Prospect Info: Matthew "The Bison" Coronato (13 Overall 2021) - Signed to ELC

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I like to think that Craig Button calls Todd and is like "gimme somethin, we're brothers!!! I'm gonna be on the tv in an hour" and Todd says no

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This was a great pick, I mean it’s not Lysell but I love it. Sillinger, Svechkov, Coronato or Lysell all would have been excellent. I think he could be a similar prospect to Caufield, there isn’t much to not like. He’s got the speed, shot, IQ, 2-way game, playmaking, hes 100% gonna play, he has top 6, possibly topline upside. I agree that his game would mesh well with Tkachuk’s. Well done Flames.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This was a great pick, I mean it’s not Lysell but I love it. Sillinger, Svechkov, Coronato or Lysell all would have been excellent. I think he could be a similar prospect to Caufield, there isn’t much to not like. He’s got the speed, shot, IQ, 2-way game, playmaking, hes 100% gonna play, he has top 6, possibly topline upside. I agree that his game would mesh well with Tkachuk’s. Well done Flames.
Lysell was the guy I didn't want. Would have been fine with all of your others though. Nice pickup. Not a head scratcher like Boltmann last year at least.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Lysell was the guy I didn't want. Would have been fine with all of your others though. Nice pickup. Not a head scratcher like Boltmann last year at least.

I think GM’s will kick themselves for passing on Lysell. And honestly, he went to the perfect place. Pasta got to play Bergy as a rookie and he could just focus on his offence and creating with his skill. Lysell will get that as well.

Another player that I really liked was Rosen. He reminds me of Connor.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think GM’s will kick themselves for passing on Lysell. And honestly, he went to the perfect place. Pasta got to play Bergy as a rookie and he could just focus on his offence and creating with his skill. Lysell will get that as well.

Another player that I really liked was Rosen. He reminds me of Connor.
I mean Lysell is skilled. He just reminds me of Schremp, Omark ect. A skilled guy who showed no progression. I liked Rosen at the U18s. He looked like a top 5 pick there. Of course his stats the rest of the year look like a 4th rounder. Hard to say what he really is for me since I only saw his U18 play.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I like to think that Craig Button calls Todd and is like "gimme somethin, we're brothers!!! I'm gonna be on the tv in an hour" and Todd says no

On the contrary, I knew we were gunning for Coronato the moment I saw Craig's final ranking. He was high on Coronato and Svechkov and low on Lysell, so I was like, OK, that's the Flames' draft board then. I'm guessing whatever rumours are swirling behind the scenes about Lysell's attitude reached Craig via Tod and that's why he was lower on Lysell than most other independent draft analysts.

Very happy with the Coronato pick. I just hope he outgrows college hockey quickly and decides to go pro in two years instead of three or four. One year is unrealistic given Harvard's developmental track record, but any more than two and waiting until free agency to sign with an American team may begin to look appealing to him. Two is the sweet spot where the Flames will have enough leverage to sign him IMO.

Good on the Flames for a. betting on offensive upside and b. trusting their judgement and making the pick purely based on what they see on the ice instead of letting the spectre of Adam Fox scare them off. This is a very typical Flames pick, in a good way.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Craig Button was high on Jankowski

since then I knew Craig’s list and the Flames list are almost the same

just like a guy plagiarized in college, he just made a few cosmetic changes

Last edited:

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I don't think I can trust him. Something dodgy about him- just a first moment observation that anyone is capable of- judge me if you wish.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
What rumours have there been?
I think someone mentioned them in the draft, but that was the first and last time hearing about it.

From what I understand he was unhappy with his ice time at Frölunda and demanded a trade. I assume the way he went about it was confrontational enough to earn him a reputation, or perhaps there’s more to it that hasn’t reached the public.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think Coronato is more of a goalscorer. Not saying Mangi isn’t, but Coronato is a true sniper. We’ve lacked that for a while.

Fair. It does seems like he's a true shooter in the boeser vein, but what about the rest of the skills based on the size of the player?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Fair. It does seems like he's a true shooter in the boeser vein, but what about the rest of the skills based on the size of the player?

Actually I do like the Connor comparison too. Not exactly the same, but similar. Cammy is a good one for sure.

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad