ATD 2023 Draft Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
The Peterborough Petes are proud to select, from Drummondville, Québec, winner of three Stanley Cup as a coach, the Silver Fox, Lester Patrick.

1676038226302.png

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Random though experiment on a sleepy friday morning.

If Lester Patrick counted as both a skater and a coach how much higher would he go?

Both a 3/4D and a top 5 coach in one pick

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
In no way is Lester a #3 at 19 teams, mon frere.

I didn't include the caveat of "depending on draft size" mon ami

A 3D at 19 teams would mean he was a top 57 D all time. I think there's an argument for it, how willing people are to buy it is a different discussion.

Heck, he's the 58th "true" defeneseman on the HOH top 200 list, depending on your personal valuation you could see him as a low-end 3, high end 4.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
For the record...

"Mon ami" is more like saying "hey buddy", insincere and cliche unless couched in a phrase about a good friend equivalent to "my best bud".... not at all romantic boyfriend/girlfriend stuff.

My French teacher from Quebec made this clear to us in high school back in 1986. Of course, maybe it has changed...?

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
A coach and a goalie, you're takin care of business. BTO

1676063419652.png

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
C'est incroyable!

The Icebreakers run in their card for one of the quickest players ever, the 10-time Stanley Cup champion Conn Smythe right winger known as "The Road Runner".

*beep, beep*
C'est trés bon.

I've been watching some old Habs games and Cournoyer really stands out. Much better checker in the neutral zone than I'd thought, for starters. Almost played like a Russian.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I've got a theory that there are only two true Mary Sue protagonists in the ATD: Doug Harvey, and Jean Beliveau, with Beliveau being by far the better citizen (the true hallmark of a tiresome Mary Sue).

It's actually a bit frustrating researching Jean Beliveau...a little like with Nighbor. People's descriptions of icons of that status frequently drift quickly into an indecipherable mass of hyperbole and hagiography, with occasional hints of a dark envy thrown in for flavor.

People say Mr. Beast is the anti-Christ, and I almost catch a whiff of that vibe with Beliveau. And then I watch him in the playoffs. I watch him cross-check Allen Stanley in the face wearing a grim expression, and I watch him take a run at Tim Horton (and miss...lol). And I realize that Beliveau wasn't a fake Mary Sue, but a true one. A specimen you'd draw up in the lab in a video game while creating a center and name it Shooter McShootface, or some shit.

edit: I should include Gordie on the list of Mary Sues, as well.

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I've got a theory that there are only two true Mary Sue protagonists in the ATD: Doug Harvey, and Jean Beliveau, with Beliveau being by far the better citizen (the true hallmark of a tiresome Mary Sue).

It's actually a bit frustrating researching Jean Beliveau...a little like with Nighbor. People's descriptions of icons of that status frequently drift quickly into an indecipherable mass of hyperbole and hagiography, with occasional hints of a dark envy thrown in for flavor.

People say Mr. Beast is the anti-Christ, and I almost catch a whiff of that vibe with Beliveau. And then I watch him in the playoffs. I watch him cross-check Allen Stanley in the face wearing a grim expression, and I watch him take a run at Tim Horton (and miss...lol). And I realize that Beliveau wasn't a fake Mary Sue, but a true one. A specimen you'd draw up in the lab in a video game while creating a center and name it Shooter McShootface, or some shit.

edit: I should include Gordie on the list of Mary Sues, as well.
I kept picturing Nick Cage in Peggy Sue Got Married and read your post in his character’s voice.

Attachments

• 7FF3D99F-202D-4F88-AC7D-F815C1154210.png
    7FF3D99F-202D-4F88-AC7D-F815C1154210.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad