ATD 2020 Draft Thread V

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
In 1981 in elementary school we used to throw hockey cards to knock down a card against a wall. This was HUGE for many boys when i was in my last couple of years of elementary (never saw it ever again when i went to junior high).

Boys would LAUGH like crazy when some kid tried to stand up a Ron Stackhouse. No one would waste a card on him because we didn't respect his defensive play. In fact, our own hockey coaches would use him to profile what NOT to do.

Flash forward to 2003 when i was in FHL fantasy simulation leagues. Ratings went up to a best of 99 and Stackhouse's DEF (defensive) score was 40-59 in every FHL league i was in.

I have no personal experience watching him because he played for such a lame franchise that took 20+ years to win its division (thanks to Mario much later than Stackhouse). I have zero memories of the Pens before Mario because the franchise stunk. So, please, please don't tell me it's a stat pick based on ice time or goals for or against on special teams.

We did this also. Same thing- last couple years elementary then it disappeared. We did it with rookie Gretzky’s.

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
We did this also. Same thing- last couple years elementary then it disappeared. We did it with rookie Gretzky’s.

A buddy of mine said he had a few Gretzky rookie cards when he was a kid in the early 80’s. All of them were used in bicycle spokes. :help:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
A buddy of mine said he had a few Gretzky rookie cards when he was a kid in the early 80’s. All of them were used in bicycle spokes. :help:

Everyone from back then says that though lol. I'm pretty sure I had one and lost it in a flick game though. I know I had several if Memory serves right. I was pretty good at that flick game. I did spokes once, but I didn't get too involved with that.

We sound like grown ups in the 80s sounded like when talking about their 50s childhoods.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Another blind pick since I'm already skipped, and I put a lot of stock on what he accomplished in the playoffs: Niklas Hjalmarsson, D.

Lack of Norris record irrelevant to me at this point. Hjalmarsson has been consistently underrated throughout his career and played a major part on the Chicago dynasty. It was Keith, Seabrook and him racking up all the big minutes on three cup winners (+ a fourth deep run). Seems like a guy Bowman would like as his 6th defenseman.

Last edited:
Reactions: Namba 17

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Another blind pick since I'm already skipped, and I put a lot of stock on what he accomplished in the playoffs: Niklas Hjalmarsson, D.

Lack of Norris record irrelevant to me at this point. Hjalmarsson has been consistently underrated throughout his career and played a major part on the Chicago dynasty. It was Keith, Seabrook and him racking up all the big minutes on three cup winners (+ a fourth deep run). Seems like a guy Bowman would like as his 6th defenseman.

He also plays the right side and was top PK unit for each of those 4 runs you mentioned.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

I looked at him. His advanced stats are solid- even in Phoenix.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
He also plays the right side and was top PK unit for each of those 4 runs you mentioned.
It's a strong blind pick @BenchBrawl

I considered him when I took Girardi.

Thanks !

I mean, virtually every reasonably good dynasty players got taken now, so why not Hjalmarsson? That was my thinking. He was clearly the #2 or #3 D on those Chicago teams, far ahead of whoever was #4. His contributions to his dynasty is just as good as many other dynasty players already drafted, if not better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad