ATD 2021 Sign-Up Thread (Draft Order Determined)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I’m glad to hear that, if that’s the case then. I could have sworn I remember that exact scenario I described above happening a few years ago, but it is entirely possible that I got mixed up and am mistaken of course.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's easier to just allow trading on the clock. Those loop holes just create extra work and confusion. Most people seem to respect the "don't be a dick" etiquette. Not to mention, what's the difference between someone who is really into trading and keeps using big chunks of clock time to try and shop trades and someone who has a busy personal life and uses up a lot of their clock to do personal activities?

Meaning, why is prioritizing personal activities ok, but prioritizing trade negotiations not ok? Doesn't make sense to me.

In both cases, GM's should simply try to be courteous to their fellow GM's.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It's easier to just allow trading on the clock. Those loop holes just create extra work and confusion. Most people seem to respect the "don't be a dick" etiquette. Not to mention, what's the difference between someone who is really into trading and keeps using big chunks of clock time to try and shop trades and someone who has a busy personal life and uses up a lot of their clock to do personal activities?

Meaning, why is prioritizing personal activities ok, but prioritizing trade negotiations not ok? Doesn't make sense to me.

In both cases, GM's should simply try to be courteous to their fellow GM's.

Exactly, thank you! LESS IS MORE.

No need to write it in the rulebook. Just shame the one who is obviously abusing his freedom when and if it happens, then move on.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Well, after thinking it over for a couple weeks, I'll go ahead and commit- I'm in this year.

What are people thinking for-
Start Date?
Sign-ups (this thread or separate)?
Rules Polls (I see discussion about 1-team-per-GM vs. 2-per, trades/no trades, and on-the-clock trading)?
Playoff Format (though maybe we wait until we have an idea concerning the amount of teams)?

Reactions: Hawkey Town 18

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I really did enjoy the two-team format. Drafting and piecing together lineups are the most enjoyable aspects of this thing, so getting to do it twice was really fun. But with that being said I’d also welcome switching it up every year. It won’t feel “special” if we do it every year.

I think many of us would welcome an alternating schedule for that kind of thing. Just to keep it fresh. I’m not sure what everyone else thinks but I wouldn’t mind having an option to GM two clubs every other year.

We could always put it to a definitive poll for this year, but it seems like there is already quite a bit of support for going back to the one club format. But I think something like this should be decided as a group. Majority rules?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Well, after thinking it over for a couple weeks, I'll go ahead and commit- I'm in this year.

What are people thinking for-
Start Date?
Sign-ups (this thread or separate)?
Rules Polls (I see discussion about 1-team-per-GM vs. 2-per, trades/no trades, and on-the-clock trading)?
Playoff Format (though maybe we wait until we have an idea concerning the amount of teams)?

It's too soon to officially start any of these four threads. Obviously we can still discuss them here.

If the draft starts between Jan 15th and Feb 1st, we'll be more able to get the room temperature between Jan 1st and Jan 15th, when more GMs are gonna be around.

It looks like 1 team + trading is what the core group wants right now, but we'll see.

The #1 priority is to get as many GMs as we can, which is not a given.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
We should at least finalize what we're going to vote on.

I assume trades will happen this year but we should still hold a vote as well as whether or not to cap the # of trades at say 3, 5 or unlimited, etc.

Beyond trading and whether we allow 2 teams per GM I don't think we're eyeing any other changes, are we?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
We should at least finalize what we're going to vote on.

I assume trades will happen this year but we should still hold a vote as well as whether or not to cap the # of trades at say 3, 5 or unlimited, etc.

Beyond trading and whether we allow 2 teams per GM I don't think we're eyeing any other changes, are we?

- Trading or not
- Trade # limit or not
- Playoff format

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'm obviously in, but for a myriad of reasons I can't run it. I can update the OP and keep things up to date that way.

The rule set doesn't particularly matter to me personally.

I agree we need to firm up a list of options for draft rules soonish to get polls rolling, and then get recruiting.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I'm obviously in, but for a myriad of reasons I can't run it. I can update the OP and keep things up to date that way.

I agree we need to firm up a list of options for draft rules soonish to get polls rolling, and then get recruiting.

@ImporterExporter did a really nice job running things in second half of the draft last year. He’d be my candidate for “commish” if he wanted it this year. But really, we should all make the big decisions as a group anyways, IMO.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

I think the first poll is trade or no trade. If we get trades, then rules for trades.

maybe a poll for multiple teams as well.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
No sooner than January 7th (the end of the first week of the new year) should a poll end. Guys go on holiday vacay (er,... check that: in a virus-scary winter maybe not).

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Was there any talk of rewarding GMs who voted in every round in the 2020 ATD?

I feel like there was, but nothing concrete is coming to mind... and I am feeling too lazy to check right now. I know the usual reward discussed is some form of draft position selection, but I don't think it has ever been finalized.

Personally, I don't know if I like that as a reward- I feel like it disenfranchises newcomers or people who sat out the last edition. Instead, what if the reward was something like extended clocks or an extra trade or two (since it looks like trades will be in this year)? Something that is a benefit but doesn't take anything away from others.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I feel like there was, but nothing concrete is coming to mind... and I am feeling too lazy to check right now. I know the usual reward discussed is some form of draft position selection, but I don't think it has ever been finalized.

For reference:

From the 2019 ATD:

Can you reveal who the voters were? Because there's gonna be a reward for GMs who vote next year.

From the 2020 ATD:

Rewarding GMs who vote every round?

This year, we were supposed to reward GMs who voted every round last year by giving them priority to pick their own draft position.

But we didn't do it, because it seemed incompatible with 2 teams per GM.

Any objections to doing this again for next year (if we go back to 1 team per GM or maybe letting GMs pick the draft spots for 1 of their 2 teams if we stay at 2)?

The second post got one like and no other replies, for whatever that's worth.

Instead of draft pick selection, another reward was given in 2020: GMs who had earned the reward were given a second ball in the lottery for the top 10 picks.

Reactions: rmartin65

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL

Personally, I don't know if I like that as a reward- I feel like it disenfranchises newcomers or people who sat out the last edition. Instead, what if the reward was something like extended clocks or an extra trade or two (since it looks like trades will be in this year)? Something that is a benefit but doesn't take anything away from others.

This is a good point, maybe if there is a reward those GMs can be included too. I guess it's more of a punishment to people who didn't vote then?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
What if we'd prefer a pick later on in the draft?

In ATD 2020 the only input I got was that the top picks (in particular the top 4) are the interesting ones, but if anyone prefers a later pick then of course he or she would have to support the other option: priority to select your own draft position.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Addition to the reference material:

We did this for the 2013 voting...the GM's who voted in every round were rewarded by being allowed to choose their draft position in 2014, except for the top 5 spots. For the top 5 spots we had a lottery that any GM who was interested could participate in. After the lottery the rewarded GM's picked their spots (believe there was 8 of us), and then after that the remaining GM's submitted lists of their top 5 choices for draft position and those were assigned accordingly. Some GM's did not want to pick their spot, so those were randomly assigned at the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad