Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'm pretty ambivalent on this pick. There's a lot of swinging and less sure hits in the later stages of the 1st round; just have to hope that the guys did their homework. They know how to identify good forwards, but outside of Trouba and Morrissey, leave a lot of questions around defense.

*crosses fingers and hopes for good D tomorrow*

:naughty:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I'll take a top ten considered talent with character issues at 24 every day of the week.

I have a suspicion character issues means he doesn't have the personality of a block of wood that scouts rave about.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Yea it wasn't like Laine who was younger and seemed to have put it behind him by his draft year. This stuff happened this past season and it wasn't an isolated incident from what I have heard. It is the only thing holding me back from Being really pumped with the pick at #24. I do like his talent and it's nice to have a power forward again but it seems a bit odd for TNSE to take a risk on current character issues after the challenges we had with Kane?

I will hope for the best he looks good in his highlight compilations.

I completely understand the concerns. That said while Chevy deserves his share of criticism I think the one thing the Jets are most concerned with in drafting is character. Certainly issues have been raised but I would be shocked if they didn't vet this kid appropriately. A repeat of Evander would be quite a surprise.

I'm going with hopeful optimism and seeing this kid as Wheeler's replacement down the road, even with a lengthy timeline to same production levels.

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
It probably has a bigger impact than most of us realize and likely makes trading a real challenge for Chevy. I think he faces a lot of undeserved criticism when he has to deal with a lot more obstacles than other GMs do. It's quite possible that any other person in the role of GM for the Winnipeg Jets would have not been able to pull off all the trades or free agent signings that the fans expect Chevy to do. His job would no doubt be a lot easier in an American city where players could pay less taxes and not complain about the cold weather. Likewise, someone who is considered a great GM elsewhere may not look so great in Winnipeg if they faced the same issues that Chevy does.

:jets

You mean it's not as easy as making trades on an x-box one or a ps4? A lot of the posters here are going to be shocked! :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I completely understand the concerns. That said while Chevy deserves his share of criticism I think the one thing the Jets are most concerned with in drafting is character. Certainly issues have been raised but I would be shocked if they didn't vet this kid appropriately. A repeat of Evander would be quite a surprise.

I'm going with hopeful optimism and seeing this kid as Wheeler's replacement down the road, even with a lengthy timeline to same production levels.

Yea I am with you. Give him time to work out the kinks back home and hopefully mature a bit and grow through the issues.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
The Hockey Prospector Draft Book has him at 5. He's what they had to say:
#5. Kristian Vesalainen, LW
–
HPK, SM - liiga
6’ 3â€
209 lbs
Comparable :
Max Pacioretty
Upside :
Top - Line, Two-Way Winger
Floor :
2nd
Line Two-Way Winger

I liked what I saw from Kristian Vesalainen last year as an underage player at the U18 tournament but I certainly wasn't convinced then that he was going to be a first round pick. However, he has made tremendous strides and improved quite a bit since that time. He was always a very strong skater but to me the major difference is that he seems to want the puck on his stick and keeps possession more than he used to and also drives
the net more which is what you want to see with this type of player.
I think this is a player who compares well to a guy like Max Pacioretty and that's really who he reminds me of out there on the ice even though
I'm not convinced he's going to be as good of a goalscorer as MaxPac but in terms of Top-6 forward/offensive impact, I think that this comparable is right on. Vesalainen has a great combination of size, skating ability and compete. He's probably one or two years away from an NHL
debut.

I can't imagine this guy as anything worse than a 2nd line LW with the possibility to be a lot more than that but he's the kind of player that can play anywhere in your lineup. He's a very safe pick
and I think he's going to be a real good player and that's why I have
him ranked so highly.

Kristian Vesalainen
Center
Born Jun 1 1999
Height 6.03
--
Weight 207

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
didn't like the last 2 draft nights at all
This guy seems like one of the BPA where
Jets picked though

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015
It probably has a bigger impact than most of us realize and likely makes trading a real challenge for Chevy. I think he faces a lot of undeserved criticism when he has to deal with a lot more obstacles than other GMs do. It's quite possible that any other person in the role of GM for the Winnipeg Jets would have not been able to pull off all the trades or free agent signings that the fans expect Chevy to do. His job would no doubt be a lot easier in an American city where players could pay less taxes and not complain about the cold weather. Likewise, someone who is considered a great GM elsewhere may not look so great in Winnipeg if they faced the same issues that Chevy does.

Completely agree with this post, and agree that so many feel to realize these are FACTS. And just want to close there eyes and say who cares, its his job, he needs to do more, he needs to be better........Zzzzzzzzzz. So boring already. And going by the poll, once again, the silent Majority is far ahead. Not bad for apparently screwing up the XD and ruining our team with the trade back.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
The fact Chevy said that there are different options available for European players I wonder if they are thinking of the Moose next season or the season after as a possibility? He already has a big frame.

Edit: Are his CHL rights still owned by Flint?

Last edited:

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg

You're right on. Too easy to complain about Chevy when it's difficult to see everything he has to face. I'm a big Chevy fan!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I was so pissed by how that draft (nothing to do with Vesalainen) and the XD's impact on it played out that I had to a take a break for a couple of hours from the Jets. My thoughts on this prospect- I am in the 'unsure' camp. I had read a lot about him pre-draft mainly from Mark Edwards's book and podcast and he seemed to not like him much. While his draft-1 numbers were good, I am extremely concerned by his draft year numbers especially those in the SuperElit. He has a lot of questionss that he needs to answer next season. Other than Logan Stanley, of all the Jets 1st round picks, this pick has the most questions about him

So far so good. Got nice value at #24 and more than likely have a future NHLer. Like the pick. If we stayed at #13 likely we have a defenseman, but no more likely to be an impact player then the player we selected but in a position of greater need.

Ok let's not do this. He is not the same tier as a player we would have acquired at 13. The player we would have acquired at 13 would be an objectively better prospect. I know now lots of people have motivation to pump Vesalainen's tires to somehow make him look like that but to get the objective truth all you need to look at is the draft thread that had been running for months before we made that pick. When we knew we were drafting 13th I don't think anyone was even bringing his name for consideration as our pick even when we were talking about taking other forwards.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The fact Chevy said that there are different options available for European players I wonder if they are thinking of the Moose next season or the season after as a possibility? He already has a big frame.

Edit: Are his CHL rights still owned by Flint?

He can go to AHL, can they surround him with good offensive talent?

Chevy said he had him in his 13rd group already, so that way was happy, but then again he missed a potential top4.

Thanks. Definitely a decent #24 pick. And you can't have enough Finn's ;)

Never. :)

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
The Hockey Prospector Draft Book has him at 5. He's what they had to say:
#5. Kristian Vesalainen, LW
–
HPK, SM - liiga
6’ 3â€
209 lbs
Comparable :
Max Pacioretty
Upside :
Top - Line, Two-Way Winger
Floor :
2nd
Line Two-Way Winger

I liked what I saw from Kristian Vesalainen last year as an underage player at the U18 tournament but I certainly wasn't convinced then that he was going to be a first round pick. However, he has made tremendous strides and improved quite a bit since that time. He was always a very strong skater but to me the major difference is that he seems to want the puck on his stick and keeps possession more than he used to and also drives
the net more which is what you want to see with this type of player.
I think this is a player who compares well to a guy like Max Pacioretty and that's really who he reminds me of out there on the ice even though
I'm not convinced he's going to be as good of a goalscorer as MaxPac but in terms of Top-6 forward/offensive impact, I think that this comparable is right on. Vesalainen has a great combination of size, skating ability and compete. He's probably one or two years away from an NHL
debut.

I can't imagine this guy as anything worse than a 2nd line LW with the possibility to be a lot more than that but he's the kind of player that can play anywhere in your lineup. He's a very safe pick
and I think he's going to be a real good player and that's why I have
him ranked so highly.

Kristian Vesalainen
Center
Born Jun 1 1999
Height 6.03
--
Weight 207

Was he a Center as well or just a misprint?

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
He can go to AHL, can they surround him with good offensive talent?

Chevy said he had him in his 13rd group already, so that way was happy, but then again he missed a potential top4.

Never. :)

He could possibly play with Roslovic.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
That's just how Finns talk, they're very stoic and to-the-point, they can seem disinterested in any conversation :laugh:

haha yes we are, when someone asks you a question, you're supposed to answer honestly even if you don't have nice things to say.
Add Finnish media training: "just be yourself, it'll be fine" and here we are (again) :laugh:

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
I was so pissed by how that draft (nothing to do with Vesalainen) and the XD's impact on it played out that I had to a take a break for a couple of hours from the Jets. My thoughts on this prospect- I am in the 'unsure' camp. I had read a lot about him pre-draft mainly from Mark Edwards's book and podcast and he seemed to not like him much. While his draft-1 numbers were good, I am extremely concerned by his draft year numbers especially those in the SuperElit. He has a lot of questionss that he needs to answer next season. Other than Logan Stanley, of all the Jets 1st round picks, this pick has the most questions about him

Ok let's not do this. He is not the same tier as a player we would have acquired at 13. The player we would have acquired at 13 would be an objectively better prospect. I know now lots of people have motivation to pump Vesalainen's tires to somehow make him look like that but to get the objective truth all you need to look at is the draft thread that had been running for months before we made that pick. When we knew we were drafting 13th I don't think anyone was even bringing his name for consideration as our pick even when we were talking about taking other forwards.

It is entirely reasonable to consider him to be in the same relative tier as the players that were being talked about when we still had the 13th pick. The fact of the matter is that the everybody was focused on d-men and centres so none of the wingers were ever being seriously considered by anybody. By trading back we did not sacrifice pick quality in my opinion but the opportunity to pick in a an area of greater need was clearly lost.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
This picture pretty much sums up my day:

IOORLsQn1EMQkEpA3Vz8U4N0KXp0OXJ9YN2Iv4XjWg3OfsxDs1vLIO_ZQGw0dz7uF-9gBjmb-lp1A4ErlK2ls3rSh5cCbxYrjipi66DsSDH5Pp_Dk9jPq92euxNJyua4DOUAvejEODC3AbdpPptoy4LoXvChapWv63HJ71gHk0I0Lf3fU_qmuuMrwcEZB2M_ovPeraKqV7nGwbv2oNSvzrzzNYFYxZygZocrbn95nlnRzH6Bd1JE4MBYx79jFSMIQ680Gsb-YeL8fakkoX5qzsfRWrIgDXJ4UUTWavqFbKfgeHuII1J4XvDKRFh8wyYT30t_JeetwDkLu0R6fmifeMxpbMabGmP6kH77DEcIXZnQV7kp1CWhSJJkLL464DEnoM0hkV5ldZVwFrR5RxY30IKTesEPK8abpOk3Dn6gHCy3bQXI9srdKiuUwFV6hBg9WS5HptvSS-gq1JQFtZE5ZURDwnXKiCd-5rctP0ACN2BTNIPWAzKxfwP9VsXVH19WB1bhufs41nvFXgf7OcMwwI_euLjbt_RdA439qSSmW00O3d48DVaLJ1WvubgVBLaIN3ns8iJN2k9sHIZ-SaUsBi7xrSCaj6eDfcxRDUwLdB5QqdprzORxGtZHU-lz1Bj0FRXx_2Y4cv3WfIl_2Y8OyjYhxXuTvRZ8LMrOP_xfLw=w872-h490-no

Nothing at all against Vesalainen as a prospect, he seems like a good winger, but we sure don't have any shortage of good wingers, do we? He's ours now, so I'll root for him, but we really needed a defenseman, and I think there's a decent chance Valimaki can play in the NHL this year. I'm even sadder than when the Flames took Kylington and also when LA took Pearson.

This is exactly what I was afraid of happening when we flipped with Vegas.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Finding some similarities to Armia, big, skilled, fast and solid puck control, struggles finishing, producing

Armia isn't fast. This kid is burner.

I like the pick. There is some nice upside here, but I am not confident he'll get there. Can he learn to beast like Jagr versus grown men? Can he blast into corners and steal pucks for his teammates. My gut says an outcome closer to Viktor Stalberg is most likely.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He could possibly play with Roslovic.

If someone like Roslovic is going to be there for close to the full year I'd be fine with that.
I don't want him to be the only offensive force on a team, need to build his confidence and let him dominate offensively with good linemates.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
It is entirely reasonable to consider him to be in the same relative tier as the players that were being talked about when we still had the 13th pick. The fact of the matter is that the everybody was focused on d-men and centres so none of the wingers were ever being seriously considered by anybody. By trading back we did not sacrifice pick quality in my opinion but the opportunity to pick in a an area of greater need was clearly lost.

Edit: Nevermind, I don't wanna get into this in the prospect's thread, it's not fair to the prospect. I suggest you search through the draft thread posts in the last couple of months and see what names were popping up, dmen, forwards and goalies.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I wanted to add...

The no trade excuse for Chevy is mostly garbage. Very few of the players traded this offseason had one. Players are ineligible to receive a NT or NM until they are 27.

TVR and Schlemko could have been had for peanuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad