ATD 2023 Draft Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I've got a theory that there are only two true Mary Sue protagonists in the ATD: Doug Harvey, and Jean Beliveau, with Beliveau being by far the better citizen (the true hallmark of a tiresome Mary Sue).

It's actually a bit frustrating researching Jean Beliveau...a little like with Nighbor. People's descriptions of icons of that status frequently drift quickly into an indecipherable mass of hyperbole and hagiography, with occasional hints of a dark envy thrown in for flavor.

People say Mr. Beast is the anti-Christ, and I almost catch a whiff of that vibe with Beliveau. And then I watch him in the playoffs. I watch him cross-check Allen Stanley in the face wearing a grim expression, and I watch him take a run at Tim Horton (and miss...lol). And I realize that Beliveau wasn't a fake Mary Sue, but a true one. A specimen you'd draw up in the lab in a video game while creating a center and name it Shooter McShootface, or some shit.

edit: I should include Gordie on the list of Mary Sues, as well.

Have you read the 1970 book Strength Down Centre: The Jean Beliveau Story? I picked up a copy recently and read it. It’s by Hugh Hood, a Montreal university professor and novelist. Not a hockey writer, but one of the fans who hung around in the Montreal taverns near the arena and talked hockey.

The chapters about Beliveau’s biography were pretty straightforward, ground that’s been covered elsewhere. I enjoyed Hood’s extended interviews with Beliveau where we get Jean’s perspective. But then there are extended sequences where Hood muses about all the ways in which Beliveau is the greatest player, and maybe the greatest person, ever. He asks the age old question “Which player would you take to start your hockey team” and while he admits Gordie Howe will be most people’s first reaction, he argues “Come on…are you sure you wouldn’t want Beliveau? He’s basically the perfect centre.” Hood also goes out for a skate with Beliveau and rhapsodizes about Beliveau’s incredible skating stride, hard passes, and all around physicality. The whole effect seemed a bit much for one grown man writing about another.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
The chapters about Beliveau’s biography were pretty straightforward, ground that’s been covered elsewhere. I enjoyed Hood’s extended interviews with Beliveau where we get Jean’s perspective.
I have not read that one yet, but yeah...that sorta captures the gist of a lot of the literature on Beliveau. He's often treated with something almost resembling the indignant reverence of a confederate general. It kinda sucks, but fortunately, we still have film.

Jean was such an aw-shucks guy about his own accomplishments that I find his perspectives fascinating vis-a-vis the league, and almost completely hollow concerning himself. On brand for the man, but still makes him a bit of a chimera.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
A short while ago, GIMLI's ATDPA Rep (All-Time Draft Player Association Representative) asked for a meeting with the co-GMs. He requested that he bring in ONE other individual- so as to make it a two-on-two meeting. At least one of the co-GMs has been a member of two labor unions- and is also the son of a Teamster- so we judged that the Player Representative's request was reasonable.

The other individual he brought with him was our Franchise Defenseman. We discussed the future leadership of the team. We had a productive meeting- and emerged with a unified vision upon the conclusion of the conversation.

As a result of that get-together, the GIMLI WHISKY THIEVES hereby hire their head-coach:

Tommy Ivan.

He'll refrain from stifling the creativity of our defensemen, while committing to a sound overall defensive structure... which sounds like just the thing we'd want here on the shores of Lake Winnipeg.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Mary Sue? You mean, fan fiction by adolescents about effeminate characters idealized as having no flaws?

That describes the object of Crosby fans affection, their brains set to 'injuries OFF'.

• Haha
Reactions: Sturminator

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Mary Sue? You mean, fan fiction by adolescents about effeminate characters idealized as having no flaws?

That describes the object of Crosby fans affection, their brains set to 'injuries OFF'.
Yes.

My point is that there is often something overly precious about the way Jean Beliveau is portrayed in print that belies the fierce competitor he was.

