Prospect Info: At 8th Overall the Kings Select Brandt Clarke

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I see both sides of the debate on how much Kopitar should have accepted. I feel like he has no obligation to do it, but some athletes have in the past (Bergeron, Tom Brady) but others certainly have not. Remember he did have Ryan Smyth as a linemate for 2 years, Smyth was very vocal about how he learned to get everything you can from Weight and Guerin, maybe that was passed on to AK and DD. The $7m number wasn't ever going to hurt the Kings, the big risk was in the two years for a guy who will be 37 and 38, but at this point it's looking more and more like Kopitar is going to be more Bergeron and Pavelski than he is going to be Getzlaf. With his game-sense it really is possible that Kopitar could play into his 40's if he wanted to, he is still one step ahead of almost everyone in both zones even as his skating has gotten worse.
I wouldn't say Bergeron took anymore of a discount than Kopitar did.

Bergeron got 5M coming off a 65pts season with the cap at 82.5M

Kopitar is getting 7M coming off a 74pts season (and likely 80pts season) with the cap at 87.5M and ∼92M.

Bruins were just able to amortize Bergeron's cap hit which is one of the things that's hurting them this year.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Agree on Danaults ability, it’s purely a cap conundrum.

I like him but they have ‘potentially’ Byfield or Turcotte to fit into that slot through the middle. Also with the cap going up some teams out East would probably be very interested in him. Of the players with meaningful cap hits up front his is probably the most moveable and/or the one that you’re most likely to want to move. They won’t be trading Kopitar, Dubois, Fiala, Kempe or Moore for various reasons. I’m not saying I want to move him but if we hit a scenario where they need to move a meaningful contract I think he’s the best candidate.

As you say we will need guys on friendly deals because it’s looking like some of the ELC guys are going to push for big increases. Let’s hope so because if they do it’ll have been a great season.
I see your point, but I put a LOT of stock into PD24s leadership skills. After every game, he's the guy high fiving every guy as they come off the ice. I think it's fair to assume that he is a vocal leader as well. In fact, I think he's probably more vocal than Kopi. His teammates seem to love him. Unless he falls off a cliff I'd rather keep. He's a culture changer. And his game is ready made for bottom 6 minutes for when (hopefully) Turcotte and QB surpass him on the depth chart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad