Assign responsibility for the Oilers

The order of most to blame to least to blame is…

• Total voters

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
1) Tippett continues to make questionable choices and refuses to adapt during games.

2) The players continue to fall flat when it matters most

3) Holland didn't get us the right pieces to make an impact, but he's got a lot of damage to undo in a short time so far.

That's my order of blame.

space321

May 11, 2011
Management, no doubt. Starting with Bob Nicholson and then Chiarelli and now Holland.

Coaching/players is a wash, some nights is coaching some nights it's players. Like, can we really blame guys like Neal/Chiasson for being not good enough? It's not like I had expectations for our bottom 6 to not suck. It's also not Tippett's fault that we have literally no wingers and he's forced to play 29 and 97 together to have a chance at winning. Sometimes Tippett does make Pejorative Slured decisions, and players too like Archibald tonight, but the majority of the responsibility is on management. We literally have not improved as a team since the McDavid draft.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Peter Chiarelli.

Rarely has a team been as handcuffed as the Oilers, almost exclusively due to him.

In a way, Holland's real tenure begins with this off-season. I guess we'll see what he can do.
Exactly this, chia set this club back so far it’s depressing. Roster still needs serious work. That said, I expected more this season than us looking at the jets team holding brooms.

Reactions: Smart Alek and TB12

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's a step or two above management. But looking at the options it's certainly management first. Holland has done absolutely nothing to improve the outlook of the team. His best moves have been 1 year deals. He's a ditherer.

Two years in and here are the list of roster players that he brought into the organization that are still under contract for next season:

Josh Archibald
Kyle Turris
Alex Stalock

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
It's a step or two above management. But looking at the options it's certainly management first. Holland has done absolutely nothing to improve the outlook of the team. His best moves have been 1 year deals. He's a ditherer.

Two years in and here are the list of roster players that he brought into the organization that are still under contract for next season:

Josh Archibald
Kyle Turris
Alex Stalock
Yeah, as other's have mentioned , this off season will be telling. He's been disappointing thus far. His has such an arrogant face to boot.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Peter Chiarelli, following on from Steve Tambellini. To (mis)quote Winston Churchill: Rarely have so many owed so much scorn, to so few.

There is some blame, of course, for coach Tippett, for reasons I'll get into when the Oilers lose the current series. But he has coached the club to two really solid regular seasons, so at least he's (partly) done his job well.

But Tambellini and Chiarelli double-crippled the team in ways that are still being felt.

My take on Holland is that -- despite the worrisome Kassian signing -- he is basically doing a really good job. I don't think we are going to see the real Holland-era Oilers' team until next season.

I suppose (and partly based on a TSN interview with him I watched) that at the trade deadline, Holland had to decide whether to go all-in or to let things ride and then continue with his long-term plan. Since the Oilers were doing really well at the time, he clearly decided to make only a small move and not any big ones that might then handcuff his longer-term plans. So, that actually makes sense. I mean, none of us predicted the Oilers to be down 0-3 in this series. I think from next season we'll be able to really judge the effect Holland is having.

Anyway, from now... um, Oilers in 7...??
tenor.gif

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
No one is going to like this today but first and foremost its on Chiarelli. Kosk, Neal, Russell all his moves. We had to take a roll of the dice on a 40 year old backup who ended up being a starter. Holland can only do this small plays on guys like Turris and Haas and hope they pan out.

The dire situation we are still in is because of him so first and foremost he is to blame.

Next I would say the top culprit is Tippett. He clearly is a slow learned but nonetheless learned the team is better without Neal and Chiasson. For some reason he didnt ice his best side in the firs two games. What other surprises does he have in store for game 4?

Next I would blame the passengers on the team making big money and contributing literally nothing this series: Russell, Neal, Koskinen and Kassian who can only score if hes playing with Mcdavid.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It will be 2035 and people will still be blaming chia. lol

Holland is the highest paid Gm in the league and was brought in here to creatively clear cap and rebuild the team when he has been handed a Core most gms would kill for.

He has epically failed. He is a much worse version of Tambellini. Tambo sat on his ass for years just waiting for contracts to expire and kept adding lousy bottom tier forwards and Dmen. The difference is Holland trades for all these dog players and so we have no draft picks.

If you look at Hollands ledger good moves vs bad he is in serious overdraft. He's terrible.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Coach gets a lot of blame here but in the end it is up to the players. They get paid millions to be professionals but have failed

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I been fan of the Oilers since 1980, I met Wayne and never looked back (Also a Sens fan due to relocating). Anyhow we have wasted valuable years of McJesus and Draisaitl. This team has been built horribly wrong. This should be a near cup winner right now.

The blame starts at the top with owner, GM, Coach. They assembled this mess and is time to retool and fix it the right way.

You know this is normally a convo to have when the series is over but that's now.

1. Holland needs to be put on notice, his moves have been sad honestly and nothing to brag about. He can blame the previous management but excuses are like.........

2. Tippy, one of the most over-rated coaches ever. Please tell me what he does that makes him keep his job? Nothing!

3. Core offense. The core of this team is solid but is not supported by the correct playoff style players. We lack a proper 2nd, 3rd and 4th line.

We need players who have speed, forecheck and play with energy! They need to play like each game is their last. Not floaters waiting for 1st liners to win the game for them.

2. Core Defense. The peices are in place but a serious shutdown defensive vet is needed to settle this young crew. They get frazzled way to easy under pressure.

3. Goaltending. It has been issue forever it is time to address it and stop cheaping out on it. Smith played his heart out this year and God bless him but the dude has done all he can and we need to move on to the future goaltender of this team. A true #1 is needed if they even want to try and win a SC. Smith could be backup but at his age and potential for injuries makes him a liability. Not sure if he should retire after a great season or play backup , but we need a solid backup.

4. Retool. Whoever is in charge after this season needs to cut ties with rfa's and UFA's that are not part of our core. I don't care about records or standings. Make the playoffs and a team built to go far in the playoffs should be our only goal. Think of picking up pieces from good successful teams in off-season where you can, maybe Avs, Knights, Canes and Lighting just as examples.

5. If we continue on this path the years of McDavid and Draisaitl will be wasted and they will move on. They need to be insulated by good secondary players on lines 2-4 , good defense and goaltending if we want to win a cup. Even then is not guaranteed but their are more holes in this boat right now then you can count.

I am sorry to be negative but on positive note we have the core we just need to retool fast with the right piece's.

Skate2Stick

Oct 12, 2013
I honestly can’t think of any trades Holland has made so far that I like. Maybe the Ennis trade is my favourite ?

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
I went Coaching - Management - Players

I fully expect it to flip next year to Management - Coaching - Players as this is Holland's best opportunity to make the team better and I have no faith in him doing it.

Although Holland hired Tippett so yeah maybe just Management now.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I honestly can’t think of any trades Holland has made so far that I like. Maybe the Ennis trade is my favourite ?

In terms of trading for impact players who can contribute night in and night out...Holland hasn't acquired any via trade as of yet. AA was the closest but he only played a few games here despite giving up 2 second rounders for him. Holland was too busy hunting for All Star Kyle Turris.

Reactions: Yak and Skate2Stick

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Starts from the top down. Management (moreso Chiarelli than Holland, Holland aint perfect but he's been handed an impossible situation) especially.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
It honestly starts with Katz and has since the day he bought this team. He has hired horrible management people and can’t separate the business side of things from his need to rub shoulders with his hockey heroes. If he was a competent hockey owner, we would have been rebuilt properly since ten years ago.

When he actually is ruthless and is able to separate business from sentimentality, he’s pretty effective which was proven by basically swindling the city and province into giving him a free arena.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I'm going with management, but I'm not giving any fault yet, but this offseason is important for Holland.
It will be his team.

That said. Need at least 2 better top 6 guys.
and a 3rd line that works consistently.
and we're going to need a goalie. I'd offer another 1 year for Smith to backup with another offer to be involved as a coach on whatever level when he's done.

You can fire Chiasson, Kahun, Khaira, Turris, Neal, Russell, Kosk and Nygard off to the moon.
I'm also thinking 5M+ is stupid for RNH. Need a better 5 x 5 player.

I'll get hate on this but I think Tips is ok, but just ok as a coach.... for now. Better than other before him, but I'm not sure he can get us deep in the playoffs. I don't think Hollands moves away from him. He might die on that sword.

Last edited:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
What's that old saying? Shit rolls down hill? Holland hasn't had much to work with so far but the incompetence of the former management hasn't exactly made his job easier. The revolving door of coaches is next, failure to find any kind of structure when you're constantly getting pulled in different directions. Finally you need to look at the players who aren't stepping up...*Death glare to RNH*

If shit rolls downhill, that explains the basement.

upload_2021-5-23_22-10-55.png

Skate2Stick

Oct 12, 2013
Peter Chiarelli.

Rarely has a team been as handcuffed as the Oilers, almost exclusively due to him.

In a way, Holland's real tenure begins with this off-season. I guess we'll see what he can do.
I honestly can’t think of a trade in recent history by any team that’s as bad as that Reinhart trade. Chia destroyed this team in the span of a year.

Reactions: Yak and Smart Alek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad