Speculation: Assuming we don't get Matthews, who would you want to draft most in 2016?

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Now they are spewing more ******** about how good OEL would look on the Oilers... barf

Trading OEL for anyone would devastate me, even if it's a good hockey trade. Trading him to the Oilers would make me stop watching hockey.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Trading OEL for anyone would devastate me, even if it's a good hockey trade. Trading him to the Oilers would make me stop watching hockey.

I dont know if there is a good hockey trade that would involve trading OEL. As has been discussed ad nauseum on the dozens of OEL to Edmonton threads trading OEL for a centre makes the Coyotes the Oilers. Skilled forwards and NO defensemen.

If anything, the Coyotes should look at trading a young forward for a young Dman. Philly is LOADED at D prospects. The emergence of Gostisbehere could make one of their other top prospects available.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
I dont know if there is a good hockey trade that would involve trading OEL. As has been discussed ad nauseum on the dozens of OEL to Edmonton threads trading OEL for a centre makes the Coyotes the Oilers. Skilled forwards and NO defensemen.

If anything, the Coyotes should look at trading a young forward for a young Dman. Philly is LOADED at D prospects. The emergence of Gostisbehere could make one of their other top prospects available.

I realize that right now it would make absolutely zero sense to trade OEL, but that might not always be the case.

The main point I was making is I love OEL and hate the Oilers. OEL on the Oilers would be rather hard for me to stomach.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Team X wins the lottery and asks for our 1st + Domi in exchange for the Matthews pick. Do you pull the trigger?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Team X wins the lottery and asks for our 1st + Domi in exchange for the Matthews pick. Do you pull the trigger?

I'll add an Oh hell no.

1st+Duke I think I would take a very long hard look at.

Yes, that's a lot closer but it depends on what our first is. What would probably still make me hesitate though is losing the potential of Domi + Duclair chemistry for the duration of their time here.

I was happy with our C depth after Dvorak's rise and the selection of Strome so I'm not in any big hurry to go out of the way and expand that with top picks. Draft some semi-project C's to fill out the ranks in the 2nd and 3rd again.

Also I'd still think that the team with #1 would want more.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Juoolevi and Chychrun are the smart choices imo if we're outside top 4. I dont think we personally need the offence, we're stacked with prospects. I'd rather use my 2nd to get a forward.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
To be fair, it started with Edmonton and their total lack of need for a centre and desperate need for a defenseman. All that they were getting at was that there seems to be a fit somewhere IF it is Edmonton at #1. You would be set for a decade down the middle with AM and Strome.

But then the Coyotes defense instantly becomes the worst in the league without OEL.

Last night I noticed TSN or SportsNet had a piece about the NHL "Canadian Lottery 7."

The Canadian media need to hype up the draft because there isn't any Canadian teams in the playoffs. That's why they are reporting every possible scenario to get viewers to tune in. "Edmonton will trade 1st overall for OEL if they win the draft, tune in at 10 for the full details." A whole lot of Clickbait/TVbait.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Nope, not only is Domi really good but he's just too damn endearing! Offers I'd consider....

1st round + Dvorak
1st round + Duclair
Rangers 1st + Strome

Probably not enough but don't care, I don't think it's smart to give up more than 2 A assets for 1 A+ asset even though I'd really really love to have Matthews here.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Nope, not only is Domi really good but he's just too damn endearing! Offers I'd consider....

1st round + Dvorak
1st round + Duclair
Rangers 1st + Strome

Probably not enough but don't care, I don't think it's smart to give up more than 2 A assets for 1 A+ asset even though I'd really really love to have Matthews here.

I wouldnt want to give up any of those 3

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Yes, that's a lot closer but it depends on what our first is. What would probably still make me hesitate though is losing the potential of Domi + Duclair chemistry for the duration of their time here.

Also I'd still think that the team with #1 would want more.

1st round + Dvorak
1st round + Duclair
Rangers 1st + Strome

I would not give up Duclair and our first for Matthews. I'm biased but if you're not going to give up Domi then why give up Duclair? The fact of the matter is that Duclair is right on par with Domi. Even though Tippet doesn't see it we as a fanbase should.

Our 1st + Dvo I would do or the NYR 1st + Strome I would do.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The fact of the matter is that Duclair is right on par with Domi. Even though Tippet doesn't see it we as a fanbase should.

I don't think so really. Domi puts in a more consistent backcheck effort. Domi is a better passer and has better vision by far. Domi has better hockey sense. Domi has shown he can be a limited use weapon on the PK.

I agree Duclair gets jerked around too much but one could argue Domi has gotten even less favorable linemates when he was stuck for a couple months with Vermette/Boedker.

And besides that I was mainly thinking in a value context. There's no question Domi holds more trade value.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I worry ownership may force GM to make a trade that included Strome and our first. Maybe more.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd do Dvo and our first and an add. Beyond that I'd have very little interest. We're already too shallow. I don't want NHL ready guys to go with our high pick to upgrade. Whoever falls to us should be a decent piece (or would return a quality NHL player).

Not terribly interested in thinning out our talent at forward in the NHL as it is bad enough already. Duclair just got 20 goals while having his chain yanked. Domi was easily our most dynamic player. That's pretty impressive to me. Strome is on the roster next year.

We should be adding NHL quality players, not trading them and other assets to slightly improve (Strome-->Matthews). Are we a better team with Matthews? Yes, but the sooner we get replace castoffs with NHL quality players, the better we'll be. If we didn't have glaring holes all through the depth chart, I'd be all for trading all sorts of riches for him.

Also, can we flip our pick for Trouba or Meyers or a similar young NHL quality D? That's something I'd look at before moving up to #1.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
I worry ownership may force GM to make a trade that included Strome and our first. Maybe more.

Heh, I was thinking about that just a little while ago myself.

If I remember right they said they'd let Maloney handle all roster moves, but maybe this will be something they can't pass up.

The potential saving grace of a hypothetical Strome + 1st trade is elite dmen can be found in later rounds more commonly than forwards. Though we would really need our scouts to key in on dmen this draft, plus some luck that one of them can become a player that can anchor our second pairing or be a shutdown dman capable of playing on our top pairing.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

That or an OEL trade should be Don's last day on the job. Either because he's fired for foolishness or resigns because of foolishness.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
We can trade up to 2nd or 3rd for less of the cost of Matthews. The focus should be more on getting either pick if the team doesn't win any of the Top 3.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

Is Matthew a generational player? Is he on a par with McJesus? If so, its worth it. If not, no way.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It wasn't rhetorical. Matthews is being trumped a a superior player. Is he in McDavid's league?

He's near Eichel. Maybe ahead. Slight notch ahead of Strome maybe as well but keep in mind how far Strome has come this year and remember Strome is #1 ranked prospect according to THN Future Watch.

You'd be offering a near equivalent C and a great additional piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad