Dan Bain, Clint Smith

#7 Paul Coffey - #4 Kevin Lowe (A)
#3 Lionel Conacher - #5 Lennart Svedberg
Harry Mummery - Bert Corbeau
Doug Bodger

#1 Terry Sawchuk
Riley Hern

Power play units:
PP1: Markus Naslund - Darryl Sittler - Bill Mosienko - Paul Coffey - Lennart Svedberg
PP2: Sweeney Schriner - Frank Fredrickson - Mike Foligno - Lionel Conacher - Rene Robert

Penalty killing units:
PK1: Bob Pulford - Dave Keon - Lionel Conacher - Kevin Lowe
PK2: Mike Foligno - Kris Draper - Harry Mummery - Bert Corbeau​

Last edited:

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
Some small changes in the Nordiques line-up.

Moore - Oates - Ciccarelli
Nicholls - Primeau - Recchi
Gottselig - Bourne - Dornhoefer
Maloney - Gracie - Duguay
Brown,Walsh

Orr - Green
Sologubov - Ludwig
McDonald - Rocherfort
Jonsson

Gardiner
Connell

PP #1

Moore - Oates - Ciccarelli
Orr - Green

PP #2

Nicholls - Primeau - Recchi
Sologubov - McDonald

PK #1

Gottselig - Primeau
Orr - McDonald

PK #2

Bourne - Dornhoefer
Sologubov - Ludwig

Some detail about the match-up later.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
first off, congrats to jungosi for building a solid team.

this looks like it should be a great series, with two even teams.

i'll post more later but, at first glance, i find the orr vs. coffey match-up very intriguing.

this series will see arguably the two best offensive defenceman and, the two best skating defenceman in the history of the game. though orr has a definite advantage over coffey (in my opinion, orr is the best player ever) i can't help but think that his skating advantage, which he would have over any other defenceman, is quite reduced having to square-off against coffey (and, to a lesser extent, svedberg). it will be interesting to see how this match-up develops.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I think Orr has no skating advantage whatsoever over Coffey. His edge is in his defensive play, physicality, and (slightly) better offensive vision. Coffey may have actually been the faster, better skater but he's inferior to Orr in just about every other aspect of the game.

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
First off I also want to congratulate you for making 5th seed in a tough division.

I'm gonna play the advantage-disadvante game ;)

Goaltending

You have the better starter by a not too big margin. Gardiners peak was short but phenomenal while Sawchuk was consistently great for a long time. My back-up is legitimate starter so the Nordiques definetly have the advantage in this department. But back-ups play little role in the playoffs so I have to give you a small advantage here.

Advantage : Tapees by a small margin

Defense

My first pairing is better then yours in terms of defence while offensively there isn't too much difference between Orr and Coffey. Your second pairing has an advantage with Conacher who is a nodge over Sologubov. I question Svedbergs toughness and as I know he sometimes had defensive lapses. Ludwig is a big safer in this department but is practicly a non-factor no the rush. Both third pairings are solid but spectecular.

Advantage : Pretty even but it might the Nordiques.

Offense

Both teams have the best rushing defensemen ever. Both first lines basicly have 4 forwards what could be awesome to watch.In terms of forwards my first line is ther though. Moore beats Schriner , Oates and Sittler are a toss-up and not unsimilar in what they archieved. Ciccarelli should have some great chemistry with Oates and Orr and that is what makes him better than Mosienko. He also was a strong playoff performer. Quebec also has a small advantage on the second line. Primeau had a great peak , while Keon is superior defensively a was an awesome playoff performer. Offensively they are about even I guess but Keon is the better center overall. Nicholls and Naslund are even in my opinion. Naslund is a better goal scorer but lacks of Bernie's grit and playoff strenght. Recchi is a way better producer and playoff performer then his counterpart. Foligno is tougher though. Quebec's third line gives some strong playoff two-way play and can score some goals. The Tapees line is more defensively oriented. Your fourth line is nice asssembled with some early scoring star. Roberts is a absolutely deserving ATD-Player. They have a little advantage over my Jeans-Line.

Overall I'd say advantage : Quebec

more later.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Two teams I liked, and two teams that I ranked higher than their finish (and I'll say it (again?), the Nordiques were my 2nd favorite team in this draft). Definitely one of the most interesting series.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
First off I also want to congratulate you for making 5th seed in a tough division.

I'm gonna play the advantage-disadvante game ;)

i'll post some more later, but here are my initial thoughts on the matchup.

Goaltending

You have the better starter by a not too big margin. Gardiners peak was short but phenomenal while Sawchuk was consistently great for a long time. My back-up is legitimate starter so the Nordiques definetly have the advantage in this department. But back-ups play little role in the playoffs so I have to give you a small advantage here.

Advantage : Tapees by a small margin

i agree with your analysis here. gardiner's peak was certainly phenomenal, but sawchuk was consistently good throughout his career. since we have ventured into the post-season now, sawchuk's four stanley cups, and playoff stats, gives him the edge over gardiner.
here are the stats from their best playoff season...
gardiner: 6 wins, 1 loss, 2 shutouts, 1.43 gaa (29 years old)
sawchuk: 8 wins, 0 losses, 4 shutouts, 0.62 gaa (22 years old)

with regards to back-ups - both sawchuk and gardiner are warriors so, back-ups will ride the pine all series. however, they are both pretty close - connell was great, but hern won 4 stanley cups (which is great for a back-up).

advantage: st. catharines

Defense

My first pairing is better then yours in terms of defence while offensively there isn't too much difference between Orr and Coffey. Your second pairing has an advantage with Conacher who is a nodge over Sologubov. I question Svedbergs toughness and as I know he sometimes had defensive lapses. Ludwig is a big safer in this department but is practicly a non-factor no the rush. Both third pairings are solid but spectecular.

Advantage : Pretty even but it might the Nordiques.

i agree - the defence is pretty close between both teams. bobby orr is without a doubt the best of the bunch but, as i mentioned earlier, both coffey and svedberg have the ability to skate with orr (coffey may arguably be the best skater in this series). offensively, orr and coffey are close but, orr is certainly better defensively. the teepees fully expect lowe to act as defensive presence for coffey (allowing coffey to play the game according to his abilities). so, quebec has a slight edge in first pairing defense.

second pairing - i give the edge to st. catharines. svedberg (euro-coffey) is easily the third best skating defenseman in the series. i agree with your assessment that he lacks the toughness and size but, thats where "big train" conacher comes in handy. similar to lowe, conacher will compliment svedbergs play, allowing him to play the game based on his abilities. ludwig is great defensively, and, from what i've read, sologubov is a fantastic defenseman but, i still give st.catharines the edge.

third pairing - once again, at first glance, give the edge to st.catharines. mummery and corbeau provide a huge physical presence on the blueline, which will be pounding the nordiques all series.

overall advantage - even (though i'm leaning towards st.catharines - however, it's tough to argue against an orr-lead blueline)

Offense

Both teams have the best rushing defensemen ever. Both first lines basicly have 4 forwards what could be awesome to watch.In terms of forwards my first line is ther though. Moore beats Schriner , Oates and Sittler are a toss-up and not unsimilar in what they archieved. Ciccarelli should have some great chemistry with Oates and Orr and that is what makes him better than Mosienko. He also was a strong playoff performer. Quebec also has a small advantage on the second line. Primeau had a great peak , while Keon is superior defensively a was an awesome playoff performer. Offensively they are about even I guess but Keon is the better center overall. Nicholls and Naslund are even in my opinion. Naslund is a better goal scorer but lacks of Bernie's grit and playoff strenght. Recchi is a way better producer and playoff performer then his counterpart. Foligno is tougher though. Quebec's third line gives some strong playoff two-way play and can score some goals. The Tapees line is more defensively oriented. Your fourth line is nice asssembled with some early scoring star. Roberts is a absolutely deserving ATD-Player. They have a little advantage over my Jeans-Line.

Overall I'd say advantage : Quebec

more later.

dickie moore is definitely the best forward in the series. and, oates is certainly the best-playmaker. i really like that you decided to play both of them on the same line. ciccarelli provides a fantastic physical presence on that line. sweeney schriner is a very underrated player (i'll post more on schriner later), sittler is a decent firstline centre, and mosienko provides fantastic speed. looking at both teams, i agree that quebec may have the advantage - though it's certainly not by a huge margin.

where i believe st.catharines will excel is on the defensive side. keon is a fantastic two-way centre and, provides some great flexibility to the line-up. we could play keon as a second-line centre / defensive presence for naslund - or, as the centre of a very strong shutdown line (pulford - keon - draper / foligno) which, in my opinion, could easily neutralize the quebec offense. should keon be shifted to a shutdown / thirdline role, frederickson can easily move onto the secondline without the offence suffering (it may even be better offensively).

so, in regards to forwards - offensively, i give a slight edge to quebec but, defensively, i believe st.catharines has the edge.

another aspect - coaching.

in my opinion, definite advantage for st.catharines here. jacques demers is a good coach but, arbour is arguably one of the top-three (if not top-two) coachs of all-time.

series advantage - st.catharines (though it is very close).

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
How many times have we seen a series in which the top two offensive threats are defencemen?

I have Jungosi's team a lot higher, and I viewed St. Catherine's as a team built for the playoffs.

I'm disappointed there hasn't been more talk, because this is likely one of the top two or three series in the first round. My final vote will be based on which GM does the best job of talking.

I like the top two lines in Quebec, except for one thing - Nichols as a second-line LW. I like Nichols as a gritty second line, but at centre, not left wing.

There's a lot of grit on Quebec's top two lines. That's an advantage. Especially if they can play against the top line in St. Catherine's, which I think is a little soft. Great speed, one of the fastest in the draft, but is the Sittler line tough enough?

Sawchuk has an edge over Gardiner, but it's not as big as you might think.

Biggest edge in this series is behind the bench. Demers is good. Arbour is one of the best ever. Might be the biggest coaching mis-match of the draft. It's not only a situation where if you think it's the tie-breaker, you vote for Arbour's team; if you think they're close, you vote for Arbour's Teepees.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
I like the top two lines in Quebec, except for one thing - Nichols as a second-line LW. I like Nichols as a gritty second line, but at centre, not left wing.

There's a lot of grit on Quebec's top two lines. That's an advantage. Especially if they can play against the top line in St. Catherine's, which I think is a little soft. Great speed, one of the fastest in the draft, but is the Sittler line tough enough?

i agree gbc - with the teepees firstline (schriner - sittler - moore) as is, they certainly are not as gritty as dino or bernie. that said, we believe that the players in our line-up, alongside al arbour as coach, provides sufficient flexibility to address these needs.

i'll post a little more on arbour later - suffice to say, he was capable of rallying the troops and, getting the best out of his players by instilling strong work ethic and discipline. he let his players play to their abilities and, was extremely successful in the process (4 cups, 19 consecutive playoff series wins).

back to the line-up strategies (i'll post more in-depth strategies soon)...
though quebec's top-two lines may be slightly grittier, the teepees top-two lines are much faster (even more if the defenceman are included). so, will the nordiques be able to skate alongside the teepees?

should st. catharines feel as though the are being outmatched physically, the lines can be juggled to accomodate. rene robert (who was a first-line rw in buffalo, and a 0.82ppg player in the playoffs) can step onto the first-line, increasing the physical presence yet remaining skilled enough to allow sittler and schriner to continue to be effective offensively. though he may be small, robert had a strong work ethic and hustle...

"He blocked shots, threw his weight around and fought. H even played though he had a broken thumb, a separated shoulder and a pulled groin! Considering our collection of players, I wouldn't have blamed Robert if he had just thrown in the towel, but he wouldn't quit." - don cherry on coaching rene robert

Quit was the one thing Robert would never do. He never forgot how hard he had to work to make the NHL, and to work twice as hard to reach the dizzying heights that he achieved. As long as Robert laced up the skates, no one on the ice could out hustle him. Hard work and a little luck were Robert's trademarks

additionally, all three teepees defensive pairings have great balance between puck-moving / offensive ability (coffey, svedberg, corbeau / mummery), and strong defensive awareness and physical presence (lowe, conacher, mummery / corbeau). any three of our defensive lines can be used with the teepees top-two forward lines to increase physical presence and open-up space for the offensive forwards to work.

Last edited:

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
arbour vs. demers

Biggest edge in this series is behind the bench. Demers is good. Arbour is one of the best ever. Might be the biggest coaching mis-match of the draft. It's not only a situation where if you think it's the tie-breaker, you vote for Arbour's team; if you think they're close, you vote for Arbour's Teepees.

thanks for mentioning this gbc.

i agree, the coaching mismatch between arbour and demers is huge! though demers is a decent coach, arbour (arguably #2 or #3 coach of all time) has a much, much more sparkling playoff resume.

arbour: 4 stanley cups, 5 trips to the cup final (4-1), 10 trips to the conference finals (5-5), 19 consecutive playoff series victories

demers: 1 stanley cups, 1 trip to the cup final (1-0), 4 trips to the conference finals (1-3)

arbour has shown a great ability in getting the most out of depth players and second-tier talent (i.e., goring, tonelli). so, there is no question he couldn't do the same with the teepees players (especially the much-lauded 4th line). arbour is has also shown an ability to coach with great balance - instilling a strong defensive system while allowing the star players to shine. with the teepees, arbour can strike up a nice balance defensively (keon, pulford, lowe, conacher, mummery, draper...) and offensively (coffey, svedberg, mosienko, sittler, naslund, schriner...).

additionally, arbour has shown great ability in coaching successfully, as either a favourite (1981-83) or as an underdog (1975, 1984) - so, depending on how you see the teepees (favourites or underdogs), arbour can rally the troops to rise to the occasion. he is also one of only two coaches to successfully coach his team back from an 0-3 deficit.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
additionally, arbour has shown great ability in coaching successfully, as either a favourite (1981-83) or as an underdog (1975, 1984)...

The Isles weren't an underdog in 1984, man. They were the four time defending champions and they got crushed by Edmonton in the finals. In 1975, the Isles weren't clear underdogs against either of the teams they beat (Rangers and Penguins), though they did do well to take the Flyers to 7 in the conference finals.

Radar was a great coach, but a great underdog coach...I dunno.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Quebec Nordiques
Coach : Jacques Demers

Dickie Moore - Joe Primeau - Dino Ciccarelli
Bernie Nicholls - Adam Oates - Mark Recchi
Johnny Gottselig - Bob Bourne - Gary Dornhoefer
Don Maloney - Bob Gracie - Ron Duguay
Dave Brown , Marty Walsh

Bobby Orr - Craig Ludwig
Nikolai Sologubov - Ted Green
Bucko McDonald - Normand Rocherfort
Tomas Jonnson

Chuck Gardiner
Alex Conell

PP#1
???

PP#2
???

PK#1
???

PK#2
???

The St. Catharines Teepees
Coach: Al Arbour
Captain: Dave Keon
Alternates: Kevin Lowe, Darryl Sittler, Kris Draper

#11 Sweeney Schriner - #27 Darryl Sittler (A) - #10 Bill Mosienko
#19 Markus Naslund - #14 Dave Keon (C) - #17 Mike Foligno
#20 Bob Pulford - #33 Kris Draper (A) - #41! Rene Robert
Gordon Roberts - Frank Fredrickson - Paul MacLean
Dan Bain, Clint Smith

#7 Paul Coffey - #4 Kevin Lowe (A)
#3 Lionel Conacher - #5 Lennart Svedberg
Harry Mummery - Bert Corbeau
Doug Bodger

#1 Terry Sawchuk
Riley Hern

Power play units:
PP1: Markus Naslund - Darryl Sittler - Bill Mosienko - Paul Coffey - Lennart Svedberg
PP2: Sweeney Schriner - Frank Fredrickson - Mike Foligno - Lionel Conacher - Rene Robert

Penalty killing units:
PK1: Bob Pulford - Dave Keon - Lionel Conacher - Kevin Lowe
PK2: Mike Foligno - Kris Draper - Harry Mummery - Bert Corbeau​

Two of my top 3 teams in the division, this is the hardest call of the 1st round for me, they both match up well with each other. The edges are very slight in all areas if there are any at all. I'll be reading the discussion closely, still have no clue who I'm going with.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
The Isles weren't an underdog in 1984, man. They were the four time defending champions and they got crushed by Edmonton in the finals. In 1975, the Isles weren't clear underdogs against either of the teams they beat (Rangers and Penguins), though they did do well to take the Flyers to 7 in the conference finals.

Radar was a great coach, but a great underdog coach...I dunno.

nice catch on the 1984 - meant to write 1993 but, for some reason, had a brain cramp. that said, i think radar is still a solid underdog coach.

1975 - the team was three years removed from expansion, and had a turnaround season after two straight years in the basement. from what i've read, they were not expected to beat either the rangers or the penguins - yet, they managed to beat the rangers in 3 and overcome a 0-3 deficit to upset the pittsburgh penguins. then, as you mentioned, they almost overcame another 0-3 deficit, losing in the 7th game to the eventual champions, the philadelphia flyers.

1993 - after missing the playoffs the previous two seasons, the isles made it back in 1993. they managed to beat the capitals (not much of an upset - other than losing their star turgeon to injury) and then had the pleasure of matching up against the two-time defensing champions - mario lemieux's pittsburgh penguins. without turgeon, no-one gave the isles a chance, and assumed they would easily be swept by the pens. yet, without their star player, and a line-up with less gamebreaking talent, the isles defeated the penguins in a series they were never expected to win one game. look at the two line-ups and tell me this wasn't a monstrous upset...

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
I think one key point in the series is how my forwards can exploit the defensive lapses of Coffey and Svedberg. Kevin Lowe is a solid defensive defenseman , who played on one of the best dynasties ever. The question is if he can contain a counter attack lead by Orr,Oates or Moore.

My third line is also capable of punishing mistakes made by your rushing defenseman. Gottselig was a 2nd team all star and had some top ten finishes in scoring on mostly awefull Blackhawk teams. Bourne was a strong scorer in the playoffs , producing at ppg pace during the dynasty years. Dornhoefer was also capable of scoring 30 goals.
The "Jeans Line" (thanks MXD and pit) has some nice offensive weapons too. Especially Duguay , who hit 40 and 38 on average teams , is a threat if Coffey or Svedberg go too far.

So I think my scoring depht is an advantage for the Nordiques considering that St.Catharine has 2 defensemen known for not being in their own end all the time.

(please excuse my english for now , I'm tired as hell from practicing for our school musical all day long.)

Last edited:

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
I think one key point in the series is how my forwards can exploit the defensive lapses of Coffey and Svedberg. Kevin Lowe is a solid defensive defenseman , who played on one of the best dynasties ever. The question is if he can contain a counter attack lead by Orr,Oates or Moore.

My third line is also capable of punishing mistakes made by your rushing defenseman. Gottselig was a 2nd team all star and had some top ten finishes in scoring on mostly awefull Blackhawk teams. Bourne was a strong scorer in the playoffs , producing at ppg pace during the dynasty years. Dornhoefer was also capable of scoring 30 goals.
The "Jeans Line" (thanks MXD and pit) has some nice offensive weapons too. Especially Duguay , who hit 40 and 38 on average teams , is a threat if Coffey or Svedberg go too far.

So I think my scoring depht is an advantage for the Nordiques considering that St.Catharine has 2 defensemen known for not being in their own end all the time.

(please excuse my english for now , I'm tired as hell from practicing for our school musical all day long.)

i feel as though coffey tends to be one of those "love'em or hate'em" players. personally, i don't feel that he is as bad defensively as folks make him out to be (though i am by no means indicating that i think coffey is a two-way, balanced defensman - we all know he was very offensively-minded). i feel that both his speed, and skating ability (as with svedberg) allow them the opportunity to return to the play should they get caught pinching in the offensive zone (i.e., coffey breaking up a two-on-one vs. the soviets). with arbour as coach, can he instill a strong work-ethic, defensive conscience in coffey and svedberg, while allowing them to play their creative game?

additionally, coffey and svedberg will always be paired with either lowe (6 :stanley:) or conacher (2 :stanley:), both of which provide a defensive / physical element to the pairing, with plenty of playoff experience. furthermore, the second and third forward lines (also the first if robert replaces mosienko) are sprinkled with great defensive forwards (keon, pulford, draper), and decent defensive forwards (foligno, robert). so, we feel that there will be enough of a defensive presence to counter any defensive lapses that coffey or svedberg may have. finally, sawchuk, one of the top goalies in the draft, provides stability between the pipes.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Why Quebec will win

- Who will stop Moore? Quebec has the best and most skilled forward in the series in Dickie Moore, while St. Catherines is lacking an elite defensive RW. Robert and MacLean weren't anything special defensively. Even if the Teepees play their second lines against Moore, I'm not convinced that a good (but unspectacular) defensive player in Foligno could contain a two-time Art Ross winner.

- Sawchuk behind an average defense. We all know that Coffey is average (at best) defensively and his Swedish clone, Svedberg, is also quite one-dimensional. Sawchuk had earned the vast majority his personal and team accolades (wins, shutouts, Stanley Cups, all-star selections, win%) playing being a tough, rugged group of shutdown defenders (Pronovost, Goldham, Reise and of course Kelly (though he wasn't especially tough)). As soon as Sawchuk was traded away from the dynasty Wings, his level of play plummeted. How well will Sawchuk do behind an average defense?

- Number four. I'm not exactly saying anything new here, but Bobby Orr is probably the most dominant player in hockey history. He can singlehandedly win a game or two each series. How does St. Catherines defend against him? If they play wide-open, Orr will beat Coffey at his own game, but if they slow things down, the Teepees lose their ability to use their great speed and skill.

Why St. Catherines will win

- Coaching. Demers is a solid coach, but he's going against perhaps the second greatest coach ever. Arbour isn't just a great coach because he won a bunch of Stanley Cups (though that, of course, adds to his legacy). It was his ability to consistently get the most out of role players (ie Bourne, Tonelli, Persson, etc), and his ability to scout and develop talent, that gives him a big advantage. Another Arbour hallmark, the ability to implement a defensive system while giving his offensive stars the ability to use their skill, should be a huge help for a team that has quite a few one-dimensional players.

- Lack of consistency. Quebec is relying on a lot of players with very short peaks (Moore, Primeau, Nicholls). It's tough to evaluate Gardiner (he's probably not going to die of a brain hemorrhage in this series) but he also had a very short peak. Orr's injury problems are well-known. In contrast, St. Catherines has a roster full of (reasonably) stable, consistent performers. If Orr gets injured, or the Moore from outside his five-year prime shows up, it will be tough to win.

- Second defense pair. Sologubov gets the edge on Svedberg (similar talent/offense but the former is vastly superior defensively). However, Lionel Conacher (Canadian athlete of the half-century; two-time Hart finalist; three times in the top ten in assists) is vastly superior than Green, a solid but unspectacular secondary player.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
st. catharines team strategies

1. neutralize the quebec top-line: similar to alot of other gm's, i have a great respect for the nordiques top-line, even more now that oates has replaced primeau. jungosi put together a very balanced, offensively gifted top-line. as such, the teepees will need respect their abilities. there are a few ways we can see this occuring...

first, we'll play our top-line against their top-line. in terms of skating ability and overall speed, i believe st. catharines has a definite advantage. can the nordiques top-line skate with the teepees? is this mis-match enough to swing the advantage in favour of st.catharines?

second, we'll match our second-line against the nords top-line. keon provides significant defensive / two-way presence, alongside the hardworking, gritty and defensively capable mike foligno. conacher / svedberg or, coffey / lowe provide a nicely balanced backend, with one skater capable of igniting the breakout / transition game, and one skater providing a strong defensive presence (with a strong playoff resume).
it is hoped that this strategy would provide an advantage to our first-line when matched against quebec's second-line, which doesn't have the gritty presence of dino.

2. goaltending: as i mentioned earlier, gardiner's peak was great but, sawchuk was the more consistent and stable playoff performer. sawchuk brings 4 cups, 2 retro conn smythes, and 15 years of playoff experience. on the other hand, gardiner brings 1 cup, and 4 years of playoff experience. if it comes down to goaltending, the teepees are confident in the advantage they have.

3. late game management - st.catharines leads: if the teepees are leading the game, the nordiques will see alot of pulford - keon - draper, and a rotation of defensive pairings conacher - lowe, mummery - corbeau. i believe this formation can easily neutralize quebec's late-game offence. between them, pulford - keon - draper have 11 :stanley:, one conn smythe, one retro conn smythe (for what it's worth). adding the defence adds 9 :stanley: and one retro conn smythe.

4. late game management - quebec leads: if quebec is leading, st. catharines will bring the speed game out in full-force, rolling a line of schriner - sittler - mosienko - coffey - svedberg (this would certainly be late-game desperation and, increases the likelihood of a defensive lapse). does quebec have the defensive horses to counter this attack?

this series will surely be a battle.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
great input hockey outsider...

Why Quebec will win

- Who will stop Moore? Quebec has the best and most skilled forward in the series in Dickie Moore, while St. Catherines is lacking an elite defensive RW. Robert and MacLean weren't anything special defensively. Even if the Teepees play their second lines against Moore, I'm not convinced that a good (but unspectacular) defensive player in Foligno could contain a two-time Art Ross winner.

agreed - foligno and robert certainly are not enough to stop dickie moore (though foligno will be hammering him at every opportunity). it is hoped that both keon and draper will assist in neutralizing moore (alongside the teepees defensive defenceman). additionally, draper could be used as a rightwing, providing a much stronger defensive shadow for moore (should he be used that way).

this brings up a question for quebec - how do they stop sweeney schriner?
dickie moore has two art ross trophies, finishing 8th twice more.
sweeney schriner has two art ross trophies, finishing 2nd, 7th, 8th, and 10th.
which defensive players will quebec use to neutralize schriner and, to a lesser extent, mosienko?

- Sawchuk behind an average defense. We all know that Coffey is average (at best) defensively and his Swedish clone, Svedberg, is also quite one-dimensional. Sawchuk had earned the vast majority his personal and team accolades (wins, shutouts, Stanley Cups, all-star selections, win%) playing being a tough, rugged group of shutdown defenders (Pronovost, Goldham, Reise and of course Kelly (though he wasn't especially tough)). As soon as Sawchuk was traded away from the dynasty Wings, his level of play plummeted. How well will Sawchuk do behind an average defense?

sawchuk still has a solid defensive presence in front of him. agreed that coffey and svedberg can't really be counted on defensively but, lowe, conacher, corbeau, and mummery are all strong defensively. additionally, they all provide a strong physical presence that will be hammering the quebec forwards all series.

- Number four. I'm not exactly saying anything new here, but Bobby Orr is probably the most dominant player in hockey history. He can singlehandedly win a game or two each series. How does St. Catherines defend against him? If they play wide-open, Orr will beat Coffey at his own game, but if they slow things down, the Teepees lose their ability to use their great speed and skill.

this will certainly be the question asked of every opposing team. how to stop bobby orr? as i mentioned in our team strategies, we hope that our defensive forwards, and defensive defenceman can help slow him down. will it be enough?

Why St. Catherines will win

- Coaching. Demers is a solid coach, but he's going against perhaps the second greatest coach ever. Arbour isn't just a great coach because he won a bunch of Stanley Cups (though that, of course, adds to his legacy). It was his ability to consistently get the most out of role players (ie Bourne, Tonelli, Persson, etc), and his ability to scout and develop talent, that gives him a big advantage. Another Arbour hallmark, the ability to implement a defensive system while giving his offensive stars the ability to use their skill, should be a huge help for a team that has quite a few one-dimensional players.

- Lack of consistency. Quebec is relying on a lot of players with very short peaks (Moore, Primeau, Nicholls). It's tough to evaluate Gardiner (he's probably not going to die of a brain hemorrhage in this series) but he also had a very short peak. Orr's injury problems are well-known. In contrast, St. Catherines has a roster full of (reasonably) stable, consistent performers. If Orr gets injured, or the Moore from outside his five-year prime shows up, it will be tough to win.

- Second defense pair. Sologubov gets the edge on Svedberg (similar talent/offense but the former is vastly superior defensively). However, Lionel Conacher (Canadian athlete of the half-century; two-time Hart finalist; three times in the top ten in assists) is vastly superior than Green, a solid but unspectacular secondary player.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
since today is voting day, just wanted to wish my opposing gm good luck.

jungo - you built an excellent squad :thumbu: ...it's too bad one of us will be sent packing this round.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Game 1: Le Colisee, Quebec

In game day interviews, both coaches, Jacques Demers and Al Arbour, were certainly careful not to give off too much of an aura of swagger, but at the same time were firm in their confidence. "No one is the favourite here", remarked Demers today. "Whoever wants it more is going to win. I expect it to be us. We have to get to that goalie of theirs - he's their best player.", he added, referring to Sawchuk. Arbour, for his part, was not giving anything either. "They're a great team, but so are we. Are they any better than us? They finished a couple of points ahead but then we dealt with some injuries. If we contain Orr and stay healthy, we will win this series", he quipped today.

The top units started the game. The first shift was a rather cautious one. Orr had a couple of opportunities to rush the puck but played it safe instead. Sawchuk juggled a couple of pucks on shots by Joe Primeau and Mark Recchi, but after 20 minutes, the game was scoreless. No team wanted to be the first to allow a goal.

On the second shift of the second period, big Harry Mummery, who had been spotted eating a steak just an hour before game time, flattened Dino Ciccarelli with a big bodycheck. Recchi did not go to the dressing room, but stayed on the bench until the 18:00 mark. It was on the second-last shift of the period, when Recchi picked up a Bobby Orr pass at center ice, got around Lionel Conacher, appeared to be intent on wrapping right around the net, but instead fed the puck through Sawchuk, who had followed Recchi too far, to a wide open Adam Oates and an easy goal. 1-0 Quebec after 2.

During the third period, Bob Bourne's unit got a lot more time in order to successfully shut down Darryl Sittler's line. While they did an admirable job, including the majority of a double minor penalty kill thanks to an accidental Buck McDonald high stick, this left St. Catherines' capable second line, anchored by Keon, with more space. With about six minutes left in the second period, Mike Foligno dug up the puck in the Quebec corner, quickly throwing it in front of the net, where Mike Keon was able to tap in his own rebound before being pounded by Craig Ludwig. More boring hockey followed as both teams appeared to be just trying to survive to the buzzer.

OT was played much like the first period - very cautiously. Bobby Orr at times appeared as though he had the will to end the game, but thanks to a couple of timely poke checks by Dave Keon and Bob Pulford, was not able to get into a dangerous position. 14 minutes into OT, Dickie Moore was sent in on a partial breakaway only to be stoned by Sawchuk, while being hauled down by Bert Corbeau. The fans tried to make the call on that play, but were unsuccessful. Two plays later, St. Catherines' Robers-Frederickson-MacLean line was out to create whatever energy they could, and managed to cyle the puck deep in the Quebec zone for 30 seconds before working it to the slot, where MacLean fired a shot that rebounded off of Gardiner's left pad. Frederickson slid home the rebound past a prone Gardiner, who appeared to have been interfered with by Gordon Roberts. However, the goal stood and St. Catherines took the first game, 2-1. Quebec fans littered Le Colisee's ice with various debris including croissants and poutine to display their displeasure. "We are not happy with the result, but we expect to come back here in two nights and get the right result", Demers commented, visibly disturbed but choosing to take the high road.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad