ATD 2011 Draft Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Guess I'll take a three time 100 point scorer centre who has experience in both the powerplay and the penalty kill (top-10 in SH goals 3 times). Gordie Howe, his teammate for a while, said "He could do it all." Centre Mike Rogers

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Tidewater selects G Paddy Moran

Legends of Hockey
Moran made his big-league debut with the Quebec Bulldogs of the Eastern Canada Amateur Hockey Association in 1905-06 and stayed with a Quebec-based team for all but one year of his career. He led the National Hockey Association in games won with ten in the 1911-12 season and followed up with a league leading 16 wins in 1912-13. The Bulldogs won the Stanley Cup in both of those seasons and Moran was picked to play for the NHA All-Stars in a 1912 exhibition series.

His Quebec teams, however, tended to lose more games than they won early on and Moran would attempt to keep the puck out of the net in any way possible. Moran played in the days prior to a goal crease being painted in front of the net and guarded his area like a stray dog with a bone. His quick stick was used for more than just deflecting shots and opposition players soon developed a healthy respect for Paddy's self-created "crease." He was a clutch goalie and in the big games was hard to beat.

Moran was particularly proud of the fact that he built his house entirely from his hockey earnings at a cost of about $4,000. He was honoured with induction to the Quebec Hockey Hall of Fame and was a faithful follower of the Quebec Aces Hockey Club in his later years.

Paddy Moran was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1958.

Wikipedia article sourced from "Without Fear: Hockey's 50 greatest goaltenders" and "Hockey's Most Wanted: The Top 10 Book of Wicked Slapshots, Bruising Goons, and Ice Oddities":
Moran was especially noted for his aggressive defense of the area in front of his net. He used his stick to slash opposing players within reach. Moran often chewed tobacco while on the ice, and another favorite tactic of his was to expectorate at opposing players. Moran's stick work was described as attempts to "slash [other players'] heads off with lightning strokes of his blade". Moran often wore oversized sweaters, claiming that they kept him warm in the cold arenas; however, he kept it unbuttoned, and often used to catch shots.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I posted bios for Rick Ley, Michal Handzus, and Jaroslav Pitner.

The bios on Ley and Handzus are standard fare, but the Pitner one is interesting if you want a moderately detailed look at the left wing lock.

Last edited:

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Regarding the next thread, anyone want me to do it? I'll have to make it fairly soon as I'm off in about 30 minutes. Or does someone else want to make it?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The Tidewater Sharks are pleased to select LW Fred Scanlan.

I almost missed this.

If anyone remembers the article from 1932 that I posted way back when listing the "most outstanding" player ever, Scanlan was the mysterious player X was who listed along with Dan Bain as the old timers who had an outside case. (Tommy Phillips, Frank McGee, etc were not considered old timers yet apparently).

Needless to say, I was really surprised. Historical canon considers Harry Trihey the star of the old Shamrocks, and he was inducted into the HHOF in one of the first waves 1950, while Scanlan was inducted in the large 1965 catch up class.

One source, of course, isn't enough to consider Scanlan better than Trihey. Regardless, I think he has a more traditional 4th liner skillset, and is probably one of the elite 4th liners in this draft.

I would have drafted him myself, except he didn't really fit my team plans.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
One source, of course, isn't enough to consider Scanlan better than Trihey. Regardless, I think he has a more traditional 4th liner skillset, and is probably one of the elite 4th liners in this draft.

Wasn't Scanlan listed in Lester Patrick's all-time team?

From memory:
Tom Phillips - Cyclone Tayloer - Fred Scalan
Hod Stuart - Sprague Cleghorn
Hugh Lehman

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The Pittsburgh Bankers select D Jack Campbell

Nice pick as a bottom pairing/spare type. I'd love to find out more about him as the earliest eras of hockey are definitely my weakest, but that said he's by all reports legitimately one of (if not the) earliest star players of the sport.

We considered him with our last pick but went for the more known quantity in Phillips.

hungryhungryhippy

Feb 7, 2010
The Vancouver Maroons select right winger Chico Maki

OPC7071Maki149.jpg

Originally posted by Legends of Hockey:
In his first year with the Teepees, Maki played a checking role, with his main objective to stop the oppositions top forwards. By his second year, Maki received more offensive responsibilities and it showed in his offensive numbers. Playing alongside the likes of Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita didn't hurt either. In 1958-59, Maki was one of the team leaders and contributed 41 goals and 94 points in 54 games.

Despite the fact Maki had improved his all-around game, he was essentially ignored by the NHL, and specifically the Chicago Blackhawks, were already rich in talent at the forward positions. With limited options of where he could play, he decided to return to the Teepees for a fourth season in 1959-60 which turned out to be the best move he could have selected. Once again Maki was one of the team's offensive leaders and was an instrumental force in helping St. Catharines to win the Memorial Cup championship that spring. Other notables on that powerhouse Teepees team included; Vic Hadfield, Ray Cullen, Bill Ives and Roger Crozier in goal.

It was thanks to Maki's strong play with the Teepees in 1960 that led to his earning a full-time roster spot with the AHLs Buffalo Bisons. By the fall of 1962, Maki had earned himself a place with the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks, where he remained for duration of his 13-year NHL career. Maki's best season from an offensive point of view was in 1970-71 when he tallied 22 goals and 48 points. Maki and the Blackhawks twice advanced to the Stanley Cup finals, coming up on the losing end both times to the Montreal Canadiens in 1971 and 1973.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Wait , how does spares work exactly if we have to draft assitant coach? I wasn't even aware.We have 3 spares and 2 assistant coaches?

Is it 1 goalie , 1 forward , 1 D and 2 assistant coaches?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
You can draft whoever you want as spares. Just have all skater positions covered in case of injury. You also dont have to draft an assistant coach.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Wait , how does spares work exactly if we have to draft assitant coach? I wasn't even aware.We have 3 spares and 2 assistant coaches?

Is it 1 goalie , 1 forward , 1 D and 2 assistant coaches?

You can draft 4 assistat coaches if you want. You can draft 4 extra goalies if you want. There are no restrictions on the spares.

You probably should have at least one spare forward and one spare defenseman though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad