ATD 2011 Draft Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
I suppose it's only fitting the Toronto St. Pats select this goaltender. He place 3rd in hart voting twice (both times tops amongst goalies), and earned a first team all-star goaltender berth despite placing the majority of his career pre-all star teams. He won a stanley cup backstopping the Pats in his rookie year. We select goaltender John Ross Roach

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
To be honest I'm not quite sure how both of these Russian gentleman are still on the board, waiting to be taken.

The Millionares select backup G Nikolai Khabibulin and their 1st spare will be C Alexei Yashin.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I suppose it's only fitting the Toronto St. Pats select this goaltender. He place 3rd in hart voting twice (both times tops amongst goalies), and earned a first team all-star goaltender berth despite placing the majority of his career pre-all star teams. He won a stanley cup backstopping the Pats in his rookie year. We select goaltender John Ross Roach

Only goalie to beat out Charlie Gardiner for a first team All Star, though he only did it once. One of the top backups around, IMO. He would have been my choice with the last pick if I didn't need to finish my 4th line.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
To be honest I'm not quite sure how both of these Russian gentleman are still on the board, waiting to be taken.

The Millionares select backup G Nikolai Khabibulin and their 1st spare will be C Alexei Yashin.

Well, Yashin at least has character and one-dimensional issues that people naturally don't want on their fourth line, and a number of people wouldn't want as spares. As far as value on an all-time list at least, however, he's a good pick.

Only goalie to beat out Charlie Gardiner for a first team All Star, though he only did it once. One of the top backups around, IMO. He would have been my choice with the last pick if I didn't need to finish my 4th line.

Thanks.

My next pick coming soon.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
I made a joke last night to arrbez that it would be fun to draft Yashin to get some reactions and to see how he'd coexist with Pat Burns. However we felt one mercurial European (Nilsson) is good enough for Burns.

I defintiely don't think Yashin is out of place here though.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

LF covered Yashin - he's basically a scoring line or bust player. Guys like that drop farther than their "all time" ranking would have them. I don't know why you're surprised Khabibulin is around - he's ok as a backup I guess, but not a steal by any stretch.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
LF covered Yashin - he's basically a scoring line or bust player. Guys like that drop farther than their "all time" ranking would have them. I don't know why you're surprised Khabibulin is around - he's ok as a backup I guess, but not a steal by any stretch.

You can't tell me guys like Potvin, Hern, Peeters, Kolzig etc. are better options.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

..And if Yashin gets any playing time on my team it's because Lindros or Morenz went down, and nothing else.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Handzus was a very good pick, I wanted him with my next pick. Well done TDMM.

Thanks guys (you and overpass). I honestly thought I'd have to defend the pick, given he never goes this high, so this is a pleasant surprise.

I had Ron Sutter in the MLD last time and Handzus in the AAA draft, both as my 3rd line centers. And I honestly couldn't tell you which one is better on the ice. Sutter has the leadership thing (he was my captain in the MLD), but that's the biggest difference as far as I can tell.

I needed a fourth line center with size who could penalty kill, so the options were limited.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Thanks guys (you and overpass). I honestly thought I'd have to defend the pick, given he never goes this high, so this is a pleasant surprise.

I had Ron Sutter in the MLD last time and Handzus in the AAA draft, both as my 3rd line centers. And I honestly couldn't tell you which one is better on the ice. Sutter has the leadership thing (he was my captain in the MLD), but that's the biggest difference as far as I can tell.

I needed a fourth line center with size who could penalty kill, so the options were limited.

Handzus is just massive, any guy of his stature and skillset belongs at around here. The guy isn't even a terrible skater, and just patrols the ice so well. Definitely a guy who could spend time on both special teams (probably just PK from an ATD perspective, but could be a good fill-in on the PP)

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Hern and Kolzig are definitely better. Potvin probably isn't. Not sure about Peeters.

I think Peeters is a better goalie than Khabibulin, he had some awfully mediocre seasons in Phoenix/Winnipeg (in his fairness, he had not entered his peak) and he had a pretty good squad in front of him during the Cup run. His highest win total in a season is 32. Wasn't a top-5 in any goaltending category in the regular season prior to the Lightning's championship, or many other years. I had Khabibulin last year, and I thought he was a good pick. But when it comes to the ATD, he's pretty unspectacular, I did take him fairly early last time. Over some more-deserving goaltenders.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Going to have to disagree there can't say Kolzig id definitely better with fewer career wins and the championship count is Bulin 1 Kolzig 0.

You're really going to have to do more to show Khabibulin better than using a team award and a fairly meaningless in an ATD statistic of career wins, which is also largely team based.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
You can't tell me guys like Potvin, Hern, Peeters, Kolzig etc. are better options.

Hern and Kolzig are definitely better. Potvin probably isn't. Not sure about Peeters.

Agree. Also Peeters is better. Vezina and Hart runner-up.

Although...... Potvin has an excellent sv% record, better than Khabibulin's. And he at least has a season where he had somewhat significant Vezina recognition... Khabi doesn't.

Is it just the cup? I'm trying to imagine him without the cup and if I'd like him better than Potvin. hmmmmm......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad