New York Islanders: Assistant coaches are Doug Houda and John MacLean (Brian Wiseman will not be joining the coaching staff)

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Houda was with Detroit as an assistant most recently and Wiseman comes from Edmonton as an assistant. Doing a quick search I haven’t found and connection to Lambert or Lou.

Houda played here for a couple of years in the 90s.

Wasn’t Houda a teammate of Lambert’s in Detroit?

Reactions: Islander Class

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Houda is a good coach, was the Bruins D coach when they won the cup. Wiseman works with forwards/general offense.
Houda definitely has the resume you want, 15+ years experience as an NHL assistant coach and a cup win as one. Wiseman seems like a bit more of a wild card with most of his coaching experience at the NCAA level and his few years of NHL experience being with the Oilers, who had great offense but also had a couple talents we will in no way have a comparable for. But I will say, usually guys with that much experience in juniors or college are good at working with and developing young players, so hopefully he will be able to help our young forwards that have been struggling.

Last edited:
Reactions: xECK29x

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
Good hires tbh. Wiseman was pretty good at helping a guy like Ryan Mcleod last season for edmonton alongside Woodcroft. Lets take a gamble and see what happens

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Here’s one from the Who Cares file . I believe the one full season Houda was here as a player was the year of the Palffy / Green smootch.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
1659038774421.gif

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
John MacLean is not effective at running power plays. His career success, in terms of PP% rank league wide is not good. I can’t understand how he continues to get jobs. He’s been a ineffective at every stop. And he just never seems to be out of a job for long. I really don’t get it.

He shows up and PPs get worse. He leaves and they get better. That’s the story of his career as a PP coach. They took it away from him in AZ. Essentially got demoted before got fired. AZ was a cluster. But New Jersey and Carolina weren’t. And they had firepower. But relative PP to EV success was not great.

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
Lou likes his Devils like Wang liked his good old boys club. I don't like this at all.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Will say MacLean is an excellent communicator. Comes from being a good broadcaster. And he was a heckuva player. The players seem to like him. But those same players have said negative things about structure and specialty teams in AZ after leaving (Tocchet was supremely likable and wholly inept, also). So it’s possible that MacLean won’t be so bad if he has a stronger head coach. It was a miserable combination with Tocchet. That’s for sure.

Reactions: Seph

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad