Speculation: At what hypothetical point does Lindy get fired?

indigoo

Nov 26, 2011
If the Sabres miss the playoffs.....

That's no playoffs 5 out of 7 seasons with a team in the top 10 of the league in salary spending each season.

Nobody has THAT much teflon...right?

Lindy Ruff does, after all; he is a dynasty maker.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Save yourself some money and just watch MSG HD bud. If you want you could come over and enjoy the games at my house.... Naked

A few problems with this...

1) I don't get MSG because...
2) I live in NC now and DTV doesn't allow me to have MSG under any scenario
3) It would be a 10 hour drive to watch at your place, and I prefer to watch games with a tye-dye sock on, a rasta dreds wig, and body glitter, so I wouldn't be totally naked.

If you have enough beer and whiskey I'll still make the drive though.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
There's no way he's fired mid-season. How could someone new take over the team and change the system when there's barely 1 day a week for practise?

To save face, the organization should promote Lindy to a ceremonial position and drag him out to sign autographs a few times a month. The Sabres shouldn't *have* to save face, but they've painted themselves into a corner.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
There's no way he's fired mid-season. How could someone new take over the team and change the system when there's barely 1 day a week for practise?

To save face, the organization should promote Lindy to a ceremonial position and drag him out to sign autographs a few times a month. The Sabres shouldn't *have* to save face, but they've painted themselves into a corner.

Save what face? Is it that hard to fathom that someone in their job 14 years isn't good for it anymore?

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Save what face? Is it that hard to fathom that someone in their job 14 years isn't good for it anymore?

The amount of time he's been the coach isn't really relevant to anything.

The question is simple. Is he the right coach for the present and near future? It seems, from an outside perspective, that the answer is no.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
The amount of time he's been the coach isn't really relevant to anything.

The question is simple. Is he the right coach for the present and near future? It seems, from an outside perspective, that the answer is no.

The organization seems to have built a mystique around Lindy. To tear it down would look badly on some people since he should have been fired years ago.

Really, the only way Ruff leaves this year is on his own accord. Patrick as interim head coach, with a possibility of permanent depending on the play of the team. I felt the players responded well to Patrick when Lindy was in the press box nursing broken ribs. Adams can be assistant to Patrick.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
The organization seems to have built a mystique around Lindy. To tear it down would look badly on some people since he should have been fired years ago.

Really, the only way Ruff leaves this year is on his own accord. Patrick as interim head coach, with a possibility of permanent depending on the play of the team. I felt the players responded well to Patrick when Lindy was in the press box nursing broken ribs. Adams can be assistant to Patrick.

Interim yes, permanent no. Way too much Lindy influence to make any sort of significant change.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo

Giving him a "Ceremonial Position" just avoid "tearing down mystique" is even worse. If you want to fire him, fire him. Don't *****foot and hem and haw.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think it's unlikely he'd be fired until after the season. That being said, here's an interesting question: Who'd be interim coach? James Patrick probably, aye?

Edit: looks like everyone's already had this thought

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I remember the 1st game under Patrick was a 6-0 win. Doesn't mean much but I sure got a chuckle out of that one.

Fun fact - I had the chance to chat it up with Patrick at a meet and greet shin dig in Raleigh. We talked about his time with the Rangers and a little about the Sabres. He was really cool to talk with, seemed like if it weren't for being on a schedule he would've talked to me the whole night. Based on our discussion, I wouldn't mind seeing him take over and see what he could do.

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006
Lindy is such a prized possession to these guys that they will ask him to step down before "firing" him.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
End of season at the earliest. He'd be a great coach for Columbus I think.

This is really reading in between the lines but maybe there is something in Regiers contract getting extended but not Ruffs.

Maybe. Please. Hope. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad