Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Was your "Bryan Boyle or Wayne Simmonds" comment lumping both in the same category or pointing out the difference in the two?

Because if he turned out to be Wayne Simmonds I'd be happy... He's way bigger though.

Can very well end up being better overall than Simmonds as he's a better skater and stick handler already. Simmonds is also not very good defensively and takes a lot of stupid penalties. Hoping Rasmussen will draw more than take simply due to his size advantage.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Sample size. If he continues to play very well next year, then maybe he's found another gear, and the pick looks fantastic. But anybody can get hot for 10 games, versus a larger body of work that suggests he may be more of a middle six guy. Time will tell, but just as I don't go crazy with drafting a kid based on a single tournament, I also don't put a ton of stock in a handful of playoff games, no matter how awesome somebody looks.
If everyone was that level headed though we wouldn’t have people talking about Necas as the next big thing based on a 7-game tournament though. I’m less bothered by skepticism against Ras than I am that Necas/Vilardi and others are talked about as certain star players and big misses.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
The hype he gets from the HF "experts" here on the Wings' board every day. The hype on the Freep. On Mlive. The Athletic. Etc.

Come on man. the most ardent Rasmussen supporters claim he is an "OK" pick taken where he should have been taken.
Basically its just people defending the "he is a bust" hype.

What world do you live in?

Reactions: newfy and Oddbob
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'd rather suck for one more year and grab Lafrenière in 2020, then go on a tear and win all the Stanley Cups.

I may take some heat on this, especially from American fans, but.....

Lafrenière > J.Hughes
Where have all the awesome centers gone? Svechnikov is a winger, Zadina is a winger, Hughes might be too small to be a center, Lafreniere is a winger...

Edmonton and Buffalo made out like bandits. Not just out of pure skill, but they also got their lottery players at the most important position there is. Hell, I'd even take a Hischier/Patrick/Necas level prospect. But there's just... nothing.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If everyone was that level headed though we wouldn’t have people talking about Necas as the next big thing based on a 7-game tournament though. I’m less bothered by skepticism against Ras than I am that Necas/Vilardi and others are talked about as certain star players and big misses.
Alright. But while I personally don't think Necas or Vilardi are a lock for anything, I still do think that Vilardi in particular stacks up as a better pick than Ras. I guess we'll find out in a few years.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Come on man. the most ardent Rasmussen supporters claim he is an "OK" pick taken where he should have been taken.
Basically its just people defending the "he is a bust" hype.

What world do you live in?

LOL.
Whatever.

Love the pick. We need size down the middle.

Been saying it for a month. Rasmussen is a scouts dream and that I doubted he'd still be on the board but it would be a surprise if they passed on him. We shall see. Could end up being best player in this draft.

I'm at the draft, watched the pick in person. Believe me, kid is going to be awesome.

To me he is potential franchise player not some secondary winger who needs more time in the minors.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Where have all the awesome centers gone? Svechnikov is a winger, Zadina is a winger, Hughes might be too small to be a center, Lafreniere is a winger...

Edmonton and Buffalo made out like bandits. Not just out of pure skill, but they also got their lottery players at the most important position there is. Hell, I'd even take a Hischier/Patrick/Necas level prospect. But there's just... nothing.

One of those is not like the other...

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Pfft Necas wont be any better than Larkin and has no goal scoring ability.

Vilardi doesn’t skate gracefully.

Ras will dominate.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
LOL.
Whatever.

Been saying it for a month. Rasmussen is a scouts dream and that I doubted he'd still be on the board but it would be a surprise if they passed on him. We shall see. Could end up being best player in this draft.

I'm at the draft, watched the pick in person. Believe me, kid is going to be awesome.

To me he is potential franchise player not some secondary winger who needs more time in the minors.
With AA on his wing, they can each rack up an obscene P/60. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I would take a Larkin.
You get a Larkin! And YOU get a Larkin! Everybody gets a Larkin!

oprah-free-car.gif

Reactions: BinCookin

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
You need to understand nuance, my friend. You would also do well to know the difference between hype and optimism.

Uh-huh.
So when somone you disagree with says something, they get get called "experts," with "quotes," of course, you show your derisive sarcasm.
But you take offense when the same thing is said about people who agree with you.

I think Rasmussen will be a good player. I think he was a stupid pick at 9 though.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

I think Rasmussen will be a good player. I think he was a stupid pick at 9 though.
So...you love the pick, and think he's a potential franchise player...but think it was a stupid pick at 9? :huh:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I would take a Larkin.
We actually have one already. Most people don't think he's good enough to be a core player.

Alright. But while I personally don't think Necas or Vilardi are a lock for anything, I still do think that Vilardi in particular stacks up as a better pick than Ras. I guess we'll find out in a few years.
I'll hold judgement until being able to watch both of them play in comparable environments, but as the playoffs roll on Ras seems to be inching closer in terms of season totals.

Vilardi: 78 points in 45 games
Rasmussen: 84 points in 56 games

Rasmussen currently on 16 game point streak going back to regular season. 35 points in last 16 games. 64SOG in those games, average of 4 per game. +24 as well and 40/67 on faceoffs (~60%).

So while Vilardi's full season may still be more impressive it's not like we're talking about a 5 game streak of lucky play for Ras. He's been dominant for a while now.

Vilardi's now pointless the last 3 games with a -5 rating, has been held to only 1 SOG this series and brutal faceoff numbers. It's all about sample sizes but I think people are seeing what they want to see with regards to Vilardi's while always trying to find a loophole to avoid giving Rasmussen credit.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think the thing that's interesting is that Detroit seems so hell bent on picking size now. If Ras pans out you've got both him and Mantha, who are two guys that aren't getting pushed around.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think the thing that's interesting is that Detroit seems so hell bent on picking size now. If Ras pans out you've got both him and Mantha, who are two guys that aren't getting pushed around.

Svechnikov isn't small, either. Neither is AA. Then there are longer shots like Turgeon, Smith, Pearson, and Pope who could fill out the lineup and have some pretty good size to them, too.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I like the RAS pick. When Detroit picked him I wasn't all that surprised and thought it was okay. Just like the Larkin pick I thought was okay but not hyped about it. I was hyped when Detroit picked Teemu Pulkkinen.

As for Necas and Vilardi vs. RAS, I think RAS is right there with them but has better attributes and worse attributes than each of them. I am not conviced that Necas or Vilardi will be better and RAS at #9 is a fine pick considering what was available to choose from. RAS was drafted exactly where many of the top draft analysts predicted he'd would/should go. Draft analysts that actually watched him play since he was like 14 pr 15 years old and watched him develop through the years. Nearly ALL of the people who "hate" the pick probably have logged a total of 20 minutes of YouTube highlights on him to give their "expert" opinions.

I'm no expert, but the experts did predict days before draft day that he should go around #9. And he did. That's all the "expert" I need since I didn't get to watch this kid play live since 15 years old and have no other resources to watch him other than the occassional YouTube highlight like nearly everyone else on this hockey forum.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I like the RAS pick. When Detroit picked him I wasn't all that surprised and thought it was okay. Just like the Larkin pick I thought was okay but not hyped about it. I was hyped when Detroit picked Teemu Pulkkinen.

As for Necas and Vilardi vs. RAS, I think RAS is right there with them but has better attributes and worse attributes than each of them. I am not conviced that Necas or Vilardi will be better and RAS at #9 is a fine pick considering what was available to choose from. RAS was drafted exactly where many of the top draft analysts predicted he'd would/should go. Draft analysts that actually watched him play since he was like 14 pr 15 years old and watched him develop through the years. Nearly ALL of the people who "hate" the pick probably have logged a total of 20 minutes of YouTube highlights on him to give their "expert" opinions.

I'm no expert, but the experts did predict days before draft day that he should go around #9. And he did. That's all the "expert" I need since I didn't get to watch this kid play live since 15 years old and have no other resources to watch him other than the occassional YouTube highlight like nearly everyone else on this hockey forum.
That's fine and dandy...except that it's not true.

2017 NHL Draft Rankings

That shows 12 different rankings, prior to the 2017 draft.

Vilardi had a high of 3rd, a low of 7th, and an average of 5.17 across the dozen rankings.
Rasmussen had a high of 9th, a low of 23rd, and an average of 15.33 across the dozen rankings.

Now obviously, you're free to prefer some rankings over others. And rankings aren't ultimately what determine a player's career. But please stop pretending that the pros had Vilardi and Rasmussen as a coin flip, or that most pros had Ras at #9, because every single one of those rankings had Vilardi ranked higher, and on average, he was ranked 10 picks higher. (For reference, Necas had a high of 7th, a low of 20th, and an average of 11.42 across the dozen rankings.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad