ATD 2020 Draft Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
BB listpicks Alex Kovalev

Thank you for making my pick.

Though Kovalev looks very anti-Hap Day like, in reality he counterintuitively strived under other authoritarian coaches. I'll probably play him with Mark Messier, with whom he had decent chemistry in New York.

Much, much better on the PP than at ES but whatever. Kovalev is talented enough to keep up with Schriner and Messier as a 3rd wheel. On the PP he's a force along the right board (can also play the point but here he won't).

Also, Kovalev is NOT soft and he's not that bad defensively. Also a pretty good playoff performer throughout his career.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
The Portland Penguins begin their second defensive pairing with a guy who was a physical presence on the ice with a bit of an offensive upside and a right handed shot to boot. The Penguins select Ted Green, D.

Bruins-defenseman-Ted-Green-1.jpg

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Mike Ramsey - LD
6'3", 195 lbs.
5152wF8ByjL.jpg

Awards and Achievements:
Olympic Gold Medalist (1980)

Norris voting - 7th(1990)
All-Star voting - 6th(1984), 8th(1990), 13th(1987), 14th(1985) 16th(1983)

1984 Coaches' Poll
2nd Best Defensive Defenseman

1990 Players' Poll
1st Best Defensive Defenseman

Played in the NHL All-Star Game four times (1982, 1983, 1985, and 1986) as well as being a member of the NHL All-Star team that played the Soviet national hockey team in Rendez-Vous '87.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Probably going to have to take a good chunk of my clock here. Have a meeting in 30 minutes and I don't think I'll have a decision by then.

Reactions: VanIslander

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Edit - Alright my bad. This has been hard to keep track of and I didn't notice he's taken.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Alright - I think I'm going to round out my top 4 with a guy that I think will mesh well with Boucher, considering his experience playing with Kelly and a few others. And if I need a hard matchup situation, I can line him with Ching Johnson and make a mean as f*** pairing that will be incredibly tough to play against (and will probably play with him on the PK).

Two time 2nd team all-star.

Richmond Robins select:

Leo Reise Jr., D

He went earlier this round to the SLC Golden Eagles.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Baltimore will add some sandpaper and protection for McDavid and Cournoyer on that 2nd line by selecting a power forward who we think will be a great fit..LW, Vic Hadfield. A 2nd-team All-Star and former Rangers captain, he became the first Ranger to score 50 goals in a season. His #11 is in the rafters at MSG.

Legends of Hockey said:
Not many players start out with reputations as enforcers and end up with equal billing for their goal scoring and puck handling abilities.

Retro Rangers said:
If anyone bothers Ratelle or Gilbert, beat the (bleep) out of them, XXX told Hadfield.

Not only did Vic protect his linemates but surprisingly picked up his offensive production as well. Because of his aggressive reputation, he was given a little more room to maneuver by opponents who may not have wanted to be greeted by an elbow or a stick. Hadfield also worked on his skating and possessed a quick, accurate slap shot that was aided by the new curved stick blade that was introduced to him by his friend Bobby Hull.

DmQ7zTRVsAAGfSS.jpg

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Still at the office finishing up things. Should be out of here in 20-30 minutes and then 20 minutes home. Will try and get a pick in by 7 PM EST. May be a touch later but not long.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Top notch tough guy with... Other skills. It's tough to know just how good he was at those other skills, but they are definitely there... To some extent. Such is the way with 2nd tier early era players...

I'm really hoping to be able to find the time to do so good research on him. Just a few more quotes on his "other skills", as you put them, could really help get a better picture of what he was. We know he was huge, he has some good All-Star voting (granted, split league era/not in the best of the leagues), has some good scoring finishes, and is on the record as having excellent skating abilities. There are quotes in the bio praising his backchecking and forechecking as well, so I think he is a solid fit as a 3rd wheel in the top 6.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
He should pair nicely with a rock steady stay at home Schoenfeld and fit a Tarasov style system. His international record is solid despite him losing his life in a car accident at just 28 years old. Really strong offensive talent, will be a nice #4 here and asset on the PP.

Lennart Svedberg, D

Lennart-Svedberg.jpg

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
A 1960's Swede in a top-4 role?

A question mark. But then again, every team can handle one or two of them.

What's the difference between the best players from 1960's Europe and 1890's-1900's North American hockey?

Pioneers are pioneers IMO. If we're going to say Mike Grant (player who was drafted a long time ago) who's career ended in 1902 is capable of a top 4 role than why shouldn't euro stars from the earlier years be afforded the same possibility?

There is no way you'd convince me 1895 North American hockey was more developed and had stronger players than say 1966 Sweden/international tournaments, etc.

But that may just be me.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I have never in my many years at this ever drafted Grant for a top-4 role.

I am a huge supporter of early Stanley Cup challenge era hockey and mid-60's Soviet hockey, but I do not deny the existence of a question mark.

(But every team can handle at least one or two injury-prone or competition-challenged or playoff-inexperienced player.)

That said, playing well against the very best of your era, time and again and again, defines -without question- top-6 forwards, top-4 d's, starting g, in an all-time great context.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I have never in my many years at this ever drafted Grant for a top-4 role.

I am a huge supporter of early Stanley Cup challenge era hockey and mid-60's Soviet hockey, but I do not deny the existence of a question mark.

(But every team can handle at least one or two injury-prone or competition-challenged or playoff-inexperienced player.)

That said, playing well against the very best of your era, time and again and again, defines -without question- top-6 forwards, top-4 d's, starting g, in an all-time great context.

I think one of the biggest problems I see so far is some people are still basing roster placement as if we're in a 20 something to 30 team draft.

Look at the rosters. Gone are the days where you can have a 4 time AS on a 2nd pairing (unless you drafted D super heavy) or put together 2 dominant scoring lines relative to the rest of the league. Just aren't enough players with 40 teams.

What I have enjoyed most about this draft is that teams more closely resemble real life rosters. Look at the wingers on the top lines. Many would be laughed at in years past. Same thing with a number of teams top C's. Toews has long been a 3rd line staple in the ATD and here he's a #1 C.

Basically a #4 D just has to be a top 160 D of all time to be considered passable.

The 37th best RW in the draft could technically be a 1st liner here.

This has been a lot of fun in all reality.

Reactions: Namba 17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad