The Athletic At Age 76 Hall of Famer Rick Jeanneret is Still Calling the Shots in Buffalo

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Holy Hell. Listening to Rob Ray subbing for Rivet on the Instigators today reinforces any notion I had that Ray is not qualified to be a color commentary on any broadcast of substance.

Getting animated, he claimed Patrick Laine can't skate, can't move the puck, can't do anything but one time the puck on the power play. Jets should trade him.
Well he can do one thing well Rob- he can score goals. He's having a tough year but 36 and 45 in years 1 & 2 weren't bad.

Also, he (nor Andrew) were aware that the defending center has to put his stick down first on faceoffs. The only exception being at center ice, where the visitor must put his stick down first.
How do you watch 82 games a year from the players bench and not know that???

Welcome to my team! Ray sucks huge.

Deleted member 27798

If it means Dunleavy takes over, I hope RJ stays until he is 100. Consider me a dues paying member of the Dunleavy Sucks Club.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Ted Darling was awesome as well, even though short lived. I remember.
So it to, will come to pass, RJ will eventually hang them up or pass away. We each owe a death, we each owe a life, and in RJ's case, his life has inspired not 1,000's, not 100,000's, but MILLIONS!
Stop for a moment you younger fans, reflect on that if you will. This man has been the voice of the Sabres for nearly 93% of their existence.

He is beyond a treasure, for a treasure is hidden, and you must dig for. He is beyond a hero, for a hero has a moment in time and fades away.
No, this man is neither a treasure, nor a hero. He is, for better lack of the word...…………...US. He is you, he is the person with you watching a Sabres game. He is sitting next to you in the stands. He is wife, your husband, your children. He is...……………………."The Voice"...……………………."Of the Buffalo Sabres".

I will turn 50 a few days after the team. I have no illusions that he is immortal. So, for you NEW fans that read this, LET YOUR CHILDREN LISTEN to RJ. It is a more than just Nostalgia, more than just History, it is A RIGHT OF PASSAGE! He will be spoken about for the next 50 years and beyond here in Buffalo. For those that hear his voice, have had the honor of living it, you be sure to pass the legend along. For there is no greater love, than for those that love thy sisters and brothers.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
If it means Dunleavy takes over, I hope RJ stays until he is 100. Consider me a dues paying member of the Dunleavy Sucks Club.
Duffer did an amazing job on emergency fill-in when RJ had his episode, I would love for him to be the long term answer there. He stepped right in and was very natural, I’ll bet he practices as he’s watching the games from the Brian and Marty Box.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Ted Darling was awesome as well, even though short lived. I remember.

Ted was amazing. An artist with the radio as his canvas, and he created masterpieces.

As a kid, I would put the earpiece in my little transistor radio and listen to Ted call the West Coast games after I was in bed. I rarely fell asleep, he called it and you could follow the game very clearly.

RJ is iconic, but no one was better than Ted at describing the action.

Despite people finding him somewhat vanilla, I personally enjoy Dunleavy calling a game, he provides me with what is needed. He calls it, and gives me some facts. I know when to anticipate scoring chances, or can see when a player shoots.

And in an age of awful, over the top, asinine, boorish announcers like Emrick, and a few others, this is refreshing.

Last edited:

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Johnnnnnnnnnnnn

Vannnnnnnnnnnnn

Boxmeeeeeeeeeeeeer!

Thank you! Evokes memories.

Funny story. I used to live in Getzville in my previous life. My son had a birthday party, and I arrived home as people were leaving. Standing in my living room was John VanBoxmeer. Turns out my son went to elementary and middle school with John's son Hank, and was friends with him. Small world.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Dunleavy seems like a very nice guy but as a play-by-play man I'm not a fan. Adequate is about as best as I can describe him. Duff isn't a play-by-guy. The AHL, NCAA and CHL have many good voices to choose from when Rick is done.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Dunleavy seems like a very nice guy but as a play-by-play man I'm not a fan. Adequate is about as best as I can describe him. Duff isn't a play-by-guy. The AHL, NCAA and CHL have many good voices to choose from when Rick is done.

Any you recommend in particular? I'd like to check them out. They may be colorful without being obnoxious, which would be great, and they'd be a welcome breath of fresh air.

An Emrick, Mike Haynes/Colorado, or John Ehlers/Anaheim just grate on my nerves, as they are complete posers. I don't want to have to mute my TV.

There's only a few true legends like Gene Hart, Foster Hewitt, Bob Cole, Dan Kelly, Danny Gallivan, Ted Darling, and of course RJ, that I've heard, - so they can't all be great.

While he's not tantalizing listeners, Dunleavy doesn't torment them either.

And I can live with him being our PBP man.

But then again, I'm just an old man set in his ways, and the masses are free to disagree.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I'm pretty old too - Dan Kelly is the best I've ever heard do hockey and Gallivan and Irvin give me goosebumps, the mystique of the Canadiens and the Forum is what I grew up on.

I was watching the Amerks play the Crunch and was impressed by the Crunch play-by-play guy so I looked him up, very young only a few years out of college. Rick's replacement should be somebody young, let a new generation of Sabres fans grow up with their own guy not a 50 year old.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I'm pretty old too - Dan Kelly is the best I've ever heard do hockey and Gallivan and Irvin give me goosebumps, the mystique of the Canadiens and the Forum is what I grew up on.

I was watching the Amerks play the Crunch and was impressed by the Crunch play-by-play guy so I looked him up, very young only a few years out of college. Rick's replacement should be somebody young, let a new generation of Sabres fans grow up with their own guy not a 50 year old.
Ted Darling, best there ever was.
Gary Thorn was excellent calling the game.
Emrick makes me want to puke.
I loved the old Hockey Night in Canada guys, too.

Reactions: Howie Hodge

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Duffer did an amazing job on emergency fill-in when RJ had his episode, I would love for him to be the long term answer there. He stepped right in and was very natural, I’ll bet he practices as he’s watching the games from the Brian and Marty Box.
I thought the same thing as well. Not only was he reallllllly good, but he also only had like 12 seconds notice to get set up and everything.

Dunleavy is just okay, imo, but definitely of a new age where more vanilla = better (I don’t agree, but it seems that’s what teams are going for these days). I actually think he’d serve better as a color commentator next to Duff, which would allow Ray to be more of a true “on-ice analyst” than the full-time color guy he’s become.

Reactions: Reddawg

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I thought the same thing as well. Not only was he reallllllly good, but he also only had like 12 seconds notice to get set up and everything.

Dunleavy is just okay, imo, but definitely of a new age where more vanilla = better (I don’t agree, but it seems that’s what teams are going for these days). I actually think he’d serve better as a color commentator next to Duff, which would allow Ray to be more of a true “on-ice analyst” than the full-time color guy he’s become.
Rayzor as an analyst is a scary concept IMO...adding some color commentary is his wheelhouse.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Rayzor as an analyst is a scary concept IMO...adding some color commentary is his wheelhouse.
He’s kind of in a hybrid role of doing both. Surprisingly, I don’t think he’s that bad when it comes to breaking things down, even when it’s immediately after they happen. But there’s just so much of him in every game. He’s playing on the first line when he should be grinding on the 4th :laugh:

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
As a kid, I would put the earpiece in my little transistor radio and listen to Ted call the West Coast games after I was in bed. I rarely fell asleep, he called it and you could follow the game very clearly.

I always fell asleep.
Then I would wake up in the middle of the night very confused hearing John Otto's voice!

Reactions: Howie Hodge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad