ATD 2020 Draft Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
All star game appearances are soooo MLD.

I can't believe anyone takes a mere appearance in an all star game as significant. A half-decent player on a bad team gets an invite. Olli Jokinen went to the all-star game but he was by no means great.

He wasn't talking about modern all star games. In a six team league, wasn't it NHL GMs who picked the all stars of the 5 non-Cup winners to face the previous year's Cup winner in the All-Star Game? I'm not sure that's all that much less impressive than being voted a postseason all-star by the media, especially at what became a pretty weak left wing position after expansion.

I agree that the modern All-Star Game with its "each of the 30ish teams needs at least one rep" rule is meaningless.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
All-star game selections by merit certainly give us insight as to how players were viewed relative to others in the league at the time. Modern day all-star game selections are laughably irrelevant and should be discredited immediately.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
In season AS games are next to worthless IMO. I thought that was a universal concept?

Postseason AS nods/finishes are far more telling no?

Not at all. In the 06 era especially, I think being named to the all-star game is meaningful.

In the last 30 years, where the NHL would rather represent each team rather than just select the best players, yeah it's a lot less meaningful.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Not at all. In the 06 era especially, I think being named to the all-star game is meaningful.

In the last 30 years, where the NHL would rather represent each team rather than just select the best players, yeah it's a lot less meaningful.

Yes, but the 4th best LW in a 6 team league isn't exactly the same as 4th best LW in a 30 team version.

That's why I really don't give much credence to those in season AS nods (past or present). Let's see how the writers voted after the season when we have an ENTIRE season to judge. And even then there will be some context and disagreements.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I laugh at 12th, 15th, 18th in scoring stats trotted out for 06 era players.

3rd most productive player on abteam on average? Maybe if you are drafting for your ATD 4th line, to show SECONDARY scoring!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad