The Athletic At Age 76 Hall of Famer Rick Jeanneret is Still Calling the Shots in Buffalo

Discussion in 'Buffalo Sabres' started by Dingo44, Oct 2, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Dingo44

Dingo44 Eichel's Underpaid Sponsor

At age 76, Hall of Famer Rick Jeanneret is still calling the...

This truly seems like bonus time for the generations of fans who’ve heard him call all but the opening season of the Sabres’ existence. He’s forged through offseason hospitalizations the last few summers to make his way to the microphone.

“Healthwise, it’s really going well,” Jeanneret said this week. “I’ve had a couple of scares, and that’s enough, thank you. I don’t think I want any more. The next thing that comes along, if it’s the big one then I’ll be OK with that, but I just don’t want to go through a long hassle on the way out the door.

“But now, I’m tickety-boo. I’m really feeling good. I’ve got some aches and pains, but they come with being my age. Name me somebody who’s my age who doesn’t have them.”

The aches, illnesses and cancer battle aside, Jeanneret was scheduled to be off the air and entering his third season of retirement by now. Former Sabres President Ted Black announced in 2013 that Jeanneret had signed his final three-year contract and would step away for good after the 2015-16 season.
    There was one problem with that.

“There was a plan that I was never informed of,” Jeanneret said. “I never did set a year. They were set by other people. I never said that I’d be finished by 2018 or ’17 or whatever. I never set a date and I’m still not setting a date. I don’t know.

“I wouldn’t do this if I couldn’t get up for it. In fact, I’ve never had any problem with getting up for the games and doing the games themselves. It’s the travel and stuff like that that’s a bit of a drawback, as far as I’m concerned. Now I’ve cut back travel this year.”

sabremike and Gabrielor like this.
  2. Dingo44

Dingo44 Eichel's Underpaid Sponsor

Still the best in the business. Listening to him is a joy and a treat even after all these years. Hope this year he finally has some real great stuff about which to get excited.

One of the best quotes I ever heard from Jeanneret came from another broadcaster whose name escapes me: "He can make a boring game sound exciting and an exciting game sound epic."

He's one of the best things about being a Sabres fan. I'll listen to him as long as he wants to keep announcing. And he's still very good - despite what those with hearts of pure stone might suggest.

Eichel9, ZZamboni and sabremike like this.
  3. kirby11

kirby11 Registered User

We better get back to the playoffs while he's still calling games. So many great lines, from "MayDay! MayDay!" to "Curtis Brown makes a mad dash down the ice...Buffalo, with a stranglehold on the series!" to "These guys are good...scary good!"

4. hector morrison

hector morrison Registered User

Leaf fan here, but been to a lot of Sabre games...So I tune in once in a while! He is great, He is so into it...It's how it should be! Keep rockin' Rick!

5. Buttons85

Buttons85 RJ & Rayzor Fan Club

RJ is unrivaled in my book. The fact that he's still doing this is amazing, and I'll mourn the day he calls his last game. Hearing him on the broadcast is the purest nostalgia every time.

I also still miss Jim Lorentz and Mike Robitaille. And Rob Ray is a dope, but he's our dope.

6. ZZamboni

ZZamboni Puttin' on the Foil

Yea... unfortunately .... those younger want him gone and think he’s no longer any good. Mistakes or no mistakes he’s one of the best in the league still. With all the vanilla monotone boring PxP guys, he’s a true gem compared to those lame snooze fest voices.

He’s far from bad. Oh how wrong his detractors are. They just don’t get it.

Looking forward to as much RJ as he can do! :wave:

Dingo44 likes this.
  7. Rasmi

Rasmi Registered User

Love RJ, it's cool how many generations of Sabres fans have grown up with him. I gotta admit I am really worried that when he retires they will make Dunleavy the full time guy. Seems like a good guy but is as vanilla as it gets and says some really really cheesy lines.

8. Sansbacon

Sansbacon Sansagoodhockeyteam

Oh god, I saw “at age 76” and “Rick Jeanneret” and nearly “Mayday’d” myself.

The man is my entire Sabre’s childhood, teenage hood, and adulthood story teller. One of the last of his kind, and will eventually make his way to the Mount Rushmore of Buffalo. First ballet.

9. Buffaloed

Buffaloed webmaster

If broadcasting counted in the standings the Sabres would be a dynasty. Other than a brief rebuilding period in the early 90's (aka the Gurtler Gaff) this team has had hall of fame quality play by play since its inception.

Dingo44 and oldgoalie like this.
  10. Howie Hodge

Howie Hodge I Am The Walrus

"Ted Black announced in 2013 that he (RJ) had signed his last three year contract...."

Was that idiot Ted Black EVER right about anything?

If he was it must have been someone asking him what time it was, or what he'd like for lunch....

11. AT4

AT4 Registered User

Network Engineer
    I remember getting a little AM/FM radio for Christmas in the 70s and listening to games in a cardboard box fort I made from all the holiday trash.

Rick's been around since and I'm in my 50's. I'm going to need a truck load of onions to cut when he's off the air for good.

12. Eichel9

Eichel9 A DJ saved my life

Rick was trained(otj?) to do play by play for radio. And then TV. So he's very descriptive with few words. And he's not like the pompous Emerick who tells stories when we'd rather hear whats happening on the ice. Rick knows the time and place for those. Such a shame he's had to go from Lorentz to Neale and then the dregs of Ray(with some others in between).

Rowley Birkin likes this.
  13. Rowley Birkin

Rowley Birkin Registered User

The term is overused but he is a living legend. He is up there with the best commentators transcending all sports IMO.

Being from the UK I first picked the Sabres as my team in the very early 00s - it wasn't possible to follow all games outside of the radio so that's where I came to love & really appreciatee RJ. He could /can make games come alive just with his delivery alone. So descriptive yet he never loses flow & always maintains excitement. Its a rare talent & most people just don't appreciate this enough.

Of course there will come a time when it's best for him to stop. But man I hope that time is after the Sabres win it all.

If the Sabres ever managed the impossible without RJ calling it something wouldn't feel right.

Sansbacon likes this.
  14. ozpensfan

ozpensfan Registered User

Here comes Trefiluv!

VaporTrail likes this.