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1676082835142.png

“What he brought to us was composure with the puck. He had such great patience, such great vision that made everyone who played on the ice with him a lot better player.”
—- Former Dallas Stars head coach Ken Hitchcock

Sergei Zubov, D @Dr Pepper @tinyzombies @Stanky Marmalade pms sent

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
“What he brought to us was composure with the puck. He had such great patience, such great vision that made everyone who played on the ice with him a lot better player.”
—- Former Dallas Stars head coach Ken Hitchcock

Sergei Zubov, D @Dr Pepper @tinyzombies @Stanky Marmalade pms sent

Great candidate for "player who always used to go too high finally getting drafting where he should be."

I never thought I'd see the draft where Zubov went about where he should (there are still defensemen left I'd rank better overall, but as a right handed PP ace who was halfway decent in his own zone, Zubov has a pretty rare and valuable skillset).

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Jere Lehtinen

Reunited with Mike Modano on our third line.

lehtinen.jpg

lehtinen_la250.jpg

"Jere Lehtinen has really become the Finnish version of Bob Gainey", Kevin Allen USA Today

Career Highlights:

Stanley Cup Champion, 1999.
Stanley Cup Finalist, 2000.
Frank J. Selke Trophy Winner (1998, 1999, 2003)
Named to NHL All Star Game 1998.

Vitals:
Born: June 24, 1973
Position: LW/RW
Height: 6-0
Weight: 194
Shoots: Right

Regular Season:

A three time recipient of the Selke trophy for best defensive forward, Lehtinen was a smart, quick, and surprisingly two-way player. He often played with Modano and Hull on the Stars front line.

Lehtinen lead the Dallas Stars team in goalscoring twice in his career, including the 2002-2003 campaign in which he won one of his Selke awards.

Overall, he racked up 7 seasons of 20 or more goals including those two 30 goal campaigns.

Career Regular Season Stats:
GP|G|A|Pts|+/-|PIM|EV|PP|SH|GW
875|243|271|514|176|210|157|77|9|37

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Lest the run on coaches pass us by and we miss a man who is perfect for my team, the Portland Stags select Dick Irvin, Coach.

From @overpass bio

Irvin took two struggling franchises and made them not only contenders but flagship franchises as well. He was rebuilding a third struggling franchise when his career and life were cut short suddenly. He was the most innovative hockey coach of his time—indeed, a coach way ahead of his time—using systemic approaches to the game that put most other hockey coaches to shame. He was the greatest coach of offensive hockey of his era; and he introduced hockey fans to some of the greatest players that ever stepped on the ice.​
It was Irvin who established the traits that defined the Habs for decades to come: speed; depth; superb two-way skills for his forwards; aggressive checking from his defensemen; and superb goal-tending in the nets.​

Bert Olmstead:​
Many of them told me that Lach, Bouchard, Richard, Durnan, Blake, and ********* all said they'd never have been the hockey players they turned out to be if it wasn't for Dick Irvin. And I can say the same thing. Even today, when I go back and I'm day-dreaming while doing a job or have some sort of problem, I can always relate to Dick.​
People ask me who was the best coach and of course I have to say Toe Blake, because we won all those Stanley Cups with him. But in the next breath I say that it's only because he was taught by your dad.​

Also, I think Toe Blake might have copped his hat game from Dick, Senior.

1676087285634.png

1676087346043.png

Pming @Leaf Lander but if some could cover all bases via Facebook, please and thanks.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
11:55 on the east coast and the less transplanted than I, LL, is up. Might have to wait until tomorrow (which is fine) but we shall see.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Imo Lehtinen is the greatest defensive winger since Gainey (some Finns actually say Kurri is).

I recall yapping in a sports bar back pre-Internet mobile that he will not win (his 1st Selke) but that he should! I gave several reasons then choked on my beer when he won.

He is a neutralizer in the NHL but against all-time competition he'd be a 30+% discounter.

Certainly a great 3rd liner at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad