. In Gilbert's case, he was consistently the best offensive playoff performer on a bad team - that's all their is to it. Rod Gilbert rang the bell in the postseason, and absolutely should not be criticized for the fact that his teammates weren't good enough to overcome the steady stream of #1 and #2 seeds the Rangers ran into during his prime.

If you want to carve a chunk out of forwards who got outscored by their own lesser teammates in losing playoff efforts (and there are a few of those), fine by me, but taking hacks at guys like Rod Gilbert is little more than cheapshotting. Rod Gilbert's playoff resume isn't a plus in his column, but neither is it a minus.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
We're arbitrarily subtracting crappy playoff performances now? Aren't you the guy who criticized Selanne for scoring three of the four playoff goals (in only 6 contests, mind you) he put up in his rookie year in the same game?

The point here is not to criticize John Bucyk (though I wonder what you'd do with him on another team - I mean, even using your generous calculation methods, scoring less than a point per game post-expansion for one of the greatest offensive teams of all time isn't really all that hot), but to point out that the sword cuts both ways. Simplistic "he didn't score enough" points-per-game assassination of good forwards on bad playoff teams is a cancer to the ATD process. It gives us the idea that these players didn't get the chance because they didn't deserve it, which I think is grossly unfair.

You have to take into account what these players were doing relative to their own teammates. In Gilbert's case, he was consistently the best offensive playoff performer on a bad team - that's all their is to it. Rod Gilbert rang the bell in the postseason, and absolutely should not be criticized for the fact that his teammates weren't good enough to overcome the steady stream of #1 and #2 seeds the Rangers ran into during his prime.

If you want to carve a chunk out of forwards who got outscored by their own lesser teammates in losing playoff efforts (and there are a few of those), fine by me, but taking hacks at guys like Rod Gilbert is little more than cheapshotting. Rod Gilbert's playoff resume isn't a plus in his column, but neither is it a minus.
A world of difference between Bucyk and Selanne for their rookie seasons. That's a terrible comparison. Bucyk wasn't coming off a record-setting season. He was a call-up who had nine points in 38 games. And you're going to hold it against him that he had two points in 10 games, playing in the O6 era at that?

Gilbert's playoff record is underwhelming. I'd expect more than 67 points in 79 games for a guy of his credentials and offensive ability. And I wouldn't say the Rangers were a one-line team. No less than the Hawks of the 80s. My point was that Larmer was the better post-season player.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
- more mobile: no - top end speed, maybe, but Lidstrom accelerates better than Robinson, has better balance and is more nimble on his feet in traffic.

- better offensively: again no - how much of Larry Robinson's prime did you watch, GBC? One thing about Robinson that a lot of posters seem not to get is how many chances he took up ice in order to get his offense. That works out great when you've got Serge Savard and Ken Dryden covering for you at the other end, and Robinson was certainly a fine offensive player, but his offense often came at a price. Lidstrom never had a partner like Savard and has always picked his spots a lot more judiciously. Their offensive output is basically the same, but Lidstrom is almost never caught up ice and out of position. Robinson often was, it's just that he had the teammates to minimize the damage. Lidstrom is the better powerplay quarterback, as well.

- more physical: true - but again, Robinson would take a lot of chances for big hits and sometimes get burned badly. There was a lot more Rob Blake (to use a modern example that everyone can relate to) in Robinson's playing style than many posters seem to realize. Robinson was much more steady positionally and in his own zone than Blake (just to clear things up), but in open ice, their styles were much the same: high risk/high reward. Robinson gambled a lot more for his offensive/physical output than you seem to believe. Of the great physical defensemen of his generation (including Park and Potvin, then), Robinson was easily the most liable to brain farts and being caught out of position up ice, and in fact got turnstiled pretty badly by Brad Park a couple of times in the 74 playoffs with Dryden sitting out.

Robinson's only real advantage over Lidstrom, in my opinion, is the big hits. Nick's offense/defense combination is simply better, and he's been more consistent throughout his career. Robinson could be a little bit up and down, while Lidstrom has had only one season in the last 10 in which he's finished worse than 2nd in Norris voting (6th in 03-04). After Serge Savard left Montreal (1981), Robinson's career kind of falls off the table. I'm not saying that Savard made Robinson, but having watched them play together and then apart, it is clear to me that Larry largely depended on Serge to give him the offensive freedom that he needed to play his game. Lidstrom has never had that kind of help from a defensive partner, nor has he needed it.
I think your scouting report would be valid for early in his career, but by the time the Habs dynasty of the late 70s was rolling, I don't think your assessment holds much water.

HF's own Joe Pelletier has a pretty good write-up on Big Bird here:

http://habslegends.blogspot.com/2007/10/larry-robinson.html

I think Robinson is definitely better than Lidstrom offensively. Robinson led the playoffs, and a Cup champ, in scoring in 1978. He had some very impressive post-season scoring totals, and we all know what he did in the regular season.

A couple other things worth noting:

*reck posted something in the HOH Top 100 voting thing a few weeks ago. In 1981, Robinson was picked as the player teams would want the most if starting up a franchise.

*As I mentioned earlier, after his performance in the 76 final, the Flyers set out to acquire their own Larry Robinson. They didn't do too well, and the best they could do was Bob Dailey. (See Dailey's legendsofhockey.net profile for more). Much like the Flyers after the 76 final, the hockey world is still looking for the next Larry Robinson. The closest we've come is Chris Pronger.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
St. Louis Wins Game One On The Road
The series between the St. Louis Eagles and the Ottawa RCAF Flyers began with a barn burner last night in Ottawa and resulted in a 3-2 overtime win for the Eagles. Unsurpringly, the leader for the Eagles was Maurice “Rocket†Richard. The Rocket would open the scoring for the Eagles midway through the first period when he fired a shot five-hole on Gary Cheevers. The Flyers wouldn’t allow the Eagles to take a two-goal lead and put the pressure once they were down a goal. Their efforts were rewarded late in the first period when Milt Schmidt found Cam Neely at the side of the net. Neely didn’t make a mistake and quickly fired the puck past a sprawling Tiny Thompson. Although the teams would trade numerous chances for most of the game, the lamp wasn’t lit again until early in the 3rd period when Johnny Bucyk tallied one for the Flyers, putting them up 2-1. The hometown crowd was in a frenzy and most thought Ottawa would hold on and win game one, but with the goalie pulled and the pressure on, Elmer Lach was johnny on the spot when a puck was left in front of Cheevers. Lach had no trouble burying the puck in the back of the net to tie the game up and send it into OT. The Rocket was the hero once again in OT, when he got a chance in alone. A playoff game, overtime, Rocket Richard, it’s not difficult to guess what heppened next. The Rocket scored, and the Eagles were up 1-0 in the series.

Final:
3-2 St. Louis
St. Louis leads series 1-0

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Big Bird Leads Flyers To Game 2 Win

The Flyers weren’t about to lose back to back games at home, and Larry Robinson made sure of it, notching a goal and an assist in a 4-2 Ottawa win last night. Robinson would get his night started when he set Steve Larmer up for a big goal in the 2nd period. Cy Denneny would tie things up for the Eagles later in the frame on a great set-up from Elmer Lach, but this night belonged to the Flyers. Glen Skov would get a goal,assisted by Brendan Morrow on a fantastic shift for the Ottawa 4th line putting Ottawa up 2-1, and they wouldn’t look back after that. Larry Robinson would fake a shot, elude a shot block and then let one fly, beating Thompson and giving the Flyers a 2-goal lead. Rocket Richard would try and lead his team back to victory with a goal midway through the 3rd but couldn’t beat Cheevers again after that. Milt Schmidt would fire a shot down the ice and into the empty net late in the 3rd to end the game for Ottawa.

Final: 4-2 Ottawa
Series Tied 1-1

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Eagles Take 2-1 Series Lead

The Eagles enjoyed being home last night, and came from behind to notch a 3-2 win over the Ottawa RCAF last night in St. Louis. Things looked great for the Flyers early on when they jumped ahead to a 2-0 lead on goals by Schmidt and Neely. But that would be all the Flyers would be able to muster, and while they were able to withhold the St. Louis attack for awhile, the Eagles would eventually come through in the clutch and score 3 unanswered goals for the win. First, Elmer Lach would put one home on the powerplay, and after that it was once again all about the Rocket. Richard would tally two goals in the 3rd period completing the comeback for St. Louis

"********. Absolute ********. We lost this one on our own tonight" an irate Milt Schmidt said post-game. "I'm not one for giving the other team bulletin board material, but I'll tell you this much. We wont blow another lead like that again"

Final 3-2 St. Louis

St. Louis leads series 2-1

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Flyers Tie It Up

The Ottawa RCAF Flyers tied up their quarterfinal matchup in convincing fashion last night with a 4-1 win over the St. Louis Eagles. Steve Larmer scored, assisted by Jacques Lemaire early on to put the RCAF up 1-0. The Eagles would get a chance on the powerplay and would convert when Richard found Bill Quackenbush pinching into to tie the game at one. The rest of the game belonged to the Flyers. Mike McPhee would score his first of the series in the 2nd to put the Flyers up 2-1. McPhee would get his 2nd point of the game when he hit Doug Mohns with a great pass. Diesel fired the shot passed Thompson giving Ottawa a 3-1 lead. Gary Cheevers stood on his head the rest of the way whenever the Flyers needed a big save. Milt Schmidt would tally one late to give the Flyers the 4-1 win.

"Huge, it was huge" Tommy Gorman said post-game. "To come back and play 60 minutes like we did tonight was absolutely necessary"

Final 4-1 Ottawa
Series Tied 2-2

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Flyers A Win Away From Moving On

The Ottawa RCAF Flyers came home to a raucous ovation and came through with a 3-2 win over the St. Louis Eagles last night in Ottawa. This would be a tight checking affair with little to no offense until the midway point of the 2nd period when Shayne Corson potted his first goal of the playoffs when he buried the rebound off a shot from the point. St. Louis would tie things up later in the 2nd frame when Gilbert assisted on a Nilsson goal. Ottawa would answer the tying goal before the period was out when Cam Neely fired a one-timer past Tiny Thompson to put the Flyers up 2-1. Brian Sutter would get in on the scoring action for the first time of the series when he tipped a shot past Gary Cheevers to even the game at 2 goals apiece midway through the 3rd period. The final minutes of the 3rd saw fast paced action with each side getting great chances to put the game away. But it would be Milt Schmidt, with 90 seconds remaining who would be the hero in this one, sliding a shot past Tiny Thompson and scoring the game winning goal.

Final 3-2 Ottawa

Ottawa leads series 3-2

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Ottawa Moving On To Face Minnesota

The Ottawa RCAF Flyers are moving onto the 2nd round following a 4-3 overtime win over the St. Louis Eagles last night. This was despite a phenomenal performance by Rocket Richard who notched a hattrick in the loss. The Flyers opened the scoring on a goal by Bucyk and would get another later in the first when Cam Neely assisted on a goal by Hap Day. The next part of the game was all about Rocket Richard. He would go to work quickly, cutting the lead to 2-1 when he potted one on the powerplay, and soon after would tie things up on a snapshot from the slot. Things were tied up going into the 3rd period and everyone in the building knew the next 20 minutes were going to be for the ages. Maurice Richard would notch the hattrick five minutes into the 3rd period, putting his team up 3-2. Tiny Thompson did all he could to hold the fort, but eventually after making several key saves he was beaten by Doug Mohns on a booming shot from the point to send the game into overtime. Once overtime hit, things went up another notch, something those who saw the game live claimed afterwords, would have seemed impossible given the intensity of the 3rd. But midway through the first overtime we were given our moment of the series. Milt Schmidt was high sticked behind the Eagles net, but drew no call despite the cut he had received. Schmidt was not one to go down however and when a clearing attempt failed and Robinson fired a shot on net, it was Milt Schmidt there ready to put in the rebound. Blood, sweat and tears. Ottawa was moving on.

Final 3-2 Ottawa

Ottawa Wins Series 4-2

3 Stars
1. Maurice Richard
2. Milt Schmidt
3. Larry Robinson

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Went pretty much how I thought it would go. I knew it would be a tough series, but I knew that we would have enough to pull it out. The only big surprise was that we beat your team in three straight games. If you would have told me before the series that St. Louis would take a 2-1 series lead, I would have said "we'll win in seven" because St. Louis isn't the type of team you beat in three straight games.

Congrats to BB for putting together a heck of a team. Definitely not the squad we wanted to face in the first round. A pleasure to debate with you. I'd like to face you again some time, although not with the team you assembled.

Also thanks to TC for doing such a good job with the series write-ups. We always like to know right away whether or not we're done.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad