Prospect Info: At 27th Overall The Predators Select Zachary L'Heureux

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Yeah, you can't use hindsight to bash Poile for never getting top forwards and say he's too passive in the draft. Then be pissy about this move.

Reactions: PredsV82

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Hey guys,

I’ll chime.

I met this kid called Zach L’Heureux before he turned 14 years old, he was on our team for the provincial summer tournament that year. First thing he did was come up us, shake our hands and introduce himself. Just a humble polite kid, he’s played on the edge his whole life and he acknowledges it. That’s his game, he does everything.

I remember in a drill, first practice. I didnt like his effort, told him to turn it up a notch…. He turns and says ok, haven’t seen that too often, what does he do ? Goes harder and the intensity doesn’t drop from there on. He’s a hard worker, he listens and he’ll do what it takes.

He’s overcome adversity, comes from good people who are down to earth. I remember when he got blocked from playing a year up in midget after having made the team, (last minute hockey Quebec decided they wouldn’t allow him or any 14 year old to play a year up that year) he reached out, he wasn’t thrilled that night.

Turning point for him, he was already on quite the rise, he could have easily pouted and said f*** it, instead he accepted that it wouldn’t matter in a few years and it was less pressure. Kept his head down and look where he is now….

he’s an awesome kid, a great player who will play in the league some day and you guys will love him. If he keeps working hard and pushing through obstacles the sky really is the limit.

fun fact, when we had him at 13 he certainly wasn’t the best player there, he wasn’t seen as one of the best QC players until he was 15. He just kept working and getting better, and for my money… he’s going to do it again.

You guys will love him, he was a pleasure to coach and work it.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
There is a difference between a tough hockey player and a dirty hockey player. If he turns out to be another Marchand, Wilson or Perry , then no thanks. They tend toward dirty play from time to time. I don’t care what their stats are. If, however, he turns out to be like Weber, Walker or Boughner, then that’s right down the right alley for the Preds; tough minded players that are fearless and protect their territory and teammates. Aggressive and generally hated by opponents and road crowds while drawing the line between legal and illegal play. That’s a difficult chore and a kid(he’s 18) needs guidance and control. Time will tell but the Poile team knows a lot about his nature. We’ll see how this works out. But tough minded players is one thing the Preds lack.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
There is a difference between a tough hockey player and a dirty hockey player. If he turns out to be another Marchand, Wilson or Perry , then no thanks. They tend toward dirty play from time to time. I don’t care what their stats are. If, however, he turns out to be like Weber, Walker or Boughner, then that’s right down the right alley for the Preds; tough minded players that are fearless and protect their territory and teammates. Aggressive and generally hated by opponents and road crowds while drawing the line between legal and illegal play. That’s a difficult chore and a kid(he’s 18) needs guidance and control. Time will tell but the Poile team knows a lot about his nature. We’ll see how this works out. But tough minded players is one thing the Preds lack.

So as long as L'Heureux only bounces a guy's face off the glass after the whistle like Shea did, it's all good? Hell, Shea Weber received supplemental discipline in this last post season. Scotty Walker got in trouble for head butting an opposing player.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
So as long as L'Heureux only bounces a guy's face off the glass after the whistle like Shea did, it's all good? Hell, Shea Weber received supplemental discipline in this last post season. Scotty Walker got in trouble for head butting an opposing player.
Oh, please! Weber was not a dirty player. That was an isolated, deserving incident and I agree he shouldn’t have done it.
upload_2021-7-24_10-58-25.png

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Oh, please! Weber was not a dirty player. That was an isolated, deserving incident and I agree he shouldn’t have done it.View attachment 455788

While not even looking into the context of what L'Heureux was suspended for (since fines aren't an option in jr hockey) you excuse Weber's multiple times receiving supplemental discipline in the NHL and suspension during the world's (again where fines aren't an option) because you don't see him as "dirty".

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
While not even looking into the context of what L'Heureux was suspended for (since fines aren't an option in jr hockey) you excuse Weber's multiple times receiving supplemental discipline in the NHL and suspension during the world's (again where fines aren't an option) because you don't see him as "dirty".
Done

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Just to continue to play devil's advocate a little bit, even though I do like the pick, I think the main caution here is that you get a kid who is stronger and works harder and battles harder than most kids his age... so you come back to the "upside" question. How much room does he still have to grow? That's the question I will be wondering about. Tootoo or Hartman or guys like that have battled and worked hard too. But do you pick them in the 1st round, or pass up drafting 2 other players in the 2nd to get a player like them?

I don't think it's wrong to raise this kind of question and ponder it a little bit, especially as we roll into the 2nd round and get a sense of who would have been on the board at #39 and 50. They probably batted such questions around the draft table too before putting him top-20 on their draft list in the end.
Read this interview with the prospect himself being asked about the suspensions this past season before you makeup your mind.

‘Extremely competitive’ prospect L'Heureux aims to emulate Tkachuk, Marchand - TSN.ca

He is modeling his game after Matthew Tkachuk and Brad Marchand.

One of the mitigating factors that has to be looked at with regards to the suspensions this past season is we have a guy that plays playoff style hockey every shift going against the same five opponents all season long in his draft year and trying to make an impact.

We are discussing a 17-18 year old. Add in other stressors in what was admittedly a stressful year and I’m willing to let him take a deep breath, come to camp, and learn what it takes to be an NHL player. Sitting on the sidelines or in the penalty box for undisciplined play doesn’t get you very far.

I think he’s excited to learn and move forward.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Feeling better about the pick but am concerned about the discipline issues and mediocre passing skills.
that’s why we were able to get him at #27.

i like the pick from what i have read. it’s all a crapshoot anyways after about the 5th overall pick. statistically at least.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
This guy sounds like TooToo Two with a little more offensive firepower. Hope he turns out to be just as exciting to watch as TooToo was.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
This guy sounds like TooToo Two with a little more offensive firepower. Hope he turns out to be just as exciting to watch as TooToo was.

You can't run around like Tootoo did anymore. Many of those hits Toots was famous for aren't allowed anymore and with good reason now that we understand brain injuries more in depth. However, if he did turn into something resembling Marchand/Tkachuk that'd be amazing. Those type of guys get opponents off their game and really twist the proverbial knife into them when they can score or create a goal afterwards.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
I’m happy with him, I was kinda worried they end up taking Raty because he used to be rated really high, but getting a guy I still would’ve been happy with even if we took him 19th, much better having him than two maybe’s with 2nd Round picks which are hits and misses for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad