At 30th Overall the Red Wings Select Centre Joe Veleno

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
curious where you guys think this guy slots into a team prospect ranking at this point

I assume Zadina is the landslide pick for 1st with Rasmussen probably comfortably in second

where does Veleno fit in? above Hronek and Cholowksi?between them in whichever order? comfortably in 5th? later than that? I assume anyone we draft in the second will have enough detractors that Veleno is comfortably ahead of them in any sort of list

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'd probably give this pick a B grade. I am torn on him falling like he did. Part of me thinks there were enough teams that passed on him to warrant being skeptical, particularly with the criticism of his not having elite skill. On the other hand you can never have enough centers and if Rasmussen doesn't end up being an NHL center this could end up being a good pick for us. I still feel strongly that we should have pursued a trade to move up and get one of the d-men that were available in the first round. However with that being said we are pretty awful at developing d-men so would we have picked one that ended up being a really good NHL d-man? With Miller and Merkley they both need a decent amount of development and we are flat out awful at developing defensemen. Moving up to draft Bouchard or Dobson would have been difficult, however once we had Zadina I would have liked to see us aggressively pursue options to trade up.

So I do like this pick but I also have some concerns about going another year without addressing the biggest organizational shortcoming. At the end of the day I'm going to be OK with them punting with the assumption that Holland will get one more draft next summer before we will have someone else running the organization. Let that guy address the defense.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
A lot of teams, especially high end play-off teams, are looking for relatively quick impact to fill a void. That is part of the reason a player like Veleno can drop.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He didnt score a tonne with st Johns and its looks like his numbers didnt improve like crazy from year one to year 2, but he went from like the 6th top scorer to the teams top guy. As soon as he got traded to drummondville and had guys to play with (since hes a play maker) he lit it up.

Who knows if he'll be a stud but at 30 thats a really good pick. Cant blame them for not drafting D when the draft worked out this way

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I really love this pick. People hear "lacks high end skill" and assume that means his offense is lacking. This is a guy who had over 70 points. His playmaking is excellent and he's fast. I think Larkin and Veleno could be our Bergeron and Krejci.

Reactions: Frk It

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I really love this pick. People hear "lacks high end skill" and assume that means his offense is lacking. This is a guy who had over 70 points. His playmaking is excellent and he's fast. I think Larkin and Veleno could be our Bergeron and Krejci.

I don't mind this pick at all. I think getting him where he was taken is great value.

If he ends up a solid NHLer, thats a great pick at 30.

I didn't really have him on my radar because I didn't want him with the 6th and figured he'd been gone by 30.

But from early hype, I've followed him. Good player.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
curious where you guys think this guy slots into a team prospect ranking at this point

I assume Zadina is the landslide pick for 1st with Rasmussen probably comfortably in second

where does Veleno fit in? above Hronek and Cholowksi?between them in whichever order? comfortably in 5th? later than that? I assume anyone we draft in the second will have enough detractors that Veleno is comfortably ahead of them in any sort of list

My list would be:
1. Zadina
2.Hronek
3.Veleno
4.Cholowski
5.Rasmussen
6.Berggren
7. Saarijarvi
8.McIsaac
9.Lindstrom
10.Kortkansalo

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Hoping Veleno plays this season with a chip on his shoulder and sets the Q on Fire

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

Zadina
Rasmussen
Hronek
Veleno
Cholo

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
1. Zadina
2.Hronek
3. Rasmussen
4.Cholowski
5.Veleno
6.Berggren
7. McIsaac
8. Saarijarvi
9. Lindstrom
10. Hicketts

that prospect list looks sooooooooooooooooo much better than it did 48 hours ago , holy ****

I'll enjoy having a player of Zadina's calibre on the prospect list for a few months whilst it is still possible.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
He didnt score a tonne with st Johns and its looks like his numbers didnt improve like crazy from year one to year 2, but he went from like the 6th top scorer to the teams top guy. As soon as he got traded to drummondville and had guys to play with (since hes a play maker) he lit it up.

Yeah in 2017 the St Johns had a stacked team that went to the Memorial cup semi finals. This season St Johns lost 13 players to NHL camps. They went from QMJHL Champs to 2nd to last place. Thats brutal.

Still he had a respectable 31 points in 31 games. Was on pace for a higher point total than in 2016 on a gutted team.

Post trade though he posted 48 points in 33 games and 11 points in 10 playoff games. Top 10 in points, 3rd in assists. Pretty solid numbers, needs to work on his shot for sure though.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
8471794.jpg

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He's faster, and I'd say he has a better upside.
Ever since we lost that guy team went downhill. Love the fact that he is good defensively. I know we have not very good defence core, so they need help from forwards

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

We will get the polls going here shortly. I am kind of on the fence about starting them before July 1.

Though we don't really expect to be active in the free agent market, just I know it has disappointed some of our posters in the past when we immediately start the rankings and they don't get to discuss the team more before July 1.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

You do realize that the Helm comparison is not the insult you think it is, right?

Helm quite literally is what teams want. Inexhaustible motor, speed to burn, willingness to go to dirty areas, etc. Helm is used because his intangibles are fantastic.

That’s why the comment is generally “Helm with X”. Larkin is Helm with hands. Veleno could be Helm with playmaking ability. Hell, if Darren Helm could have learned to finish the breakaways he gets.. he would be a stud himself.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
We will get the polls going here shortly. I am kind of on the fence about starting them before July 1.

Though we don't really expect to be active in the free agent market, just I know it has disappointed some of our posters in the past when we immediately start the rankings and they don't get to discuss the team more before July 1.

If you want my input, I'd prefer it a bit later during the down time of the summer. Spread things out a bit.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

1. Zadina
2. Hronek
3. Cholowski
4. Veleno
5. Rasmussen
6. Berggren
7. McIsaac
8. Svechnikov

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Remember when people said Larkin was Helm with some hands? That scared the crap out of a lot of people, including me. I'm not concerned with Veleno yet. I think this guy has had a magnifying glass on him since he was 14. Over-scouted for sure. I think he can be a legit 2C.

Reactions: 21 Savage

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Larkin will help Veleno a lot. Similar makeup mentally and as players from everything I understand.

The Wings went skill this year, but they went with a bunch of high character guys as well. Our first four picks are hockey junkies with high hockey IQs from everything I read. They fit the group of younger players we have been drafting which is encouraging for team chemistry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad