At 30th Overall the Red Wings Select Centre Joe Veleno

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Wow, I seriously have the biggest smile. For reference, I had Veleno over HAYTON, who Arizona took at 5th....and we could conceivably still land 2 of the following: Wilde, Akil Thomas, Jeff Woo, Mattias Sammuelson, K'Andre Miller.

What. The. %#(@.

This draft can set us up for a longggg time.

Nice, not bad. I had Veleno pegged as a 2nd line center in the 15-20 range. The fact we got him at 30 is great and really bolsters our forward prospects down the road.

Between Larkin and Veleno, we're going to have some speed down the middle for a long time.

Reactions: TheMule93

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We could concivably still land 2 of the following: Wilde, Akil Thomas, Jeff Woo, Mattias Sammuelson, K'Andre Miller.

What. The. %#(@.

This draft can set us up for a longggg time.

Miller went off the board at #22. He was a favorite of mine.

We should take Wilde or Sammuelson at #33.

Noel is also interesting at one of our selections tomorrow along with the other players you listed. But I think they go two D to kick things off tomorrow. McIsaac is also out there.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hard to be displeased when a consensus 3 falls to you at 6, and you get another 15ish at 30, even if it doesn't address our defensive issues. Good day for us and honestly a really great day for the Islanders getting two top 10s at 11 and 12, with Wahlstrom and Dobson. Edmonton got a good one too in Bouchard at 10.

What the heck are Montreal, Arizona and the Rangers doing? Hayton at 5, no way! Rangers go way off the board with Kravtsov! I honestly think MTL and ARI are going to regret going so high with the two they picked. Going off the board works sometimes, but so far off that early seems like a bad move.

Reactions: connormcmuffin

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What a pick at 30. I was praying he'd fall to #16 so we could pick him. Congrats.

Reactions: Syckle78

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Hard to be displeased when a consensus 3 falls to you at 6, and you get another 15ish at 30, even if it doesn't address our defensive issues. Good day for us and honestly a really great day for the Islanders getting two top 10s at 11 and 12, with Wahlstrom and Dobson. Edmonton got a good one too in Bouchard at 10.

What the heck are Montreal, Arizona and the Rangers doing? Hayton at 5, no way! Rangers go way off the board with Kravtsov! I honestly think MTL and ARI are going to regret going so high with the two they picked. Going off the board works sometimes, but so far off that early seems like a bad move.

I get the Finnish center going high. Arizona's pick, though. If they don't hit on that pick, if Hayton ends up being a bit of a bust or just not as good as the players chosing immediately after him (such as Zadina), I have to think that pick will be held up as the beginning of the end for their GM.

Reactions: Oddbob

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Kravtsov is a very good pick and a lot of people had him around 12, a little bit of a reach, but not as crazy as Hayton.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Lots of talent left... Tychonick, Woo, Wilde, Addison, Berggren, Olofsson, Groulx and Mcleod

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Hockeyprospect had him at 6, Mckenzie at 12, Mckean at 16, ISS at 36. A bit of a range, and a bit of a reach, but I don’t think it was that bad.
All of twitter was stunned he dropped so far. Good sign is when your team is the one that selects him :)

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Lots of talent left... Tychonick, Woo, Wilde, Addison, Berggren, Olofsson, Groulx and Mcleod

Forgot about him. Would be happy with that choice at 33 or 36. Think he has a lot of room for growth in the NCAA.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I was puzzled when the McKenzie and Button were knocking the guy for not having scoring and high end talent

He may not score 80P but the dude has lots of abilities. Can score well, pass well, skate very well, etc. Even if he becomes a 2C/3C with around 50P, I don’t understand how it’s bad thing. He also seems like an excellent team player.

He has potential. Lots of it

Reactions: NickH8

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
was he not captain?

great skater and passer, underage kid/special status to the Q for a reason

everyone mentions how he takes the game seriously in all its aspects

this is a huge steal at 30

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was puzzled when the McKenzie and Button were knocking the guy for not having scoring and high end talent

He may not score 80P but the dude has lots of abilities. Can score well, pass well, skate very well, etc. Even if he becomes a 2C/3C with around 50P, I don’t understand how it’s bad thing. He also seems like an excellent team player.

He has potential. Lots of it

The goal scoring is a legit knock, but I like everything else about how he plays a lot.

Fast, excellent playmaker, leadership, sounds familiar, eh?

Yeah, I like this addition to our center group. Veleno brings some of the same things Larkin does.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I'm so thrilled with Veleno, I had him 11th on my list.

For anyone interested, Veleno after being traded to Drummondville had a 1.45 PPG. Zadina on the season had a 1.44 PPG

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
There is definitely reason to understand why Veleno fell to 30th. But that doesn't mean that he can't develop his game and make a lot of GMs regret passing on him.

He has a pretty weak shot, he is very weak on the puck, he can make some highlight real moves for Youtube but in reality those attempts more times than not, end up with him turning the puck over.

His vision is top notch. The kid sees the ice very well and can hit a tight passing lane on the tape before anyone else even realized it was there. He is a pretty fast player as well. He uses that speed a lot to carry the puck up the ice, but unfortunately doesn't have a lot of ability to make anything special happen on a consistent basis off the rush. But certainly a player than can get the puck over the blue line regularly. His hands can be very good, but he has to get more effective at utilizing them.

Overall he has a lot to work on and will need plenty of development time. I don't think I would take this kid any higher than 18-20. After that he is certainly worth a shot. At the 30th pick I like him a lot. Why not. He has big question marks but he does have a piece to his game that is elite and you aren't going to find elite elements at 30th overall more times than not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad