At this point, is there anyone aside from McDavid / Crosby who can win the Art Ross?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
14-15 Art Ross winner Jamie Benn
15-16 Art Ross winner Patrick Kane
16-17 Art Ross winner Connor McDavid

Yes. Someone else than Crosby can definitely win it.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Malkin if Kessel is on his wing full time

Crosby will depend on Guentzel keeping up his play and McDavid on whether Draisaitl will continue to play as his winger.

If Guentzels play drops or McDavid plays with Strome instead, I think Malkin has a good chance of winning

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
If he can stay healthy Malkin is absolutely capable. He just lead the playoffs in scoring and is a multiple art ross winner himself.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
14-15 Art Ross winner Jamie Benn
15-16 Art Ross winner Patrick Kane
16-17 Art Ross winner Connor McDavid

Yes. Someone else than Crosby can definitely win it.

McDavid just won it by 11 points in his first full season. It's his to lose at this point, and many view Crosby as the only one who can challenge him.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
McDavid just won it by 11 points in his first full season. It's his to lose at this point, and many view Crosby as the only one who can challenge him.

Plenty of players that can win the Art Ross.

Last eight seasons. Eight different winners.

They days of a Gretzky dominating the scoring race for a decade are gone. Way too much parity in the game.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
Its likely McDavid's or Crosby's to lose. But if say they both go down, I could see:

-Kucherov
-Gaudreau
-Benn
-Seguin

I'd go with Benn/Seguin as the likely winners. Those 2 on a line + Radulov (if he plays with them, not sure of the Stars line combos) should be the highest scoring line in the league.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Probably not, but Malkin, Benn, Seguin, Kane, Kucherov have enough of a chance to mention. Heck, I've been hard on him the past few years but I would almost even throw Stamkos into that group if he can show the form he had before he got hurt last year and plays with Kucherov on the PP.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Malkin is more likely than Crosby to be honest. Crosby has only won once in the last 9 years. It's not like he's a constant lock.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The raw point totals don't tell the whole story. When people talk about McDavid leading the scoring race by 11 points, it's pretty disingenuous. Here's the P/G leaders:

1. Connor McDavid • EDM 1.22
2. Sidney Crosby • PIT 1.19
3. Evgeni Malkin • PIT 1.16

Now consider that Kunitz will no longer be stinking up either Penguin's line.

Malkin is more likely than Crosby to be honest. Crosby has only won once in the last 9 years. It's not like he's a constant lock.

Except now he has by far the best set of wingers he's ever had.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
If they both play full seasons, I think choosing one of them is often a safe bet, but to assume nobody can challenge them is foolish. Seguin, Kucherov, Malkin, and P. Kane all could win it. Scheifele or Backstrom could also be dark horses for it if either of them have excellent seasons

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014

While that is true, he would have won it in 2010-11 if he hadn't sustained a concussion and probably would have won it in 2012-13 if it wasn't for a broken jaw.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Eight different winners in last eight seasons. Come on. There are no locks to win the Art Ross.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Assuming McDavid, Crosby and Malkin stay healthy (extremely unlikely) I would be surprised if one of them didn't win it. McDavid is the favourite no matter what IMO, and Kane and a few others like Kucherov, Benn and Seguin have a chance of course, but I still don't see it if those 3 avoid injury.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Pretty sure health has a lot to do with that, this is assuming he can play and 80+ game season with the wingers he now has he's a close second to McDavid for the Art Ross.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Assuming McDavid, Crosby and Malkin stay healthy (extremely unlikely) I would be surprised if one of them didn't win it. McDavid is the favourite no matter what IMO, and Kane and a few others like Kucherov, Benn and Seguin have a chance of course, but I still don't see it if those 3 avoid injury.

backstrom?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

From 2010/11 to 2014/15, Crosby had the league's best PPG every year.

From 2009/10 to last year, the number of times Malkin has had a better PPG or point total than Crosby - one (out of sixteen opportunities).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad