Atd#8 MINOR LEAGUE DRAFT

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I have three of the "drafted a bit too early" crowd - Sydor, White, and Nash. Basically I have just my mathematical share. I can't comb the list that quickly, but here is something to look at yourselves, and I'm curious to know the answer. Who has the most of these? Does anyone have none of them at all?
I've been reading up on the ATD and MLDs dating back to 2003. It looked like a lot of fun. I wish I knew about this place pre-2005. I've had a lot of fun with this so far but I've gotta say this weekend has changed everything. I have reached a new level of enlightenment, respect for the history of the game, desire to be an even better participant, and desire to win this thing. I'm surrounding myself with more and more literature, websites, and spreadsheets of past results to aid me the next time around. So look out!

I read a lot of the post-draft chats too. A certain user appeared to really be taking the fun out of it for a lot of you with his arguments of bias and cliques, and drafted his team based solely on career point totals. It's good to see he has matured somewhat, and his knowledge has improved too. I know I stated my case as best as I could when I took my first round lumps in my first ATD, and argued my best, but I hope no one saw that and thought I was the second coming.

Let's all submit our rankings and get on with the playoffs!

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
I have three of the "drafted a bit too early" crowd - Sydor, White, and Nash. Basically I have just my mathematical share. I can't comb the list that quickly, but here is something to look at yourselves, and I'm curious to know the answer. Who has the most of these? Does anyone have none of them at all?

It's just VanI's opinion. Obviously he has a big emphasis on career when rating and just about every single currently active player taken made his "taken early" list (which didn't?). Personally I think Nash was a good pick considering what he is and how few 6'4 scoring wingers are available. Sydor is also a very good pick, a #2 defenseman on a Stanley Cup winning team and a top 4 on another (can't remember if Hatcher-Ludwig or Sydor-Zubov was the top pairing in Dallas). Look at the D taken immediately after him: Jeff Brown, Randy Gregg, Wade Redden. I don't think it's a stretch to say he belongs with those players. I'd agree with VanI that there were better options than White though.

I managed to score Koivu and Boyle on that list.
I've been reading up on the ATD and MLDs dating back to 2003. It looked like a lot of fun. I wish I knew about this place pre-2005. I've had a lot of fun with this so far but I've gotta say this weekend has changed everything. I have reached a new level of enlightenment, respect for the history of the game, desire to be an even better participant, and desire to win this thing. I'm surrounding myself with more and more literature, websites, and spreadsheets of past results to aid me the next time around. So look out!

Those first couple drafts were great, back when BM67 had THN top-100 edition and the rest of us were stuck with just the top-50. Looking back there are so many steals and awful picks.

I read a lot of the post-draft chats too. A certain user appeared to really be taking the fun out of it for a lot of you with his arguments of bias and cliques, and drafted his team based solely on career point totals. It's good to see he has matured somewhat, and his knowledge has improved too. I know I stated my case as best as I could when I took my first round lumps in my first ATD, and argued my best, but I hope no one saw that and thought I was the second coming.

It's only natural to think your team is the best :D

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
It's just VanI's opinion. Obviously he has a big emphasis on career when rating and just about every single currently active player taken made his "taken early" list (which didn't?). Personally I think Nash was a good pick considering what he is and how few 6'4 scoring wingers are available. Sydor is also a very good pick, a #2 defenseman on a Stanley Cup winning team and a top 4 on another (can't remember if Hatcher-Ludwig or Sydor-Zubov was the top pairing in Dallas). Look at the D taken immediately after him: Jeff Brown, Randy Gregg, Wade Redden. I don't think it's a stretch to say he belongs with those players. I'd agree with VanI that there were better options than White though.

I managed to score Koivu and Boyle on that list.

Those first couple drafts were great, back when BM67 had THN top-100 edition and the rest of us were stuck with just the top-50. Looking back there are so many steals and awful picks.

It's only natural to think your team is the best :D
I don't think Sydor went too soon at all. He was a No. 7 d-man in ATD 7 (on a team that went to the quarter-final, no less). Is he good enough for an ATD spot? I don't think so. But he's good enough to be a top-pairing guy in the minor league draft.

Won Cups in 1999 and 2004. Went to the final in 1993 (when he was excellent) and 2000. For this level, he's excellent for a puck-mover and a PP quarterback. And, as he showed in last year's playoffs, when he was really effective against the Sedins, he can play against the opposition's best forwards.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Hey gang

My apologies for my no show.

Life got insane with big work issues and a death in the family and I lost track of this. Sorry to my Co-GM I hope you havn't minded doing this on your own.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
Hey gang

My apologies for my no show.

Life got insane with big work issues and a death in the family and I lost track of this. Sorry to my Co-GM I hope you havn't minded doing this on your own.

no need for apologies on my end...
as one of my colleagues always says "life happens" (these things are much more important to take care of)

drafting this team has been a blast, and i've definitely gained an incredible amount of new knowledge regarding hockey history.
it's time for us to take the leafs to the title!

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Oh, and I don't see Nedved as a defensive player. Am I alone here?
Well now that hes older and plays on lower lines, his defensive abilities have taken a bit of a tail spin. Though factor in the team he was on, Philadelphia. But early on in his career, besides his rookie year, he has played very solid positional hockey. Not really a great defensive player as much as a responsible one. Which is what we wanted for that first line.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Well now that hes older and plays on lower lines, his defensive abilities have taken a bit of a tail spin. Though factor in the team he was on, Philadelphia. But early on in his career, besides his rookie year, he has played very solid positional hockey. Not really a great defensive player as much as a responsible one. Which is what we wanted for that first line.
I watched him play 10 games live per year early in his career in Vancouver, and he was a non-factor defensively. In fact, I was never impressed with his defensive abilities at all.

He is what he is: a big forward who can play centre or wing, and he has the potential to contribute offensively in a big way. One of the best wrist shots in the draft. A strong trigger-man for Janney. But if you're expecting him to be the defensive conscience for Janney and Bertuzzi, you're out of luck.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I don't think Sydor went too soon at all. He was a No. 7 d-man in ATD 7 (on a team that went to the quarter-final, no less). Is he good enough for an ATD spot? I don't think so. But he's good enough to be a top-pairing guy in the minor league draft.

Won Cups in 1999 and 2004. Went to the final in 1993 (when he was excellent) and 2000. For this level, he's excellent for a puck-mover and a PP quarterback. And, as he showed in last year's playoffs, when he was really effective against the Sedins, he can play against the opposition's best forwards.
I think Sydor makes more sense as an ATD7 than as a MLD1. He's one of the best generic defensemen of my lifetime -- not especially good or bad at anything -- which makes him an ideal fill-in. He's responsible enough to be a penalty killer, he's skilled enough to fill in as a PP point man ... good but not great skater, tough but not a big hitter. When I think, "jack of all trades," Sydor is one of the first guys I think of.

Spit ... our '99 playoff pairings flexed a lot because of Hatcher's suspension and Chambers's injury ... but I'm 80% sure the "ideal pairings" were Hatcher/Zubov, Matvichuk/Sydor and Ludwig/Chambers. Ludwig/Hatcher did do a lot of penalty killing, but they were too slow and plodding even for the pre-lockout NHL. Regardless ... Sydor was valuable, but he wasn't a top-pairing guy.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I watched him play 10 games live per year early in his career in Vancouver, and he was a non-factor defensively. In fact, I was never impressed with his defensive abilities at all.

He is what he is: a big forward who can play centre or wing, and he has the potential to contribute offensively in a big way. One of the best wrist shots in the draft. A strong trigger-man for Janney. But if you're expecting him to be the defensive conscience for Janney and Bertuzzi, you're out of luck.
Really hmm? Whatever doesnt matter. This team was drafted poorly as it is thanks to the horrible rearching by me!:thumbu:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I was a huge Nedved fan BEFORE he came over and was jacked and present in Vancouver when he began his NHL career (even watched him in the WHL) and he wasn't a backchecker but his skating skill and determination led him all over the ice, sometimes joining the fray. Years later I was impressed by his backchecking when he was a Ranger. I'd say he has some defensive ability but in an all-time context it's negligible.

As for Sydor, he was my fav defenseman when he was a Blazer in my hometown of Kamloops. A star! We were very happy when he stuck in the NHL but by no means was he a star in the NHL. He has a good first pass, smart positional play and a decent second offensive defenseman, 2nd PP unit and #3/#4 blueliner on a 32-team NHL club. There are SEVERAL defensemen more talented and more accomplished than he, look forward to at least two or three of them in the upcoming AAA Draft. :naughty:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Hmmm...a few thoughts:

- I'm shocked at how low Louis Berlinquette went. Nalyd and I were looking at him as a viable defensive 4th liner in the main draft.

- Same goes for Alex Smith of the old-time Senators. According to the sources I came across, Smith was a very good, steady player for a long time for those dynasty teams. You didn't make it on that roster for as long as Boots did unless you had serious talent.

- The talent pool of Euros hasn't been dipped into as deeply as I had expected for the minor-league draft. A few of the GMs seemed to have done a lot of homework on the more obscure Europeans, but there are still many guys who were ignored who I consider better than most of the North Americans taken in the bottom half of this draft. Interesting. Well, one problem that pops up with doing research on the less well-known Euros is that translation of websites often becomes necessary, and that is a messy business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad