ATD 2021 Sign-Up Thread (Draft Order Determined)

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
In ATD 2020 the only input I got was that the top picks (in particular the top 4) are the interesting ones, but if anyone prefers a later pick then of course he or she would have to support the other option: priority to select your own draft position.

The original point of "picking our draft picks" wasn't really to get a better pick... it was to get a more interesting pick, or to pick somewhere the GM hadn't picked before.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I posted this is the poll for trades, but wanted to make it visible in the main thread here.

I can handle all the commish duties during the draft and post draft portions. I'll handle putting up the draft threads and keeping it updated throughout the day/night. Also I'll post all postseason match ups and send reminders to the GM's. Basically what I did last year.

It appears allowing trades is a landslide in favor for. We need to get a poll up asking if we should cap the # of trades at 3, 5 or N/A.

I'd also recommend having each GM manage 1 team ONLY to streamline the draft and make it significantly different than the 40 picks per round version last year. With trades, we'll have more delays and I think there are too many moving parts trying to watch over a 2 team per GM draft.

Just my .02

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The original point of "picking our draft picks" wasn't really to get a better pick... it was to get a more interesting pick, or to pick somewhere the GM hadn't picked before.

I'm aware of that. I was only pointing out the replacement reward we came up with in 2020 when the two-teams option made priority selections impossible. Sorry for being unclear.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
So TDMM could finally be in the top 5-10 instead of the the purgatory that is the middle of the draft

Ha, that would be my top choice, as I've never picked there before. I'd rather the end of the draft than the middle though. Only because I've been in the middle for the last few drafts.

Believe it or not, I've picked in the top 4 twice (my first two drafts - 1st overall and 4th overall), so I wouldn't prioritize doing so again.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I posted this is the poll for trades, but wanted to make it visible in the main thread here.

I can handle all the commish duties during the draft and post draft portions. I'll handle putting up the draft threads and keeping it updated throughout the day/night. Also I'll post all postseason match ups and send reminders to the GM's. Basically what I did last year.

It appears allowing trades is a landslide in favor for. We need to get a poll up asking if we should cap the # of trades at 3, 5 or N/A.

I'd also recommend having each GM manage 1 team ONLY to streamline the draft and make it significantly different than the 40 picks per round version last year. With trades, we'll have more delays and I think there are too many moving parts trying to watch over a 2 team per GM draft.

Just my .02

What was the trade cap the last time we did trades? For some reason, I feel we capped it at 7 trades, but I could be remembering wrong.

IMO, we should have a cap on trades, but it should be a high number. Having a high cap on trades only prohibits what I would call abusive, or at least annoying trading behavior.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
What was the trade cap the last time we did trades? For some reason, I feel we capped it at 7 trades, but I could be remembering wrong.

IMO, we should have a cap on trades, but it should be a high number. Having a high cap on trades only prohibits what I would call abusive, or at least annoying trading behavior.

IIRC it was 7. I'm fine with that or 5. I definitely think 3 is a bit too restrictive.

What do people think of a new poll asking to cap trades at 5, 7 or unlimited?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
5 seems like a good number to me. I mean, does anyone really need to trade their picks 7 times? I know it’s a nice option to have to build the team we want, but someone making 7 trades just seems excessive to me. At least, IMO.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

I think it was 7 too.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Ha, that would be my top choice, as I've never picked there before. I'd rather the end of the draft than the middle though. Only because I've been in the middle for the last few drafts.

Believe it or not, I've picked in the top 4 twice (my first two drafts - 1st overall and 4th overall), so I wouldn't prioritize doing so again.

I was very lucky in my lottery history, getting a Top 3 pick four times out of 10 drafts !

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
3 additional mini-rules related to trades that we have regularly used in the past:

a) Trades are limited to a maximum of 4 assets exchanged per side.

IMO, this is the most important of these mini-rules. Trades with more assets exchanged hold up the draft, as they are more difficult to evaluate, and more time-consuming to add to the OP. And they are quite unnecessary.

b) If a trade is vetoed, a GM is assessed a 1 hour clock penalty for each vetoed trade.

This stops GMs from wasting everyone's time by continually making lopsided trades until finally one isn't vetoed. Note that this rule has rarely ever actually been enforced (which is a good thing).

c) If a GM who has maxed out on trades tries to make a trade, he is assessed a 1 hour clock penalty.

Hopefully, we don't ever have to enforce this one...

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Adding one more...

Full pick swaps do NOT count as a trade.

IMO full pick swaps should be allowed as long as both teams involved have not made their first pick yet, but if I remember correctly, in the past some have felt they should only be allowed before the draft begins (meaning before the clock officially starts).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Adding one more...

IMO full pick swaps should be allowed as long as both teams involved have not made their first pick yet, but if I remember correctly, in the past some have felt they should only be allowed before the draft begins (meaning before the clock officially starts).

Oh yes, definitely.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Adding one more...

I would agree with those saying a full pick swap should be done BEFORE the draft clock starts.

We should probably have a 48-72 hour window from the time the draft order is announced to when the draft officially begins. That should give more than enough time for everyone to consider full pick swaps.

The only thing that could complicate that is sometimes the draft will begin a few days before the actual official draft clock starts. We may have to force a scenario where the 1st overall pick holder can’t officially get things under way until that window is over.

But then again I guess an easier solution would be to just allow the swaps until both teams in question make their first pick, as you mentioned.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I know this isn’t what you’re saying , but it reminds me of the year where we allowed pre-draft trades only...what a disaster

That sounds like a terrible idea, haha. I mean, if we’re going to allow trading it seems to completely defeat the purpose if you don’t allow them during the actual draft itself. How can anyone know they want to move up in the 10th round BEFORE the draft even starts?

Were there actual trades beyond the full pick swaps?

Reactions: Leaf Lander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad