ATD #10 Rene Lecavalier Final - Montreal Canadiens (1) vs. Le Rocket de Montreal (3)

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
An epic final to an epic series

"The most exiting game I have seen in my life." - Random fan the day after.

Suprising for the most this game was really clean but clean should not be mistaken with soft. Neither team gave up an inch of ice and were fighting for every puck. Forechecked and backchecked relentlessly , knowing that a single moment of inattention could cost his team the series. Zdeno Chara was especially terrifying in the corners , destroying Joe Primeau and Tod Sloan with hard but clean hits. Out of the few scoring chances that occured in the first period Bernie Geoffrion's 40 feet slapshot was probably the best. With some space the Montreal-native blasted a shot at Hasek's net who could only prevent a goal by giving up a huge rebound. Vasiliev managed to clear the puck a moment before Morenz went in and kept the game tied.
Early in the second period Vasiliev got his team on the board when he went sneaking into the slot a got the puck after a great corner play by Smith. Stunned by this le Rocket did not recover until the third period. With nothing to lost they threw everything at Hasek's net but it appeared that their effort would be in vain. 10 seconds before the end ..... I can't describe it , play-by-play announcer has better words here than me ...

... now by Primeau , drills it into the corners and goes after it , back to get it Davydov .... and he gets it out , played along by Westfall and it's gotten back by the Rocket , 10 seconds left , a pass up front ... THEY SCORE! The Rocket has tied it up! Rick MacLeish somehow stuffed it in!

With this goal overtime was a sure thing and the first period went relatively uneventfull. But early in the second period a harmless looking play would end the series. We'll swith again to Mr. Rene Lecavalier :

Canadiens changing , Vasko plays it cross-ice into the far corner , Marcotte swoops in to intercept , Marcotte behind the net , sweeps it in front ... HE SCORES!!!!! MARCOTTE , MARCOTTE , MARCOTTE! Donald Marcotte and the Canadiens have one more to go OH BABY!

Canadiens win the game 2-1 and take the series 4-3

Boxscore
1st period
scoreless
2nd period
9:31 - Valeri Vasiliev 1 (Smith,Trottier)
3rd period
19:52 - Rick MacLeish 2 (unassisted)
1st overtime
scoreless
2nd overtime
4:42 - Don Marcotte 2 (unassisted)

Congratulation to Hockey Outsider ! Good luck in the conference finals!

Also congratulations to God Bless Canada & raleh. A great, great team you two have build. Both teams would have been an absolutely deserving winner.

3 Stars of the series :

1) Dominik Hasek
2) Howie Morenz
3) Doug Glimour

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Congrats, HO. I thought I had you this time. I'll be honest that I thought this was the real ATD final. If we could beat the Habs (and I thought we would), we would win the whole thing. But we had to beat the Habs first. We didn't.

Now I get to concentrate on enjoying my Christmas holidays.

Good luck to the Habs the rest of the way.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
This is the second time we've lost to the habs in OT of game 7!

Congrats HO.

Thanks for the write ups Jungosi, and GBC, it's always a pleasure. I learn more from working with you than I could in any book.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Congrats, HO. I thought I had you this time. I'll be honest that I thought this was the real ATD final. If we could beat the Habs (and I thought we would), we would win the whole thing.

You said the same thing after HO eliminated you in ATD8, and it was just as silly then. All the remaining teams still have a long way to go.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for a great series GBC and raleh. Threads like these are what make the ATDs great - there's lots of debate and analysis but we always keep it respectful.

I'm not surprised that this went to OT in game seven. This has arguably been the closest series in what is surely the closest, most evenly-matched ATD to date.

Thanks to Jungosi for the fun (and speedy) write-ups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad