At this point, is there anyone aside from McDavid / Crosby who can win the Art Ross?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Kane
Malkin
Benn
Seguin
Kucherov

I think those are the other serious threats.

Any of them having a career year makes them a serious contender. Malkin simply being healthy is likely enough

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I think a better poll question is:

For the Art Ross next year, do you pick Crosby/McDavid or the field?

I think I'd take Crosby/McDavid.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Malkin and to lesser extent Crosby doesn't have Kunitz this season, that is a big big big plus.

Dont really see how anyone could challenge Malkin, Crosby or Mcdavid. It would be health, and that has been proven to be the biggest obstacle so far in their careers.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
14-15 Art Ross winner Jamie Benn
15-16 Art Ross winner Patrick Kane
16-17 Art Ross winner Connor McDavid

Yes. Someone else than Crosby can definitely win it.

Is your instant reaction to downplay Crosby every time he's mentioned in a thread? Because otherwise, why would you even focus exclusively on Crosby when the OP is asking whether anyone other than Crosby AND McDavid who can win the Art Ross?

The way you worded your response would only make sense in a thread asking whether anyone other than Crosby can win an Art Ross.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Of course there is. As we have seen there have been 4 different winners the last 4 years. All it takes is for some other talented player to have a big year. Injuries also happen. Crosby likely misses 5 - 10 games. McDavid has one healthy year and one where he spent nearly half the season on the IR so who knows how things will work out for him from a health standpoint next season.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Since Crosby and Ovechkin entered the league, there's been a huge variety in who wins the Art Ross. Throughout that period, Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin were widely considered the top offensive players, but the three of them only won the Art Ross 5/11 times combined. These favourites have bad years, get injured, or get suspended, or just get out-played by another player some seasons. While it's certainly possible, there's no reason why McDavid should be expected to go on an Art Ross run like Jagr did in the 90s. It requires too many things to go right for the player, outside of their own talent and effort.

2005–06 Joe Thornton Boston Bruins/San Jose Sharks 125 1
2006–07 Sidney Crosby Pittsburgh Penguins 120 1
2007–08 Alexander Ovechkin Washington Capitals 112 1
2008–09 Evgeni Malkin Pittsburgh Penguins 113 1
2009–10 Henrik Sedin Vancouver Canucks 112 1
2010–11 Daniel Sedin Vancouver Canucks 104 1
2011–12 Evgeni Malkin Pittsburgh Penguins 109 2
2012–13[d] Martin St. Louis Tampa Bay Lightning 60 2
2013–14 Sidney Crosby Pittsburgh Penguins 104 2
2014–15 Jamie Benn Dallas Stars 87 1
2015–16 Patrick Kane Chicago Blackhawks 106 1

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Kane
Malkin
Benn
Seguin
Kucherov

I think those are the other serious threats.

Any of them having a career year makes them a serious contender. Malkin simply being healthy is likely enough

Malkin is never healthy.
He has missed an average of 20 games for each of the last 8 years.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Is your instant reaction to downplay Crosby every time he's mentioned in a thread? Because otherwise, why would you even focus exclusively on Crosby when the OP is asking whether anyone other than Crosby AND McDavid who can win the Art Ross?

The way you worded your response would only make sense in a thread asking whether anyone other than Crosby can win an Art Ross.

The thread title basically asks if Crosby is the only player capable of outscoring McDavid and viceversa. Crosby has been outscored for three years straigth and ranks 3rd in ppg during that timeframe. Even though Crosby was 2nd only to McDavid this year, he had no ppg or point gap over rest of his peers. Clearly if there is a player capable of beating McDavid, it doesn't necessarily have to be Crosby. And you don't need to be McDavid to beat Crosby.

Point being, including Crosby in this thread was pointless seeing that we already know that other players are fully capable of beating him currently. The question should be whether there is a player capable of outscoring McDavid, to which we can say that yes unless he gets better.

Last edited:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Crosby has only 2 Ross out of 8 healthy seasons. Yes Crosby is the best player if you go look at all of the players career but a lot of times he is not the best player if you look at regular season by regular srason

These were the player that had a better season from a healthy Crosby

2006 JT Jagr
2009 Malkin Ovechkin
2010 H Sedin
2015 Benn Taveres
2016 Kane
2017 Mcdavid

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
The raw point totals don't tell the whole story. When people talk about McDavid leading the scoring race by 11 points, it's pretty disingenuous. Here's the P/G leaders:

1. Connor McDavid • EDM 1.22
2. Sidney Crosby • PIT 1.19
3. Evgeni Malkin • PIT 1.16

Now consider that Kunitz will no longer be stinking up either Penguin's line.

Except now he has by far the best set of wingers he's ever had.

We could say the same thing about McDavid with Eberle. That was a 35 game experiment that lasted about 34 games too long.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Scheifele could be a dark horse if his progression continues a little bit more.

2013-14 --> 34 points in 63 games (0.54 PPG)
2014-15 --> 49 points in 82 games (0.60 PPG)
2015-16 --> 61 points in 71 games (0.86 PPG)
2016-17 --> 82 points in 79 games (1.04 PPG)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The answer is no (in my opinion obviously)

McDavid scored 100 last season and he will only get better, can't see anyone touching him for a long time unless he gets injured for a decent amount of time. Pains me to say as a Flames fan, but McDavid will be untouchable in regards to the Art Ross for a while.

Crosby should have more but he kept getting injured. Unless the same happens to McDavid (loses essentially 3 years because of a head injury; Crosby didn't lose full seasons, but the injury effected him for a long time) and other injuries he should always be on top.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The thread title basically asks if Crosby is the only player capable of outscoring McDavid and viceversa. Crosby has been outscored for three years straigth and ranks 3rd in ppg during that timeframe. Even though Crosby was 2nd only to McDavid this year, he had no ppg or point gap over rest of his peers. Clearly if there is a player capable of beating McDavid, it doesn't necessarily have to be Crosby. And you don't need to be McDavid to beat Crosby.

Point being, including Crosby in this thread was pointless seeing that we already know that other players are fully capable of beating him currently. The question should be whether there is a player capable of outscoring McDavid, to which we can say that yes unless he gets better.

Well, no. The thread is specifically asking if anyone other than Crosby or McDavid can win the Art Ross. That's the entire point of the OP. Is the Art Ross a two-man race, or can someone else win it instead of those two? So you arguing only about whether someone can beat Crosby is ignoring a big part of the point of the thread.

It's a pretty simple concept that the OP is asking. It's like saying, if you had $100 to bet on the Art Ross, would you bet for a]Crosby and McDavid or b]Anyone else. So you have two options: a or b. You decided to answer for an option that wasn't even given.

So it just seemed like you chose to ignore the relevant inclusion of McDavid as part of the "Crosby" option in order to downplay Crosby.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Someone other than McDavid and Crosby could win it but I wouldn't best against them.

Crosby has had the best PPG average in 5 of the last 7 seasons and was 2nd only to McDavid last season. If he's healthy for 82 games, he's probably winning the Art Ross. Besides Kane and McDavid, all those other players won the Art Ross because he was hurt.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
What would have been his point total if he never played with Drai last season? Less than 100 I am assuming.

Why is being able to find chemistry with players something that is used against him? We've watched the Pens spend almost Crosby's entire career trying to find someone to play with him. Maybe Crosby should be easier to play with?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If healthy seasons are turned in by McDavid and Crosby, I'd be shocked honestly if one of the two didn't win. But someone surprises every year. Maybe it's enough. It's certainly not impossible.

I probably still give the edge to a healthy Crosby over McDavid, but it wouldn't be a significant one.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Yes there are other players.

Kane
Stamkos
Seguin
Benn
Malkin
Kucherov
Matthews
Laine
Scheifele