ATD 2020 Draft Thread V

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
If one thing is for sure, the 2-team per GM format (or at least option) seems to be a winner..right? If it were up to me this would be the new yearly format. Would be hard going back to “just” building 1 team for the main ATD, IMO. I’m sure others may disagree.

Also, I wonder if there would be interest in doing an MLD after the completion of the playoffs? Maybe break off for a month or so and then start up an MLD if the interest was there.

Reactions: VanIslander

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
I've finally gotten around to finish special teams stats for 1940-41.

Two most surprising things: Nick Metz led the league in PPP while Lynn Patrick led the league in SHP. You'd probably think it would be vice versa based on their reputation.

Bill Cowley, and the Kraut line are ES monsters.

Attachments

• PP DC.xlsx
    31 KB · Views: 5

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I've finally gotten around to finish special teams stats for 1940-41.

Two most surprising things: Nick Metz led the league in PPP while Lynn Patrick led the league in SHP. You'd probably think it would be vice versa based on their reputation.

Bill Cowley, and the Kraut line are ES monsters.

This is great, but why and how are you taking the time to compile this when it's on nhl.com?

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Sorry to hear that bud. Hopefully it's short term and we'll be on the other side of this craziness soon.

Sorry to hear that, hope you'll be OK.

That sucks man. I know the feeling though, both my wife and I have been laid off for a little over 3 weeks now and who knows how long this will last. And with a 16 month old son to feed, a mortgage and bills to pay and loads of groceries to buy with both of us (hopefully just temporarily) out of work it has been a pretty stressful time to say the least. Thankfully I’m receiving EI benefits but that’s only so much and only good for so long.

Scary times and an uncertain future. I’m thankful to have this ATD as a hobby. It’s a nice little daily escape from the current reality.

Thanks guys, and sorry to hear about you’re situation HF18. Life is f***ed right now. I thank god for hobbies like this right now as well.

Reactions: Namba 17

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
This is great, but why and how are you taking the time to compile this when it's on nhl.com?

Two or three years ago, @overpass was trying to compile special teams data by looking at the newly released NHL.com numbers. But, the 1948-49 season raised some suspicion because the Bruins had an abnormally low number of PPG scored. And then it turned out that suspicious looking numbers were common preceding 1948-49. So, it was determined NHL.com numbers before 1950-51 were inaccurate. That's why when I released the ES VsX benchmarks for the first time, they only went up to 1949-50.

As for my methodology, from my post when I first posted my 1939-40 data.

I just finished 1939-40 special teams data. It took me around 30-40 hours, though it should be faster going forward as I've worked out a process. I reconstructed the numbers using primary sources (aka newspapers of the time) and cross-checked it with the NHL.com boxscores. I'm damn confident that my data is significantly more accurate than the NHL.

Of course, I can't guarantee 100% accuracy (I'm confident in over 97% accuracy). Though, in this case any error is due in part to some games having pretty terrible recaps from the papers that you simply can't conclude anything (I'd say less than 10 games where I was unsure). I made many safeguards to guard against any errors from my part (if you're interested I can tell you in more detail).

The papers I used, ranked from highest quality of game reports to lowest quality, were Daily Boston Globe, New York Times, Chicago Daily Tribune, New York Herald, Globe and Mail, Detroit Free Press, Toronto Daily Star, La Presse, Le Devoir, and Montreal Gazette.

The data is on an Excel sheet. Along with special teams stats, I've also included the ES VsX benchmark and some of the top ES scorers from that year. Time to move on to 1940-41.

I have to say though that the Toronto Daily Star, La Presse, and Le Devoir are useless. The Montreal Gazette was ranked last in 1939-40 because there were a bunch of papers missing on Google Archives, but when the papers are available (as was the case for 1940-41), their game reports are decent.

Reactions: seventieslord

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Johnny Gaudreau - LW

giphy.gif

27 $PPG/82 (73% PP%)

Byng - 1, 4, 9
Hart - 4
AS - 3, 3 (5 AS games)
Top 10 PTS and A - 2 seasons
ES goals - 8
GWG - 5
Top 10 PPG - 2 seasons

445 pts in 465 games.

Hockey Reference Similarity Scores thru first 6 years:
Recchi, Turgeon, Hossa.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Two or three years ago, @overpass was trying to compile special teams data by looking at the newly released NHL.com numbers. But, the 1948-49 season raised some suspicion because the Bruins had an abnormally low number of PPG scored. And then it turned out that suspicious looking numbers were common preceding 1948-49. So, it was determined NHL.com numbers before 1950-51 were inaccurate. That's why when I released the ES VsX benchmarks for the first time, they only went up to 1949-50.

As for my methodology, from my post when I first posted my 1939-40 data.

I have to say though that the Toronto Daily Star, La Presse, and Le Devoir are useless. The Montreal Gazette was ranked last in 1939-40 because there were a bunch of papers missing on Google Archives, but when the papers are available (as was the case for 1940-41), their game reports are decent.

Did you check these against NHL.com? I did, and they're remarkably similar.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Salt Lake selects a player that is generally regarded as one of the top blueliners in Europe during the early to mid 1960’s D, Frantisek Tikal

tikal2.jpg

An inductee of the IIHF HOF, Tikal was twice named the top defenseman at the World Championships, in 1964 and again the following year in 1965. This is especially impressive considering that his career overlapped with the Soviet defensemen who played in the ‘72 Summit Series.

He played in the CSSR top league from 1952-1968 and for the National Team from 1957-1967.

International Hockey Legends said:
Frantisek was a stalwart defenseman for the Czechs in a career that spanned 17 years. He was especially dominant in the early 1960s, helping Czechoslovakia capture the bronze medal in 1964. He was a regular player on the national team from 1957 through 1966. He was even named the best defenseman at both the 1964 and 1965 World Championships, and was inducted into the IIHF Hall of Fame in 2004. Father David Bauer, the legendary Canadian national team coach of the 1960s, considered Tikal the best defensman in Europe in the 1960s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad