GDT: Assorted Cutlery Vs Electoral College - 2pm

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Benson again with good defensive effort, was the first time that I noticed him going to the other teams crease all the time, kid is not afraid.
In general, we've started seeing that more from many of the Sabres the past year-plus For too long prior to that, both vets and youngsters have treated the mid-to-low-slot and crease like Chernobyl in summer of 1986.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015

Thank goodness they got RyJo signed.

Looks pretty similar to last year. All in on offense, defense as an afterthought.

Not a surprise as this was a line up of prospects for the most part.

I wonder if we'll see any kind of focus on defensive play once the line up has more NHLers in it?

Reactions: Jim Bob

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
So nobody was a positive defensively. Am I reading that right?
It's ranked. The goal is to be further right than left. The graph is complimentary to the people at the top. I think one thing missing is TOI, which would compliment this nicely.

Also, for sure Washington was line matching. They kept getting the matchup they wanted with the Milano line. Pathetic for preseason but they didn't want to send the fans home without a W I guess.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Those results point toward the visual of the Jost line doing a lot of good things (as in playing like pro players, moving the puck from defense to offense, not leaving a lot in their own zone) compared to the rest. There were still a lot of cross-seam and slot chances that at some point someone somewhere is going to have to figure out how to prevent. Thankfully, they have another couple weeks of camp to work on their d-zone stuff and of course this was a roster filled with depth guys rather than the full squad.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
The whole roster appears to be the fring players. Was capitals the same?

If so don’t read too much from this game.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The whole roster appears to be the fring players. Was capitals the same?

If so don’t read too much from this game.
Caps commentator remarked "Sabres have a lot of regulars" which wasn't true. Caps had one top 6 line at least playing - but obviously had the big guns out. I think the highest offensive player on the Sabres roster from last year was JJP. Otherwise, you were looking at the Rochester Americans with a few sabres role players.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Caps commentator remarked "Sabres have a lot of regulars" which wasn't true. Caps had one top 6 line at least playing - but obviously had the big guns out. I think the highest offensive player on the Sabres roster from last year was JJP. Otherwise, you were looking at the Rochester Americans with a few sabres role players.
The roster last night was a out 1/3 of the main roster

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It was akin to a Bears-Amerks playoff rematch, complete with McIlrath blasting Rousek into the boards with his shoulder to his head.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
One thing I liked from the game that I haven't seen mentioned: The fact that 2 of the goals came from net front presence and deflections.

Having rewatched some of last year's games over the last couple of weeks, I've been reminded how rare that was. It's scary to think how many goals we could have scored last year if, instead of standing 3 ft to the side, we'd had people consistently in front of the goalie.

Along with focus on D coverage that the players have mentioned, really hoping net front presence is also something they've emphasized early this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad