Speculation: At what hypothetical point does Lindy get fired?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
It's a business. Pegula can't be that far up Ruff's ass that he lets this carry on for an entire season... right?
Why would Pegula care about the business side?
He can just drill another gas well instead and continue to pay his idols.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm pretty sure he went on record saying that he will never fire Lindy. It has to come from up top for it to happen.

He said something to that effect. But my goodness...it's so obvious at this point. I was most certainly one of the last men left standing on Ruph's bandwagon... but it is so blatant now that he has been shut off and tuned out by the squad.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
If we lose another 7, 8 straight games there is no way he isn't fired. What is it 1 win out of the last 8? Combine that with 7 or 8 straight losses and hes gone.

Seanothan

Jan 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Our next 6 games;

Montreal
NY Islanders
Boston
Ottawa
Boston
Pittsburgh

It's entirely possible we drop all 6, and have 1 win in our last 14.

I can see that being a scenario where we see a coaching change.. Although I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see one either :banghead:

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Our next 6 games;

Montreal
NY Islanders
Boston
Ottawa
Boston
Pittsburgh

It's entirely possible we drop all 6, and have 1 win in our last 14.

I can see that being a scenario where we see a coaching change.. Although I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see one either :banghead:

You forgot Vanek averages 2 PPG against Boston in his career. Let the stat padding begin!! :laugh:

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
If we're really lucky, maybe Lindy will get sick of coaching and step down at some point in the next decade :help:.

**** this organization.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If the Sabres miss the playoffs.....

That's no playoffs 5 out of 7 seasons with a team in the top 10 of the league in salary spending each season.

Nobody has THAT much teflon...right?

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
If the Sabres miss the playoffs.....

That's no playoffs 5 out of 7 seasons with a team in the top 10 of the league in salary spending each season.

Nobody has THAT much teflon...right?

And in a league where 8 out of the 15 teams make the playoffs, absolutely pathetic.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I would imagine in the summer. I don't think Pegula's infatuation with him will be broken by a a few bad weeks of hockey or even a month. It will take an entire **** storm of a season to do it.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I would imagine in the summer. I don't think Pegula's infatuation with him will be broken by a a few bad weeks of hockey or even a month. It will take an entire **** storm of a season to do it.

I agree with partly. It will have to come from an advisor who becomes embarrased for Terry before he rolls over on it and then it will be interesting to see if Darcy decides that if that is the decision he is going too.
One thing that does have this process started we are off to a great start if the goal is a **** storm of a season. :cry:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

Last year was a ****storm of a season until it was salvaged by a late run that bought him more time. Had they carried that momentum into this year, and added Ott/Scott + a developing Foligno to inject some life, I'd be okay. I'm not.

jph1963

Apr 14, 2010
Can't Black do it? No starstruck mentality like Pegula or husbandry with Darcy. Maybe he is the smart hockey guy we thought he was and sees the embarassing situation for what it is, a complete cluster****.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I don't think he gets fired. I think they hold a press conference to say that he is moving upstairs to some front office position and they bring in a new coach.

I have respected Ruff and Darcy over the years but this team is dying for a fresh set of eyes running it. I would love to see both let go and Dudley brought in to run the show with a coach of his choosing.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I don't think he gets fired. I think they hold a press conference to say that he is moving upstairs to some front office position and they bring in a new coach.

I have respected Ruff and Darcy over the years but this team is dying for a fresh set of eyes running it. I would love to see both let go and Dudley brought in to run the show with a coach of his choosing.

Safe to say Regier isn't going anywhere in the near future.

Agreed on "fresh set of eyes" but I gear that more towards the coach and the need for a new voice in the players' proverbial ears.

Sadly, scarily, I wouldn't be shocked if they bumped Ruff up to the front office when trying to hire a new coach. I'll wait for that sideshow to actually happen, and to see exactly what role he'd have upstairs, before I completely rip it to pieces.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Safe to say Regier isn't going anywhere in the near future.

Agreed on "fresh set of eyes" but I gear that more towards the coach and the need for a new voice in the players' proverbial ears.

Sadly, scarily, I wouldn't be shocked if they bumped Ruff up to the front office when trying to hire a new coach. I'll wait for that sideshow to actually happen, and to see exactly what role he'd have upstairs, before I completely rip it to pieces.

THIS is the most likely scenario. Pegula is a fanboy. he didn't buy the team to make money. If he had, Ruff would be in jeopardy.

Fact is, fanboy Terry did not buy the team expecting to have to fire one of his hockey idols. He probably expected that after throwing money at all the areas he's thrown money at, things would fall into place. So, he will probably never fire Ruff, but rather find a position a little further down the trough to spare Lindy and humiliation---as if being fired once in 16 years in the NHL is so humiliating.

Something like:
Lindy Ruff, VP in Charge of Hockey System Execution

ryanbiggame*

I doubt that Ruff will get fired no matter how awful this season is. The collective assessment will be that this is a young roster in transition, and that all the pieces aren't in place yet or fully developed. I will lose all patience, cancel Center Ice and wait another couple seasons until he's finally replaced, and hope a friend clues me in before the next season starts.

Save yourself some money and just watch MSG HD bud. If you want you could come over and enjoy the games at my house.... Naked

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
THIS is the most likely scenario. Pegula is a fanboy. he didn't buy the team to make money. If he had, Ruff would be in jeopardy.

Fact is, fanboy Terry did not buy the team expecting to have to fire one of his hockey idols. He probably expected that after throwing money at all the areas he's thrown money at, things would fall into place. So, he will probably never fire Ruff, but rather find a position a little further down the trough to spare Lindy and humiliation---as if being fired once in 16 years in the NHL is so humiliating.

Something like:
Lindy Ruff, VP in Charge of Hockey System Execution

More like "Backup goalie development manager"

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
Why would Lindy accept a front office job when at least 5 teams will be beating down his door to have him as their head coach? As much as we dislike him, there WILL be coachless teams at the end of every year and they would be chomping at the bit to get a guy like Lindy.

Make no mistake: I'm done with him. I held out longer than most here but he indisputably needs to go. But the idea that he'd stay here for some token front office position? Come on, you guys are smarter than that.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Why is everyone so convinced that Terry won't be an advocate for firing Lindy?

Unless he's commented since the "lindy ain't going nowhere" quote, I'm not sure how you know he hasn't changed his mind in the meantime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad