Confirmed with Link: "As The Flyers Turn" - Front Office Deck Chairs Discussion Thread (Camillo Out/Sharp In/LeClair In)

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Cause you said it was terrible it's been on the TBR pile forever. Might never touch it at this point.

I still defend the first book, but the second was so bad that you definitely shouldn’t bother starting the series. It was awful in that specific “I have no idea where to go with this” way. Cap’s not exaggerating about The Wise Man’s Fear.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I still defend the first book, but the second was so bad that you definitely shouldn’t bother starting the series. It was awful in that specific “I have no idea where to go with this” way. Cap’s not exaggerating about The Wise Man’s Fear.
Agreed. I enjoyed The Name of the Wind, but desperately wanted Wise Man's Fear to end. At this point, I've almost forgotten about the series entirely.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I was re-reading Battletech chronologically but needed a break 20 or so books in and switched to the Dragonlance Chronicles tossing the Lost Chronicles in. It's so hard to believe the characters were friends.

Reactions: Chinatown88

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
In the lead up to the Amazon series i started reading the Wheel of Time series. I had to put it down in the second book as i'd grown bored to the point of self-destruction. My brother insists it gets better, but who has time for 3-4 books of dross?

It gets (slightly) better, and then it gets worse - it meanders off to nowhere for at least three (and some would argue six) full, gigantic books. Really good ideas, really atrocious writing. And that series is somehow infinitely worse than the books.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
It gets (slightly) better, and then it gets worse - it meanders off to nowhere for at least three (and some would argue six) full, gigantic books. Really good ideas, really atrocious writing. And that series is somehow infinitely worse than the books.

It's so bad (the amazon series) and I have no choice but to watch it. The saddest part is, while Jordan's writing had flaws, I loved the world, concept, story. This would have been the perfect opportunity to improve on that. For example, you're not going to see women "smoothing their skirts", or Nynaeve "gripping her braid" 50 times an episode. But instead we got...whatever that was. Also lost one of the better actors who also played my favorite character in less than one season. Blood and bloody ashes!

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
In the lead up to the Amazon series i started reading the Wheel of Time series. I had to put it down in the second book as i'd grown bored to the point of self-destruction. My brother insists it gets better, but who has time for 3-4 books of dross?

Haha, this was my approach to Dune when I first tried to read it in 6th-ish grade. Then I read it again as an adult and it's one of my favorite series ever. Yes, even the book about the dude who turned himself into a worm.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's so bad (the amazon series) and I have no choice but to watch it. The saddest part is, while Jordan's writing had flaws, I loved the world, concept, story. This would have been the perfect opportunity to improve on that. For example, you're not going to see women "smoothing their skirts", or Nynaeve "gripping her braid" 50 times an episode. But instead we got...whatever that was. Also lost one of the better actors who also played my favorite character in less than one season. Blood and bloody ashes!
The amazon series fell prey to PC, b/c if you have an isolated mountain people with a special genetic trait, duh, they're gonna look like each other.
Plenty of opportunities with other characters to build diversity but the main characters should look like they're at least distant cousins.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
The amazon series fell prey to PC, b/c if you have an isolated mountain people with a special genetic trait, duh, they're gonna look like each other.
Plenty of opportunities with other characters to build diversity but the main characters should look like they're at least distant cousins.

I was not a fan of that aspect, but I think that's far from the reason it sucked. It sucked because it blew. Manufactured diversity was just something for people to complain about online. The cast could have been all black, all white, all Asian, or anything else, and any mix of races. If the story was well told nobody cares. At least not reasonable people

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Kingkiller chronicle is a great example of a Mary Sue character.
Yeah, Kvothe is possibly the most irritating, insufferable protagonist I've come across in fiction. It's a shame, because the setting is pretty interesting, but holy shit is it hard to keep reading a book where you hate the main character.

I only finished the Wise Man's Fear because we had lost power due to a hurricane and I had nothing else to do with my time. I don't know which part was most aggravating. The Sex God who eats men letting him go because he sexed her up so good (despite being a virgin!), him 'learning' that you can make any woman in the world jump you bones if you say the right seven words to her, or the free love ninjas who didn't realize that sex makes babies.

@Chinatown88 don't do it to yourself, mate.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, Kvothe is possibly the most irritating, insufferable protagonist I've come across in fiction. It's a shame, because the setting is pretty interesting, but holy shit is it hard to keep reading a book where you hate the main character.

I only finished the Wise Man's Fear because we had lost power due to a hurricane and I had nothing else to do with my time. I don't know which part was most aggravating. The Sex God who eats men letting him go because he sexed her up so good (despite being a virgin!), him 'learning' that you can make any woman in the world jump you bones if you say the right seven words to her, or the free love ninjas who didn't realize that sex makes babies.

@Chinatown88 don't do it to yourself, mate.
I've never been happier to have no understanding of a post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad