Online Series: Asimov's Foundation series on Apple tv

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This show might be ok(not great, and probably not even good) for those who have never read, and loved the books, but for those who have, it's an abomination.

This series will not stand the test of time.

They're just not books that really lend themselves to the kind of narrative that fits in a TV series. Tons of time jumps and backtracking and plots that are only vaguely connected. It was very bold of the creators to undertake such a mission and I don't think they've done a bad job of it honestly. Lee Pace and Jared Harris are carrying it.

I read the books and while I enjoyed them, I preferred the Robot books more. While it is still imitation the series does allow for more people to enjoy the content of Asimov's work.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
They're just not books that really lend themselves to the kind of narrative that fits in a TV series. Tons of time jumps and backtracking and plots that are only vaguely connected. It was very bold of the creators to undertake such a mission and I don't think they've done a bad job of it honestly. Lee Pace and Jared Harris are carrying it.

I read the books and while I enjoyed them, I preferred the Robot books more. While it is still imitation the series does allow for more people to enjoy the content of Asimov's work.

I don't disagree with what you're saying about the layouts. I wouldn't mind a lot changes to the format of the story. I don't mind a closer connection from the outset between the robot series and the Foundation series... but when you start talking about changing fundamental aspects of the books, like how individuals don't really influence events and the Three Laws of Robotics... it goes to far.

It's sort of like deciding that the best person to take the One Ring to Mordor is Gandalf, because he can resist it's pull.

Reactions: Elvis P

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
... but when you start talking about changing fundamental aspects of the books, like how individuals don't really influence events and the Three Laws of Robotics... it goes too far. It's sort of like deciding that the best person to take the One Ring to Mordor is Gandalf, because he can resist it's pull.
Agreed. I don't mind the show, but the books are seriously flawed because there is no characterization.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Agreed. I don't mind the show, but the books are seriously flawed because there is no characterization.

I don't agree with there being no characterization in the books. There are some great ones in there. It's just that you have a trilogy where you follow each of them for a short period of time with no overlap. But I wouldn't consider the characterization of Gaal Dornick, Salvor Hardin, Lathan Devers, Hober Mallow, Bel Riose, Lathan Devers, Bayta Darrell, Ebling Mis, The Mule, Han Pritcher, Bail Channis, Arcadia Darrell, or Preem Palver to be lacking. It's just short and with little overlap outside of the specific stories they appear in.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Solid Finale. Lots of setup for Season 3 really all season long this felt like a setup season in many ways. Apparently season 3 was already filming when the strike hit so likely gets resumed when the strike ends. Very excited for that, but probably 2025 at the earliest at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad